UKC

Sardina vs Mallorca vs Madeira vs Corsica

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Juglan 22 Nov 2011
For a Honeymoon, mainly interested in what you think of the islands as I assume Mallorca is best for climbing
 Mark Bull 22 Nov 2011
In reply to Lupine Lacuna:

What else are you looking for apart from climbing (except the obvious ),and when are you going?
 lithos 22 Nov 2011
In reply to Mark Bull:

Corsica wold be my choice for HM, Mallorca for climbing
In reply to Lupine Lacuna: I've been to Corsica and Sardinia but not Mallorca. The climbing on both Corsica and Sardinia was excellent. I enjoyed both places, they have a little different culture with Corsica been more french and sardinia more italian.

I liked the scenery better in Corsica, the raging torrents and broadleaf forests going over to pine woodlands at higher altitudes.The climbing probably suited me too, Granite a bit more alpine type climbing etc (take sime trad gear!), we climbed 14 days of 16 we were there. I liked Restonica and col de bavella very much. Corte was a very nice place to eat out with and a pretty town.

I liked the people and beaches better in Sardinia and the climbing was also quite unique; we climbed Sole incantatore on aguglia goloritze which is probably one of my favorite bolted routes ever! We had a lot of fun drinking wine at local wine shops all over the place, you can take a 5l can and get it filled up from a "wine petrol pump"

I'd recommend either of the two to be honest.

barney800 22 Nov 2011
In reply to Lupine Lacuna: I've been to Corsica and Mallorca. I've only climbed in Mallorca and (unfortunately) I haven't seen much of the interior of Corsica. They're both lovely. Out of the two, I'd probably choose Corsica for a honeymoon. It seemed to have nicer beaches, and generally felt more romantic and exciting. It's also easy to have a week's holiday in Mallorca on the cheap, so maybe save that one for next year! If you do decide on Mallorca though, I can recommend you an excellent restaurant for the occasion.
OP Juglan 22 Nov 2011
Thanks guys, the more I read about Corsica the bettter it sounds, I had no idea such landscape existed in the med! Alpine type areas and forests! What are the beaches like? We prefer french food to italian so it would be preferred in that respect as well
 SteveSBlake 22 Nov 2011

I've been to all three, Climbing and a bit of walking - Corsica is an easy win (for me), the South is particularly beautiful. Followed by Mallorca, then Sardinia.

Steve

Peter Herold 23 Nov 2011
There are lots of new guides to Sardinia:-
1. new Lonely Planet guide in Jan 2012, a preview on three of the best walks (all interestingly going to/past places where there are MP routes) is on the LP web site http://www.lonelyplanet.com/italy/sardinia/travel-tips-and-articles/76875
2. a month ago the new Pietra di Luna was published: 3600 single-pitch routes plus the bolted MP routes on the Aguglia, you can buy it from Cordee
3. new Cicerone walking guide

Climbing the Aguglia is popular with honeymooners as is going to the secluded beaches on the E coast. Search for "Golor" on this web page http://eddiegianelloni.blogspot.com/2009/05/europe-4.html

ciao Peter
Rachel W 23 Nov 2011
> What are the beaches like?

Loads of beaches to choose from! http://www.holidaysincorsica.co.uk/Beaches.htm White sandy beaches, pebble beaches, beaches that are almost deserted... also lots of places inland to swim in rivers. Corsica is one of my favourite places!
 Mark Bull 23 Nov 2011

Scenery-wise Corsica is the pick of the bunch, I think. The beaches look lovely, too. The food is an interesting fusion of French and Italian (e.g. snail lasagne!). We stayed here: http://www.solemonti.com/ which was very handy for climbing at Bavella. The rooms are quite basic but the food was fantastic. One thing to be aware of is that driving anywhere off the main road can be very slow: the minor roads are hilly, windy, mainly single track and full of potholes.
 SFM 23 Nov 2011

Have been to Sardinia and Corsica. Would say that for a Honeymooon Corsica is your better bet. The beaches area amazing in Corsica. White sands, clear blue shallow water. We found that if you head out of main towns then the food and service is much better. The lunch we had in L'Ospedale for instance was far far nicer(and cheaper) than anything we had in Porto Vecchio(where we stayed).

Didn't do too much walking as it was too hot while we were there but the one day we did make it up to into the hills it was a pretty impressive how mountainous it is.

Lots of places of historical interest if that's your thing too.
 Russell Lovett 23 Nov 2011
In reply to Lupine Lacuna: Nobody any info on Madira, know there is some climbing (not a lot and it's suposed to be a bit loose) there but would be interested to here about any first hand experiances, going myself next year was only taking walking boots, but is it worth putting in my climbig shoes as well (even if it's just for some bouldering.
 Trangia 23 Nov 2011

Corsica

Where else in the Med could you climb an 8000 ft snow covered peak with ice axe and crampons in the morning and sunbathe on a lovely sandy beach in the afternoon?

I did just that one June day a few years ago.
 PATTISON Bill 01 Dec 2011
In reply to Lupine Lacuna: Corsica wins hands down for me ,had 5 trips there and just loved it.The mountains ,food .wine beaches,wine and people are second to none in my oppinion.Cant get enough of the place.
 Chad123 01 Dec 2011
In reply to Lupine Lacuna: Agree with the above, Corsica every time, Mallorca 2nd and Sardinia a distant third but still worth a visit. Stay in the Restonica valley if you want a mix of scenery and facilities or Bavella if you just want the views and some great climbing....Dos d'elephant if you can find it (not in english guidebook) is a world class route and the cragging in both places I mention is superb.....have fun....
 Chad123 01 Dec 2011
In reply to Chad123:

PS Also depends on what kind of rock you like climbing on, Corsica is mostly featured granite with a few average limestone crags, Mallorca is excellent limestone all over and has some great multi-pitch venues too like Sa Gubia.
 Tom Last 01 Dec 2011

Madeira climbing looks good, not been though.

http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=1746
 Robert Durran 01 Dec 2011
In reply to Chad123:
> (In reply to Chad123)
>
> Mallorca is excellent limestone all over and has some great multi-pitch venues too like Sa Gubia.

Nowhere near as varied limestone as Sardinia though, and the bolted multi-pitch climbing in Sardinia is really exceptional (pretty limited in Mallorca).

Tom Valentine 01 Dec 2011

For me,Corsica. Have scrambled a bit at Bavella and done a few short walks, plus a pathetic attempt at bouldering at Punta di Capineru (see Find Crags).

All the same, I went to Madeira a couple of times in the 80's and was very impressed by the scenery.If I was a wealthy man, Reid's would be my honeymoon
hotel of choice. We scraped up enough dosh for afternoon tea there.
 john ryden 01 Dec 2011
When are you honeymooning?
A couple of nights at the Roche Rouge at Piana above Porto would be the honeymoon, then some time crag time round Bavella & the beaches at Campomorro, or the east coast down from Solenzara out of season.
Should be a once in a lifetime...................
enjoy yourselves,John
 Skyfall 01 Dec 2011

I've been to Corsica, Sardinia and Mallorca. Mallorca was my least favourite. Sardinia - we went to Cala Gonne which had great climbing, was a really nice friendly Coastal town in a beautiful setting. Corsica has fantastic alpine type mountains but, personally, didn't enjoy it that much. Roads through the interior were a nightmare, locals rather hard work, climbing not v special imho (though lovely surroundings). If you're lucky Corsica would be best but I think Sardinia s more relaxed and reliable.
 PATTISON Bill 04 Dec 2011
In reply to Lupine Lacuna: Would agree with John Ryden.had 2 weeks at the Roche Rouge at Piana,expensive but you get your moneys worth,also spent 2 weeks at E Caselle near Venaco fabulous ,you can have your own chalet or stay in the main complex .River swimming outside the door and a decent crag 10 minutes away.Good access to Restonica etc .
 ChrisJD 04 Dec 2011

I've been to Sardina, Mallorca and Madeira, with lots of friends also having been to Corsica.

Of the four as a choice for honeymoon, I'd go to Corsica.

Not climbed much there but Corsica is great scenery wise - nicer than Sardinia. Just don't go there in peak season - gets a bit packed during French holidays.
 dave frost 04 Dec 2011
In reply to Lupine Lacuna: Myself and mrs frost had our honeymoon in corsica. It was fantastic. We stayed in 2 places, st florent in the north, and then went to corte, the main 'city' in the center.

Although we didnt go for the climbing really, there was loads there, and that was over 8 years ago. Its probably a lot better now.

If you heading towards corsica i would probably suggest a trip to sardinia as well, they close so wont take long. Hire a car! the public transport in corsica was a nightmare when we went.

Hope it all goes well.

dave
OP Juglan 05 Dec 2011
Thanks everyone.

From your experience of the roads, would riding my motorbike there be both scary and a bad idea?
 Skyfall 05 Dec 2011

By "there" - do you mean Corsica?

Mallorca and Sadrinia no problemo.

In Corsica the motorbike would be an advantage over a car. When I went (10 years ago give or take), the roads through much of the interior were a bit crazy. Narrow, often poor quality, over some quite mountainous terrain, and some mad driving by the locals (in one case we were forced off the road resulting in a badly damaged car). However, could be quite fun on a bike.
 dave frost 05 Dec 2011
In reply to Lupine Lacuna: i would probably say no to a motorbike unless you know the roads. They can be bit nuts, i would go for a small car, like a ka or something similar. Though we did have a ride on the pnly railway in corsica, from the north all the way down to corte, great fun and a nice way to see some of the islands scenic countryside.

Dont rely on taxis.

Cheers dave.
 PATTISON Bill 06 Dec 2011
In reply to PATTISON Bill: Another senior moment,it was the Cappo Rosso at Piana I stayed at not the Roche Rouge ,the food was fantastic.Sorry about that.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...