UKC

Chalk bags for Children?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 kerry cooper 02 Dec 2011
Hi a friend of mine has a 4 1/2 year old daughter who's well into climbing already. What she really wants from santa is a chalk bag so i said i'd help in trying to find one but i am really stumped on finding a chalk bag designed for children available in the UK, does anyone have any ideas/recommendations? it also, to make it that little bit harder should ideally be in pink!?!?

Thanks!
 Ian Dunn 02 Dec 2011
In reply to kerry cooper: Try goggling Tiny Chalbags made by Alex Waterhouse he is in the SW Youth Squad and really keen making chalk bags and stuff. If your on facebook he and his dad Phil are on there too.
 John_Hat 02 Dec 2011
In reply to kerry cooper:

Only an idea, but could you not get a standard/small chalk bag and stitch some furry pink material to it?
 winhill 02 Dec 2011
In reply to kerry cooper:

the TinyClimb chalk bags are being advertised in the premier posts ATM.

on facebook too.
OP kerry cooper 03 Dec 2011
Thanks guys! I've checked out the tinyclimb, could be just the thing we were looking for!
 Goucho 03 Dec 2011
In reply to kerry cooper: That's it - get them into using chalk young, so we can see even more V Diffs plastered in the stuff!
 winhill 03 Dec 2011
In reply to Goucho:
> (In reply to kerry cooper) That's it - get them into using chalk young, so we can see even more V Diffs plastered in the stuff!

It's important to toughen up their lungs from a tender age, so they get used to living in a magnesium carbonate smog.
 krikoman 03 Dec 2011
In reply to winhill:
> (In reply to Goucho)
> [...]
>
> It's important to toughen up their lungs from a tender age, so they get used to living in a magnesium carbonate smog.

BOOM!!!

nice one, chalk!?!?!?!
 Dave Garnett 03 Dec 2011
In reply to Goucho:
> (In reply to kerry cooper) That's it - get them into using chalk young, so we can see even more V Diffs plastered in the stuff!

You don't imagine they'll be climbing outside, surely?

glennofsheff 03 Dec 2011
In reply to kerry cooper: do 4 1/2 year old kids work up so much of a sweat they need chalk ?
 glennofsheff 03 Dec 2011
In reply to glennofsheff: do 4 1/2 year olds even sweat ?

MJ 03 Dec 2011
In reply to glennofsheff:

do 4 1/2 year olds even sweat ?

The only time a kid that age should sweat, is when they're sweeping chimneys.

OP kerry cooper 03 Dec 2011
the chalk bag is for a once maybe twice weekly visiy to the climbing works. They love going, they love climbing and want to be like the other climbers; hence the chalk bag wanted for christmas. please don't read too much into it!

FB 04 Dec 2011
In reply to kerry cooper: my 5 year old has a chalk bag in a monkeys bum ( a puppet which it was stiched into) he does not use it when climbing but it makes him feel like dad and the other climbers. If he likes it whats the prob each to there own. If people want to object to diff's with chalk on piss off and climb else where, it does no harm.

Nice bag hope she loves climbing with it.
 Goucho 04 Dec 2011
In reply to FB: That comment says so much about you, and also makes you look like a c**k!
 BoulderMonster 04 Dec 2011
In reply to Goucho: All I can say is this from someone who has taught climbing now for 10+ years. There is nothing wrong with kids wanting to be like mum or dad down the climbing wall, but however it is all about education. In my opinion if a child is sweating at that age from climbing the climbing they are doing is to strenuous and will be harming them. For example hence ABC (Association of British Climbing Walls) recommendation is climbing from 5+ and the Youth climbing championships entails no dynos no crimps etc because it is bad for kids growing hands. So if kids want to use chalk in an indoor environment, so what its plastic, but lets explain why we use it. But most important swearing or implying swearing in a thread that kids may read sort yourself out and get of your high horse because I know what example as an instructor I want to set to the kids and the language that is coming out of your mouth is not it. RANT OVER but the top well worth a read I feel, hehe
Ta
 Goucho 04 Dec 2011
In reply to EvolutionOutdoors: So everyone on here should moderate their language in case a 5 year old is reading it - FFS**** - get over yourself, this is an adult climbing forum!!!!

And as for my high horse, well, if berating people for using chalk on V Diffs is a high horse, then I'm happy to keep on riding it, because the fact is you don't need chalk on anything below E3 (and even then not on every move) - and it's a principle i've stuck to all my life - we're talking about a country with an average temperature of around 13 degrees, not Yosemite.

And if mummy and daddy use chalk on V Diffs, then of course their kids will follow example and do the same - soon people will be chalking up to open the boot of the bloody car!

So maybe Mr Instructor - you should spend your time educating your clients on the suitability of chalk usage on the crag, as compared to an indoor wall - instead of playing moral guardian on the use of profanities.
 Yanis Nayu 04 Dec 2011
In reply to Goucho:
>
> And as for my high horse, well, if berating people for using chalk on V Diffs is a high horse, then I'm happy to keep on riding it, because the fact is you don't need chalk on anything below E3 (and even then not on every move) - and it's a principle i've stuck to all my life - we're talking about a country with an average temperature of around 13 degrees, not Yosemite.

Could you produce a table for me of, perhaps, grade of route/temperature/body fat percentage of climber, that will allow me to know when you think it would be acceptable for me to use chalk?
 Goucho 04 Dec 2011
In reply to Submit to Gravity: If your profile is up to date, then your way off climbing hard enough to use chalk, so a table wouldn't apply by default.
 Yanis Nayu 04 Dec 2011
In reply to Goucho: That should be "you're way off", rather than "your way off".

Goucho 04 Dec 2011
In reply to Submit to Gravity: Bless you.
 TCCB 06 Dec 2011
In reply to Ian Dunn:
Thanks for the plug Ian

The Pink long hair Yeti is my best seller. I also do a short hair version.
I can also make them smaller or larger if people want.

Happy Climbing,
Alex
In reply to Goucho:
> (In reply to EvolutionOutdoors)

> this is an adult climbing forum!!!!

Wanna bet?

OCD climbing do bespoke bags too (to the OP)
 gribble 06 Dec 2011
In reply to TCCB:

Your chalkbags do look excellent - well done! However, my 4 year old was stuck on the Winnie the Pooh one (see ebay thread above)). Shame really, maybe a range of that sort of stuff?

To the posters regarding use of chalk. Yes, my daughter does like to copy daddy (who is prone to sweaty body parts) but performs best on the campus boards and overhanging grit when wearing chalk. It's the future, resistance is useless...
 tom_greenwich 07 Dec 2011
In reply to TCCB:

Will be getting one of these for my 5 year old daughter. She too likes to mimic her dad at the wall.

To those that say this is an 'adult' forum, I don't remember any age verification. Regardless, is it really required to resort to swearing if you have a well argued coherant basis for your arguement? I doubt you would use such language if this discussion was happening in a pub or at the local climbing wall?

Happy climbing

Tom
 Jenny C 08 Dec 2011
In reply to kerry cooper: Look at the prAna womens chalkbags as they are designed for girly (or IMO kids) hands so much smaller than most bags. No kids designs, but a range of bright girly colours and patters which should keep her happy.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...