UKC

Dissertation Help: Gender and Rock Climbing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 AndyT1151 08 Dec 2011
** Posted with permission of UKClimbing **

I am a student at the University of Cumbria, studying a degree in 'Outdoor Leadership'. For my dissertation I’m looking at if there is a difference between where males and females climb, with regard to indoor and outdoor rock climbing, with a brief look at why. I.e. do women climb indoor more, compared to outdoor, and why.

In total there are 12 questions; all are simple multiple-choice, except the last one which is optional.

Total time to complete the questionnaire is around 2-3 minutes.

I would be very grateful and appreciate any response!

Due to limitations on the number of questions you can use on survey monkey, I’ve had to split it into part 1 and part 2, so please DO BOTH!

Part 1: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/9TK5R7F

Part 2: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/9TV8NVB

Thank you in advance!

Andy
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 08 Dec 2011
In reply to AndyT1151:

Not another - is it the season?

Chris
 cfer 08 Dec 2011
In reply to AndyT1151: Done, Location would have been a good option for the question about why indoor over outdoor.
 Conf#2 08 Dec 2011
In reply to Chris Craggs:

This one's a load better then the last, though.
 cfer 08 Dec 2011
In reply to AndyT1151: I try to do all of them, none take longer than some of the obscure other crap I get drawn into reading on here...also when its my turn, guess where I'm going to post....
 gingerwolf 08 Dec 2011
In reply to AndyT1151: Done - one of the better studies on here!
Shame about the question limit on survey monkey!
 gingerwolf 08 Dec 2011
In reply to Chris Craggs:
> (In reply to AndyT1151)
>
>
> Not another - is it the season?

It is that time where you've gotta start doing your dissertation, yes!
Doing mine atm!

Tall Clare 08 Dec 2011
In reply to AndyT1151:

Done!

For future reference, Surveygizmo allows you to have lots more questions than that, for free.

It's 'effect' rather than 'affect' but that's just me being a pedant
Etak 08 Dec 2011
In reply to caseyfather: Done

But no idea how the questions you ask will answer the question you pose .......
 Jack Loftus 08 Dec 2011
In reply to AndyT1151: Done Andy. I did mine on here a few weeks ago and got some very good results. I found that any comment by users should be taken in a positive manner as they help to criticise your work.

Good Luck.
BPT@work 08 Dec 2011
In reply to AndyT1151:

Done.

Let us know if the results lead to clear conclusions.
 Howard J 09 Dec 2011
In reply to AndyT1151: The survey asks a lot of questions about peoples' attitudes to climbing outdoors. Why not similar questions about climbing indoors?
 TobyA 09 Dec 2011
In reply to AndyT1151: For your literature review, I guess you've seen this http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/news.php?id=1326 ?
 Bulls Crack 09 Dec 2011
In reply to Tall Clare:
>
>
> It's 'effect' rather than 'affect' but that's just me being a pedant

You're ot being pedantic; merely pointing out a wrong word!

better than most OP!
 EeeByGum 09 Dec 2011
In reply to AndyT1151: Done - but OMG - what a dull subject. Is this really as exciting as it gets? Just exactly how is this research going to make the world a better place?
In reply to EeeByGum:
> (In reply to AndyT1151) Done - but OMG - what a dull subject. Is this really as exciting as it gets? Just exactly how is this research going to make the world a better place?

A comprehensive list of where burds like to climb will become available?

Rog Wilko 09 Dec 2011
In reply to AndyT1151: Gender? What's wrong with sex?
 EeeByGum 09 Dec 2011
In reply to Rog Wilko: Well strictly speaking gender encompasses people who would define themselves as transgender.
 Milesy 09 Dec 2011
In reply to EeeByGum:
> (In reply to AndyT1151) Done - but OMG - what a dull subject. Is this really as exciting as it gets? Just exactly how is this research going to make the world a better place?

An example to learn the skills and techniques later required on other research. It is Academia. Wind yer neck in.
 Dave Garnett 09 Dec 2011
In reply to EeeByGum:

Even more strictly speaking gender doesn't encompass people at all.
 Voltemands 09 Dec 2011
In reply to AndyT1151: Done, pretty concise and simple.
 jkarran 09 Dec 2011
In reply to Turdus torquatus:

> A comprehensive list of where burds like to climb will become available?

Indoors and outdoors?
jk
 Duracell 09 Dec 2011
In reply to AndyT1151: done and done.
 Monk 09 Dec 2011
In reply to AndyT1151:

Done, and that is a decent survey. There has been so much dross recently that yours really stands out as well constructed and thought out. Good luck with the dissertation.
 Jack Graham 09 Dec 2011
In reply to Rog Wilko: Sex? What's wrong with gender?

Good survey OP, let us know of your findings.
 winhill 09 Dec 2011
In reply to Tall Clare:
>
> Done!
>
> For future reference, Surveygizmo allows you to have lots more questions than that, for free.
>
> It's 'effect' rather than 'affect' but that's just me being a pedant

It's not 'for Free', it's 'for Nothing', 'gratis' etc.

Please see the pet hates thread, we'll have none of this part time pedantry, it's all or nothing.
 Tall Clare 09 Dec 2011
In reply to winhill:

A fair cop, guv!
 Puppythedog 10 Dec 2011
In reply to AndyT1151: Done, nice survey. Good luck.
 heleno 10 Dec 2011
In reply to TobyA:
> (In reply to AndyT1151) For your literature review, I guess you've seen this http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/news.php?id=1326 ?

You might also want to look up Rachel Dilley's work on women and climbing (e.g via Google Scholar)

Tim_C7 10 Dec 2011
In reply to AndyT1151:

Done, pretty good survey.
 poeticshambles 10 Dec 2011
In reply to AndyT1151: The definition of 'gender' is someone's sexual orientation, i.e. homosexual, heterosexual. You mean 'sex'.
 Simon Caldwell 10 Dec 2011
In reply to poeticshambles:
> The definition of 'gender' is someone's sexual orientation, i.e. homosexual, heterosexual.

"Gender" has all sorts of meanings, but sexual orientation isn't one of them!
OP AndyT1151 10 Dec 2011
Hey everyone, I just wanted to say thanks again for helping me out and I am amazed at the amount of responses I have had.

I will try to get around to replying to all of your comments, but please do not be offended if I do not reply, I appreciate all of the comments and input, good and bad alike!

If anyone would like to see a finished copy or a summary, then I would be happy to send you one. Just send me a message and when it is all done and I have time (around April/May), I will send you a copy.
 Mike Nolan 10 Dec 2011
In reply to AndyT1151: You might be interested in checking out the survey which is stuck up in The Climbing Hangar (Liverpool) at the moment. It's gender based and covers all sorts of topics related to climbing. I'm sure if you emailed them, they'd send you a copy of the results.

Mike
 Max Hangs 24 Dec 2011
In reply to winhill: Wrong. Effect and affect are not synonyms.
 henwardian 24 Dec 2011
In reply to AndyT1151:
> I.e. do women climb indoor more, compared to outdoor, and why.

I think inclusion of this in your initial post was most unwise as it biases everyone to read your OP. The statement stongly suggests that you believe women climb indoors more and as a result I think your results will be tainted. You should probably start all over again or at minimum list this as a systematic error in your report.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...