UKC

TCA Glasgow Bouldering Comp

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 whistler 09 Dec 2011
So who's all going? I simply cannot wait for it! Heard a rumour that a some big names are expected too!

A few of us from Aberdeen will also try to have a quick blast at Dumby on Sunday. Waste of time or worth a try?

Piotr
 Fraser 09 Dec 2011
In reply to whistler:

Should be a good day in there. Talking to Rob the other evening who said there are teams from Aberdeen and Edinburgh expected, so it should be nice and jumping for the comp. Dave Mac was in on Wed. for his first visit, dashing round as many problems as he could before heading north again, which was fun to watch.

Not seen the forecast for Dumby over the w/e, but I suspect it might well be pretty damp, although something will probably be climbable, if you're determined.
 euanryan 09 Dec 2011
In reply to whistler: Should be a good comp! I'm just gutted, as i am now 18, i will be in the catagory with all the beasts....
OP whistler 09 Dec 2011
In reply to Fraser:

Heard Alex Puccio and Chris Parsons are going to make an appearance. That would be fun to watch!

Forecast is semi-decent but probably not enough to dry everything off after the "hurricane". Also thinking of Northumberland which has a better forecast and didn't get battered so much over last few days.

Bring on the comp!
 Roberttaylor 09 Dec 2011
In reply to whistler: Pretty game for the comp
 Fraser 09 Dec 2011
In reply to whistler:

Wouldn't it just! Can't see it being true, but you never know....I'll be there anyway, just in case.

In reply to euanryan:

Could be worse, you could be like me and in with the 'old beasts'.
 JLS 09 Dec 2011
In reply to Fraser:

Do you think there will be *any* problems punters like me could flash?

I am a bit worried that I'm supposed to have fun getting to at best the third or fourth hold of every problem.
 Fraser 09 Dec 2011
In reply to JLS:

No fear on that score J - this from their blog:

"The competition is onsight (1 attempt only per problem) with each hold scoring points so even the humblest of boulderers will get something on the score sheet and with about half of the problems in the Black to Red Circuit range there is really no excuse about not being strong enough. "
 JLS 09 Dec 2011
In reply to Fraser:

>"each hold scoring points"

Is that locking off on it and doing a one armer or a fleeting "tickle" as you make a mad lunge with the last of your strength before crashing to the mats from height, in bone breaking, soft tissue ripping pre-hospitalisation flight to destination injury?
 peterp 09 Dec 2011
In reply to whistler:
I'm afraid that I'm jumping ship and heading down to the County. The forecast looks fantastic and it seems to have been dry for the past couple of days so I'm expecting/ hoping that Kyloe-in will be in tip top condition. The comp will be great I'm sure but I haven't climbed on real rock since October..!!

Cheers,
peterp
 Fraser 09 Dec 2011
In reply to JLS:

That very questions was asked on Wednesday and Rob advised that the answer was yet to be determined. But a point's a point - where's the committment?!
Paul Twomey 09 Dec 2011
In reply to Fraser:

You get the points for holding the hold - ie a positive progression. There are no points for touching it. We rely on honesty as the competitors self score but we will be out on the floor keeping an eye on things. Those in the Adult and Youth categories who make the head to head will be judged on their routes.

We're just setting the comp wall for the head to head but there's a really nice set of problems. The TCA scoring system is very inclusive so even a complete beginner will get points on every problem.

We're all psyched for tomorrow and have some amazing pizzas (but get them early as they'll go like hot... erm pizzas! There is also a bus heading down from Dundee to add to the mix.
 JLS 10 Dec 2011
In reply to Paul Twomey:

All seemed to go well! The setting, I thought, was about right with the difficulty ramping up pretty smoothly from easy to nails.

Great effort from the team at TCA to stage such a good comp.
 euanryan 13 Dec 2011
In reply to whistler: Any idea if there are photos floating around from the comp?
 JLS 13 Dec 2011
In reply to euanryan:

Ha! You are it the first photo!!!
 euanryan 15 Dec 2011
In reply to JLS: Haha, oh aye! Not climbing mind!
 euanryan 15 Dec 2011
In reply to JLS: 11th! Not bad! I'm pretty chuffed with that!
 JLS 15 Dec 2011
In reply to euanryan:

Yeah, I'm impressed. Your climbing must be coming alone. The last time I watched you climbing was about a year ago and I don't think you'd have got 11th back then.
 Sean Bell 15 Dec 2011
In reply to whistler: Heard good reports from all that attended, gutted I missed the comp but looking forward to the next one.

Some good photos online from the day for sure.

You weegies are so lucky to have such a luscious bouldering space!
 euanryan 16 Dec 2011
In reply to JLS: Yeah, I got 4th in the SYC back in May. I've trained quite hard this year so it's good to see the results!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...