UKC

The best climbing sequence ever captured on video

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 wilkie14c 11 Dec 2011
Sport or bouldering probably doesn't have a place here - putting technical difficulty aside, this is about the situation, exposure, danger, history etc

A difficult question as I've a huge stack of climbing DVD's, I was going to first offer Johnny Dawes on the Quarrymen <Stone Monkey DVD> But as spellbounding as it is, Johnny was clipping bolts that perhaps took a little something from it? Anyways, my starter for ten is Jimmy Jewels solo of Left Wall. Not the hardest trad climb ever filmed by a long way but the coolness to pull that off plus it was 30+ years ago <Bith of extreme - the 80's DVD>

So, what can you offer?
 MJ 11 Dec 2011
 MJ 11 Dec 2011
In reply to blanchie14c:

Or maybe this one: -

youtube.com/watch?v=DWxOx2eSqdo&
OP wilkie14c 11 Dec 2011
In reply to MJ:
both valid to be fair
 Yanis Nayu 11 Dec 2011
In reply to blanchie14c: There was one, not too popular I din't think, about someone climbing really fast without a rope...
In reply to blanchie14c:

Probably and bit off post and already done on UKC but just stumbled across this on vimeo. Completely inpsired now not to moan at the Wall this afternoon.

vimeo.com/30899616

Mike Nolan 11 Dec 2011
In reply to blanchie14c: Has to be this:

youtube.com/watch?v=OX7p3jfr0mA&
OP wilkie14c 11 Dec 2011
In reply to ERU:

i know what I'd be using to spot that!
OP wilkie14c 11 Dec 2011
In reply to La Shamster:
Yes, that really is a true inpsiration, its on Welsh connections DVD IIRC? Paul Pritchards book is well worth a read too
 gingerwolf 11 Dec 2011
In reply to MJ: but what's he ever done on grit?! ;P
 deepsoup 11 Dec 2011
I think the Quarryman sequence mentioned in the OP has to be a strong contender, it being a bolted route doesn't really take anything away from it for me. Certainly not as far as "climbing sequence" goes, if you see what I mean.

Looking at the Dan Osman thing again, y'know it really *is* an amazing piece of film. Easy to forget that when you've seen it a hundred times.

I don't really get the radio tower thing. I mean the exposure is breathtaking, but there's nothing impressive about the climbing. Among other things, there are lots of Fred Dibnah clips that are more involving imo.

In reply to La Shamster:
> Probably and bit off post and already done on UKC but just stumbled across this on vimeo. ... vimeo.com/30899616

Wow. <speechless>
Hadn't seen that before, thanks for posting it.
 Goucho 11 Dec 2011
In reply to La Shamster: Poignant, inspiring and impressive.

Jack Whiteley 11 Dec 2011
In reply to blanchie14c:

For me Ueli Steck climbing the North Face of the Eiger in 2hrs 40 or something.

It was featured on UKC a few months ago, for someone who has never done winter climbing but has seen the face on ski trips and has heard stories of epic rescues and tragedies on the face it was really inspiring.
 Jonny2vests 11 Dec 2011
In reply to La Shamster:
> (In reply to blanchie14c)
>
> Probably and bit off post and already done on UKC but just stumbled across this on vimeo. Completely inpsired now not to moan at the Wall this afternoon.
>
> vimeo.com/30899616

Nice one mate, not seen that before.

To the OP - Sharma on Dreamcatcher. Backwards dynos et al.

youtube.com/watch?v=UlcQ3mxlNfs&

I win.
 Epsilon 11 Dec 2011
In reply to blanchie14c:

Alex Honnold's free solo of Moonlight Buttress.

youtube.com/watch?v=q5LBdQFoX6s&

Especially the sickening moment where he locks in a kneebar and pulls his hands off in a "check this out" pose.
 brianblock 11 Dec 2011
In reply to La Shamster:
> (In reply to blanchie14c)
>
> Probably and bit off post and already done on UKC but just stumbled across this on vimeo. Completely inpsired now not to moan at the Wall this afternoon.
>
> vimeo.com/30899616

I prefer this one on Johnny Dawes Vimeo vimeo.com/30859142
 Bulls Crack 11 Dec 2011
In reply to ERU:

If not then it's a strong contender for the worst soundtrack
 teflonpete 11 Dec 2011
In reply to blanchie14c:

Mate, look no further, this is truly inspirational.

youtube.com/watch?v=Ch9iWuINylg&
 olidea 11 Dec 2011
In reply to blanchie14c:
youtube.com/watch?v=s6oLK6SfT5A&

Nothing like starting a route with a few one arm pullups on two finger pockets.
 JBlackout 11 Dec 2011
In reply to blanchie14c: Has got to be this one, surely?-
youtube.com/watch?v=7s5KFbyBmrQ&
Enjoy!
JB
 Calder 12 Dec 2011
In reply to La Shamster:

Paul Pritchard has always been a hero of mine, but that video is just amazing. What an outstanding effort - and totally inspirational. I love it.
 Jamie B 12 Dec 2011
In reply to ERU:

I realise you're being tongue in cheek, but come on?!

It's an easy problem, the camera is all over the place and so is her footwork. If you just want to admire the female form there are better sites for that; some even show you some face...

Jim Walton 12 Dec 2011
In reply to blanchie14c: I've always liked this one of Simon Nadin crushing Beau Geste.

"Probably go for a flyer" is my starting comment for most of my climbs. My outcome is often different to Mr Nadins.

youtube.com/watch?v=O2zRgjv6LwE&
 Jim Walton 12 Dec 2011
In reply to Jim Walton: Who is watching him climb / holding the ropes.

Fliss Butler is one, but who were the others?
 jansmc 12 Dec 2011
In reply to blanchie14c: For coolness around 30 years ago it'd be hard to beat Eric Jones soloing Cemetery Gates in the wet, live on TV and doing a commentary in English AND Welsh. What a legend!
 Red Rover 13 Dec 2011
In reply to blanchie14c:

It's got to be this one

youtube.com/watch?v=3R3-YwDZrzg&
 yogi2749 13 Dec 2011
In reply to blanchie14c:

No no no, Its got to be Dean Potter free soloing Seperate Reality!!

Just Amazeballs.....

youtube.com/watch?v=8zyZvEBuw_4&
 yogi2749 13 Dec 2011

>
> To the OP - Sharma on Dreamcatcher. Backwards dynos et al.
>
> youtube.com/watch?v=UlcQ3mxlNfs&
>

I also agree with this too!
 Darron 13 Dec 2011
In reply to La Shamster:

I have a close friend (a climber, ex of this parish)who has suffered a similar brain trauma to PP. It will be my task when the time is right to take him up to Windgather to get him up a few routes again. Thanks a lot, that vid has provided plenty of inspiration.
 GrahamD 13 Dec 2011
In reply to Darron:

Good luck with that. My mate (also ex of this Parish and taker of my profile pic) is happily pretty much on the mend from a serious head injury after an initial very touch and go period.

For the sake of his partner he's decided to hang up the rock boots for good and who can blame him ?
 al123 13 Dec 2011
In reply to Red Rover: around 1:50 Fred does a sort of double dyno! Bit of a johnny dawes i reckon old fred was
 mark catcher 13 Dec 2011
In reply to blanchie14c: Anybody know where we can see footage of The Dawes climbing Downhill Racer one-handed? I saw it once when he showed it to a crowd and even though he was standing there, I was convinced he was going to die. Brilliant.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...