UKC

Coaching an aspiring comp climber

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 kipper12 11 Dec 2011
I am looking for some advice on helping a very well motivated young climber to improve their comp performance. They appear to have good technique/strength but can let pressure get to them and not achieve what they are capable of. I suspect this is quite common amongst many aspiring sports people.

In particular I am looking for some useful reading, any help very mush appreciated.

Paul at work 11 Dec 2011
In reply to kipper12:

Any of the Inner Game series of books maybe a good starting point. The skiing one is probably more closely suited to your requirements that the Tennis one!
 ashley1_scott 11 Dec 2011
In reply to kipper12:
A book based on NLP (Neuro-linguistic programming)
 lanky and weak 11 Dec 2011
In reply to kipper12: as a competition climber i can tell you that the only person who is going to help a young competition climber stop being nervous etc is themselves. Becoming fitter and climbing better will give them better results and increase self confidence. As far as my experience goes, that is by far the most effective method.
 J B Oughton 11 Dec 2011
In reply to kipper12:

As an 'aspiring comp climber', and having a really hard time at the Youth Open this weekend, all I can say is get them competing as soon as possible. This will get them used to the competition conditions, stresses and most importantly the mindset, because it won't be their physical ability that'll let them down, but their mentality.

All the little kids have been competing as long as they have been climbing, so being in that focused but relaxed mindset is second nature to them, and that can be the way for your kid too, if they're good enough!
 John Kettle 12 Dec 2011
In reply to kipper12: the book called 'Bounce' by Matthew Syed gives a good accessible introduction to common psychological issues for competitors. It gives many examples of ways to prevent 'mental choking' during high-pressure performances and how to manage stress levels.
It might also be worth reminding your climber that 'train to compete' and 'compete to win' are two separate phases of their development, you can't really skip a phase!
If you can figure out the external conditions that increase their performance anxiety you may also be able to replicate them in training.
John

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...