UKC

Riglos

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Phill Mitch 19 Dec 2011
I am planing to go to Riglos in the spring, have searched and not found much advice on best time to go or places to stay.All searches are non commital about weather, is that to say there is no best time? As for places to stay, we would not be camping, is the refuge the only place in town?
The routes look amazing!
Thanks for any help Phill.
 eugeneth 19 Dec 2011
In reply to Phill Mitch: We were there in April and the weather was great!! Some friends of ours were there for 10 days and dont think it rained for them.

There is the refuge but there are other self contained places in the village (similar to French gites). There is a website that I saw them on before we went but I cant remember what its was called, nor how much things cost. There are a few villages sort of nearby where there may be some other places to stay.
 Ally Smith 20 Dec 2011
In reply to eugeneth:

We were there in October and had excellent weather. I'd expect spring to be similar. Wild camping is tolerated on the rough ground just after you turn off the main road towards Riglos. Alternatively there's a turd infested layby hidden behind the bridge off the same main road.
 Tyler 20 Dec 2011
In reply to Phill Mitch:

I was there mid-Nov and it was plenty warm enough and it was cloudy, most of the routes face the sun so I'd imagine it can get pretty hot at most times of year.

We stayed in the refuge which was very good if a bit clinical (big and new rather than rustic). 30 euros for bed, dinner and breakfast (20 euro for bed and breakfast)
 Carless 20 Dec 2011
In reply to Phill Mitch:

I was there for a day in mid August (which I wouldn't necessarily recommend but was surprisingly ok). Did Fiesta which I definitely would recommend
OP Phill Mitch 20 Dec 2011
In reply to Phill Mitch: Thanks a lot everyone. Any tips on eating out around there or shops and cooking? I think we may stop in the refuge but not sure how big the town is and what to be prepaired for.
Our aim is to have a go at fiesta but think we will do plenty of other stuff too.
 Tyler 21 Dec 2011
In reply to Phill Mitch:

The town is tiny, there is a very small shop but I wouldn't plan on using that to buy all your food in for an extended stay as there's not much there and the opening hours seemed short. There is also a bar which I think does food.
 Alfrede 21 Dec 2011
In reply to Phill Mitch: Dear Phill. I live just down the road from Riglos in Huesca. I may not be around when you are there as I will be working in the Canaries but I could give you lots of info on the area and meet you if I was there. I also have a friend who lives in the town and climbs 7a/b and he will be around. Get in touch with me via my email at alfredorob2@yahoo.es and we can chat. And you are right, the routes are amazing though not everyones cup of tea!
OP Phill Mitch 21 Dec 2011
In reply to alfredito: That's brilliant thanks I will be in touch a bit closer to the time. I think we may be coming ing the spring sometime.Thanks again.
 Alfrede 23 Dec 2011
In reply to Phill Mitch: Hi Phill. I have had some walking tours cancelled so I will be home in Huesca from 20th to 25th February and from 12th to 29th March so if you are around then get in touch. By the way the alternative accommodation in the village mentioned below belongs to the bar EL Puro. None of the locals use the refuge despite it being cheap and comfortable because the bar owner is a popular climber and the bar itself the real climbers hang out. My spare room floor is even cheaper if I am at home of course and only half an hour away! There is meant to be a new guide coming out around now to replace the existing (awful!) guidebook but as usual it is endlessly delayed. If I am not around I should still be able to give you some local contacts. Ciao, Alf
OP Phill Mitch 23 Dec 2011
In reply to alfredito: Ok that's great thanks. I think we may come in April or May any clues as to the weather about then? We are at the moment a party of 2 but could be more. Thanks for your help.
 adnix 25 Dec 2011
In reply to alfredito:

The El Puro bar has the topos printed on the walls. I suggest eating out since menu del dia is only about 12 euros - wine included. Breakfast will be better self catered though. There are some pics and a short trip report on my site www.patagonia.fi.
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 25 Dec 2011
In reply to Phill Mitch:

We got pleasant rooms in a hotel/hostel type place down in Murillo de Gállego by the main road. Can't remember the name but it was on the right as you drive north. About a 10 min drive from Riglos. We also stopped in the rooms above the bar in Riglos (this was before the Refuge was finished) and the owner was fanatical about us not cooking in the rooms - we did it in the car park instead.
Riglos is a brilliant but spooky spot!

Chris
OP Phill Mitch 25 Dec 2011
In reply to Chris Craggs:Thanks very much. May well have a look down the road cheers. Spooky spot eh ? Can't wait.
 adnix 26 Dec 2011
In reply to Phill Mitch:

The bolted routes everybody climbs are safe but the routes with little or no fixed gear... =)
 dominic o 26 Dec 2011
In reply to Phill Mitch:

I was in Riglos in October and we stayed at the Refuge - thoroughly recommended with very comfortable accommodation and great food. You can book on line at http://www.refugioderiglos.es/en/

I've just finished writing this trip up as a part of an article on "Big Routes" for the Rucksack Club Journal so here's a brief Trip Report extracted from there to help you psyche for your visit:

The opportunity for a ten-day trip with Bill in October presented itself
and I knew just the source for inspiration. Arnaud Petit, author of Parois
de Légende - Les plus belles escalades d’Europe, is French. If you hadn’t
guessed from his name (or known from when he was world climbing
champion in 1996), one look at the contents list of his book is a give-away.
Just eight of the 34 chapters concern routes outside France, and of these
only two are in Spain (and don’t include the Peñon d’Ifach or El Ponoch).
To beat off that stiff competition and Monsieur Petit’s love of his mother
country these Spanish inclusions must be pretty special — Bill and I
decided to go and see for ourselves.
We headed for Riglos, a small mountain village about an hour south of
the Pyrénées, more or less in the middle of the neck of the Iberian
Peninsula. This is a climbers’ village — the sign on entering says it all:
‘Bienvenedo a Riglos — Escala con seguridad’ with a picture of a vulture to
emphasise the consequences of ignoring the advice. The spacious modern
refuge is situated on the main street, immediately below the Mallos de
Riglos — a series of 300m conglomerate towers or ‘cathédrales de
poudingue’ to use the French vernacular from P de L — literally ‘pudding’.
This hardly does justice to the most extraordinary rock structure that I’ve
come across anywhere — culminating in the giant potato-shaped rocks
(think rugby ball size) that encrust the top of La Visera.
Our warm-up introduction to ‘le poudingue’ was Murciana ou Alberto
Rabada, a 290m 6c+ on El Pison, the biggest of the Mallos. Bill and I were
completely blown away by the quality of the climbing on this crazy rock.
Any initial concern about testing the attachment of the various lumps was
soon discarded — there’s no way you could hang on long enough. These
routes are to be climbed with confidence or not at all. We later turned our
attention to the cigar-shaped spire of El Puro on the side of El Pison to
complete Chapter 34 of P de L.
That left Chapter 33: La Visera — the aptly named ‘Visor’ whose top
100m overhang at an angle of about 20 degrees the wrong side of vertical.
Three routes make up the chapter: Moskitos the original (from 1976) and
most classic at 6b+; Zulu Demente has the hardest single pitch at 7a+ but
is otherwise fairly amenable; and, last but not least, La Fiesta de los
Biceps. As the name suggests, this is a full-on jug-fest of sustained and
unrelenting brutality on the arms with barely a move below 6b+ and a
couple of 7a pitches thrown in for good measure. Being unredeemed
‘tickers’ we had to do all three and they are all superb. Los Biceps is oft
touted as ‘The Best Route in The World’ and whilst I think you’d have to
add ‘...of its type’ to that superlative, you’d be hard-pressed to argue.
Looking up from the refuge your eye is drawn to the white snail-trail of
chalk which weaves its way up this improbable ground. Looking down from
near the top of the visor headwall you realise that it’s more like someone
has spilled icing sugar down the side of a particularly sloppily sliced
Christmas pudding, frosting the currents, sultanas and almonds that break
the surface and add enough texture to climb on. Some of these ‘potatoes’
are the size of TV sets!

If you want more info then drop me an email. Have a great trip (and watch out for the vultures!)

Cheers Dom
OP Phill Mitch 26 Dec 2011
In reply to dominic o: Sounds fantastic Dom, I feel we need to be ready for a shock. But after all that's what we're looking for.
Thanks again. Phill.
 nv 05 Jan 2012
In reply to Phill Mitch: I'll be heading out to Riglos the first week of April for a week. If you'd like to share petrol or hire car cost let me know. If not, I'm sure a drink or a social get together should be in order. It's always nice to get to know others that share a hobby. I'm a student so I like to keep things cheap though! ...
OP Phill Mitch 05 Jan 2012
In reply to Nick Valente: That would be great but we are considering the end of april or start of may, if it changes will let you know. Thanks.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...