UKC

NEW ARTICLE: Climbing - It's a team sport

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Articles 20 Dec 2011
WC BRNO 2009, 5 kbUKC User Allymar takes a look at the friendly world of competition climbing, and why he thinks it is actually a team sport.

"You climb or compete quite alone, right in the moment up on the overhang. No-one can help you. Your success is yours alone. But I have never seen such inspirational and selfless teamwork as I see in this sport in competitions and outdoors..."

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=3921

silverstone 20 Dec 2011
In reply to UKC Articles: Nice piece Alistair and with the 2012 Youth Climbing Series just a few weeks away (in Scotland at least) we will soon witness more of that sportsmanship on display
 Yanis Nayu 20 Dec 2011
In reply to UKC Articles: I'm not remotely motivated by competition climbing, despite being a competitive person. However, I thought this was a really good and interesting article.

I did wonder while reading it though if the Olympian ideals discussed haven't soaked through from "normal" climbing, and whether they'd remain if money and greater glory played a greater part, and if there were greater separation between "normal" (for want of a better word) and competition climbing.
 winhill 20 Dec 2011
In reply to UKC Articles:

That's a great photo but the article just doesn't seem to make much of a point.

I've been very impressed by the way competitors cheer each on at youth comps but never thought of it as a team thing.

It's sportsmanship not team work.

If anything, it devalues sportsmanship if we are so obsessed by the word 'team' these days that we use the phrase to mean other things just because the word itself resonates.
 koalapie 21 Dec 2011
In reply to UKC Articles: What have you got against Andre Agassi? Didn't he win all 4 slams. What have you won on grit? k
Reading this made me consider my other chosen sport, sailing. At a grass roots level, the folk (adult and kids) I see racing each other every week, I see most of the positives highlighted in this article about competitive climbing. I think it may be the similar nature of mother nature as the opponent, although sailing does have a little more of the direct competition element.
I'd like to add a word of caution regarding the 5 ring circus. I don't see those elements of the sport so clearly at the elite end of the sport and I don't put this down to the competitors. The sport is put under pressure to conform to the requirements of the olympics, appealing to TV audiances etc. Sailing actually has a different rule book at the elite events supposedly to add a more athletic element and make it more appealing to the TV, but for me fundamentally change the sport.
I'm just hoping this sytle of sport doesn't move to the grass roots and if climbing is selected to the 5 ring circus the governing bodies fight to preserve the attributes highlighted in this article.

Gareth
Jim at Work 21 Dec 2011
Interesting, though I suspect there are other 'minority' sports which exhibit supportive behaviour.
what have you got against us oldies by the way? - I know there are a few (!) grumps on the forums, but they aren't all old, and some of us still retain a sense of humour and of perspective! (our grammer & spelling is better too!! )
Jim at Work 21 Dec 2011
In reply to Jim at Work:
PS spot the deliberate mistake!
 AlisterM 21 Dec 2011
In reply to Jim at Work:
>
> what have you got against us oldies by the way?

I meant old as in 'conservative'; not to be ageist. Apologies! Really referring to the 'what's he ever done on grit' brigade that don't or won't see competitions as part of the whole and who fret that they'll produce more climbers wanting to get on 'their' rock. Never met one at a crag, though - perhaps they only exist on here!
 Max Hangs 21 Dec 2011

Can't help thinking these points are applicable to any form of climbing...probably just sour grapes on my part though as I prefer trad!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...