UKC

Snowshoes and Vaccinations for Kyrgyzstan

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 RKernan 21 Dec 2011
Going to the Western Kokshaal-Too in Kyrgyzstan this summer on a university mountaineering club expedition and have seen a few expedition reports that have recommended snowshoes. They're not particularly cheap (or light) - does anyone know if they're actually worth bringing?

Also, regarding vaccinations, Are Hep B and Rabies worth getting? They're expensive and I'm not sure they're worth it.
 Tim_C7 21 Dec 2011
In reply to RKernan:

how do you judge if vaccinations are worth getting based on personal experience?

All the best with exped
ice.solo 21 Dec 2011
In reply to RKernan:

little japanese snowshoes are smaller and work ok for approaches. may even find local versions if you chance it.

dogs are a big problem in central asia. consider it. when you see the fcukers you will understand.
its not nepal where they can chopper you to a half decent medic if things go wrong...

hep B also - half the population has some form of hep.
 Bruce Hooker 21 Dec 2011
In reply to RKernan:

> Are Hep B and Rabies worth getting?

I caught hepatitis in N Pakistan, from drinking water probably, and it knocked me flat for a couple of months when I got back. I am also convinced that my liver never fully recovered So I would say yes to that question. As for rabies, there are loads of semi wild dogs in Central Asia but you don't have to get bitten... On the other hand if you do and you are far from medical care it's a nasty way to go. Once bitten the injection to cure you is a particularly painful one I'm told.
 elsiem 21 Dec 2011
In reply to Bruce Hooker:
I imagine that was Hep A you caught from water as Hep B results from exposure to infectious blood or body fluids containing blood.
 Hannes 21 Dec 2011
In reply to RKernan: Nice, what is your objective?

When we went end July we didn't particularly need the snow shoes on "our" glacier however the slovenians that were there as well and had been for two weeks when we arrived said they were up to their waists in slush on other glaciers and were very happy to have their skies. They however had 50cm of snow as they were driving in which wasn't particularly helpful for them whereas when we went up we were walking on pure ice. The sarychat glacier was solid whereas the fersmana looked like it was a death trap of fluffy snow and crevasses. During the actual climbing we did, we didn't miss them much and would certainly not have carried them on account of weight, I mean I left my three micro nuts as they weighed too much.

As for vaccinations, there didn't appear to be any rabid dogs in Bishkek and we didn't stop long enough in Naryn to see any. My friend who lived there at the time said they weren't a problem out running so none of us got the vaccinations. Hep B is trickier as that you only really need if you were to need blood transfusions locally, I have it through occupational health so I obviously didn't need it but none of my mates bothered.

You've probably seen our website http://kyrgyzstan2011.kclamc.org/ and I've just put some pictures up on flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/hannesgranberg/ Send me an email if you want more info on anything!
 Dim Dringo 21 Dec 2011
In reply to Hannes: Definitely saw some extremely dodgy looking dogs in Naryn, they were hanging around in gangs!! Saying that i didn't have a rabies jab. Had Hep A, B and Typhoid i think. I am higher risk cos i don't have a spleen.

Am off for my Yellow Fever and Malaria stuff soon for a trip to Kenya in Feb!

Didn't use snow shoes in Tien Shan in September, although would have been nice to have my ski blades for some of the descents!
OP RKernan 21 Dec 2011
In reply to Hannes:
Cheers for that info. Snow-wise it seems to be very nuch dependant on the weather.Might pick up a cheap pair of Decathlon snowshoes and see what they're like this winter.
Will consider Rabies and Hep B shots. Hep B looks more useful than rabies.
Apparently there are 3 helicopters in Kyrgyz mountain rescue, anyway! (whether they work... different matter)

Our objective is the Dzhirnagaktu glacier, west of Kizil-Askar. One recorded visit. THanks for the info!
 luckywally 07 Jan 2012
In reply to RKernan:

definitely get the jabs.

rabies is valid for 3 years too so if you do plan on travelling again in any similar areas you already have it.

it also gives you extra time - essential for where you're going. it could make a big difference and for the sake of £100 or so i would definitely say get it.

Hep B vaccine lasts for 5 years, get them!
Removed User 07 Jan 2012
In reply to RKernan:

As for the snow shoes, the best ones on the market are MSR and they are really tough, easy to put on and very light.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...