UKC

Johnny Dawes interview in the Guardian

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Skyfall 21 Dec 2011
In reply to Chris the Tall:

Thanks.

So how'd he steer the car whilst not inside it?

Hah. I remember Johnny doing a Q&A on here about eight years ago with JCT as interpreter/typist. He was insisting then what climbing told you 'what', not 'who' you really are. Times change, I guess.

Wonder which of his Gogarth climbs he's been repeating. Are there any others except Hardback T and Conan the L?

jcm
 Reach>Talent 21 Dec 2011
In reply to JonC:
It is quite a common trick in some circles, I think the "yoof" terminology is "ghost riding". I wouldn't suggest it as a good idea
 LaMentalist 21 Dec 2011

cheers good article that . Just ordered the book on the strength of it . I find climbers autobiographies can be a little too introspective sometimes & thus difficult too read ( for me ) , so I often avoid them . I'm hoping this changes my view some what .
 LaMentalist 21 Dec 2011
In reply to JonC:

I've used a couple of well placed bungees in the past , personally I prefer urban surfing ( on the roof whilst somebody else drives ) , I'd love to do it on the roof of a high speed train one day .

On the back of a pick up stood upright surf style is hell of craic , at least until the vehicle spins out on a bend then into a ditch , thank heavens I was very very drunk .

And remember kids its not big & its not clever !
 gethin_allen 21 Dec 2011
In reply to LaMentalist:
"I'd love to do it on the roof of a high speed train one day ."

My dad (former H+S auditor on the railways)told me that someone got electrocuted surfing a freight train when the train changed tracks onto a electrified line with overhead wires. The bloke had to be peeled off the top of the shipping container.
 LaMentalist 21 Dec 2011
In reply to gethin_allen:

ooh messy Gethin very messy 80( .

Maybe I'll take it off the list of things I'd still like to try then.
 Timmd 21 Dec 2011
In reply to johncoxmysteriously:
> (In reply to Chris the Tall)
>
> Hah. I remember Johnny doing a Q&A on here about eight years ago with JCT as interpreter/typist. He was insisting then what climbing told you 'what', not 'who' you really are. Times change, I guess.

I can remember a John Redhead Q&A, but not a Johnny Dawes one, I think you might have your climbers mixed up.
 Timmd 21 Dec 2011
In reply to Stig:

Oops, my apologies to jcm.
 whodared 22 Dec 2011

Extra Dawes info - read how the Guardian reported the first ascent of the Indian Face in October 1986:
http://bit.ly/vGnWQj

Also The Scoop.

Cheers
 David Rose 23 Dec 2011
In reply to whodared: I wrote that 1986 article with my dear old mate Rog. The mere fact that Binky Beaumont has interviewed Dawes again in December 2011 does suggest we were right - that Indian Face really was a milestone. Maybe in its way it was also a terminus: I know there are now harder trad climbs, but arguably none quite as inspiring. Anyhow, it's good we're all still around to remember it.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...