/ Soft Shell trousers winter use

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
alasdair19 on 26 Dec 2011
Hi

I'm considering changing my tried and tested goretex plus fleece system and am interested in peoples experiences.

There seems to be three options
windstoper
Paramo goodness
schoeller style
arkteryx Burly 1,2 or 3.
other own brand. Patagonia?

I have some good quecho grey things. Quite light but worked well in the alpine summer

looking for a good scottish day outfit that I can ski tour in.

opinions please
Simon Wells - on 26 Dec 2011
In reply to alasdair19:

Have used the "quecho grey things" for a lot of winter stuff with merino legging underneath.

Good for 'steaming' into routes as they are very breathable,then gortex trousers over the top to climb if the weather is poor.

In shocking weather, working with slow group I'll wear Keela salopettes with powerstretch, shocking weather personal climbing I'll wear quecha stretchy waterproof trousers with braces and thigh cooling zips.

The real enemy in winter climbing is getting to hot!
joe.91 - on 26 Dec 2011
In reply to alasdair19: patagonia backcountry guides with base layers underneath is my standard, dry all day and super warm. Never had wet or cold legs even in storms in scotland, also have some stretch element pants if i want more protection.
shaymarriott - on 27 Dec 2011
In reply to alasdair19:

North Face Apex soft shell trousers seem good - warm but breathable, and they fit well (at least they fit me well). Robust too - I've dragged my way up a fair few routes in them and they are none the worse for wear!
MJF - on 27 Dec 2011
In reply to alasdair19: I've been using the Arc'teryx Gamma SK pants for all my ski endeavours for the last few years, they've also done a handful of days Scottish Winter climbing in fair weather. While I do rate the pants, they are very durable and perform excellently in cold alpine environments, I do usually turn to something with a little bit more protection if the forecast isn't looking superb which for me is the Mountain Equipment G2 pants which are what I've done the majority of my Scottish climbing in in recent years.

I wrote a review of the Arcteryx pants on my website, there's also a link to the Alpine Guides site at the bottom of the article and those guys seem to love their's for Scottish winter.
http://www.matthewforshaw.com/2010/03/arcteryx-gamma-sk-pant-review.html

My G2s are on there way out and I'm considering replacing them with Arcteryx's Fury AR pants, basically a wind stopper version of the Gamma SKs.
Styx - on 27 Dec 2011
In reply to joe.91:
> (In reply to alasdair19) patagonia backcountry guides with base layers underneath is my standard, dry all day and super warm. Never had wet or cold legs even in storms in scotland, also have some stretch element pants if i want more protection.

This.

They're amazing pants, paired with Patagonia Capilene 2 leggings I've never had a single bad day out in Scotland, the Lakes or Wales. Just brilliant kit.
JoshOvki on 27 Dec 2011
In reply to alasdair19:

Mountain Equipment G2 Pants are pretty good too.
Alan Breck on 27 Dec 2011
In reply to alasdair19: Mountain Equipment G2 Pants definitely. Just bought a second pair in case they become obsolete. Might need a very thin pair of "long johns" if you get cold hanging about on a belay.
In reply to alasdair19: Have a look at the Haglofs range. Cotswold stock a good Schoeller model.
Steeve - on 27 Dec 2011
In reply to alasdair19:

another vote for backcountry guides.

although this season im also trying out vapour rise pants, with a hardshell for the climb.
novik - on 27 Dec 2011
In reply to alasdair19: have a look on Rab Vapour Rise Guide Pants, very comfy,warm and stretchy.

http://rab.uk.com/products/mens-clothing/soft-shell/vapour-rise-guide-pants.html
ads.ukclimbing.com
neilnt - on 27 Dec 2011
In reply to alasdair19:

Just got myself a pair of patagonia Northwall pants (their improved version of buffalo). Very light, warm and breathable.

Yours,

Neil Newton Taylor

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.