UKC

Stove Fuel

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
ttrmike 08 Jan 2012
I'm finding stove fuel a major head ache. I've used unleaded for a good while now but after buying a new stove (Optimus Nova+) I'm not overly impressed with the performance on good old jungle juice.
The info on the alternatives across the web is so mixed its rediculous; naptha, white gas, coleman fuel, panel wipe, so on and so on ... !
Has anyone got any tips on the what fuel to use with multi-fuel burners.
Best I've found so far is an old tin of primus fuel that I've had in the shed for a few years. Would be great to heear what others are using/finding effective?
Cheers
 marsbar 08 Jan 2012
In reply to ttrmike: I've not tried it myself, but I've heard that chainsaw fuel is good value and cleaner than unleaded. Worth a try maybe?
 LastBoyScout 08 Jan 2012
In reply to marsbar:
> I've not tried it myself, but I've heard that chainsaw fuel is good value and cleaner than unleaded. Worth a try maybe?

With the added bonus that if you over-cook your dinner, you'll still be able to cut it up :-D
ttrmike 08 Jan 2012
In reply to marsbar: I've seen mention of this Mars but I'm a tree surgeon and I've never come across a specific chainsaw fuel. Could be the Aspen 4t is formulated for saws. May be worth further investigation, and could do my saws the world of good to boot, lol!
 karinh 08 Jan 2012
In reply to marsbar:
Most chainsaws run on an unleaded + oil mixture
Phil Payne 08 Jan 2012
In reply to ttrmike: I got fed up of using dirty petrol in my MSR and have been using coleman fuel which has proved to be excellent. Not tried anything else, so can't comment on other fuels.
ttrmike 08 Jan 2012
In reply to Phil Payne: Although it seems expensive it does seem like the most reliable option thus far Phil.
 Dave 88 09 Jan 2012
In reply to ttrmike:

I've always used diesel on my msr and never had any problems except for a slightly smokey pre-heat.
 Aigen 09 Jan 2012
In reply to ttrmike: I am now using the V Power Petrol (the expensive petrol from pumps) in my Primus Omnifuel. I think it burns much better than desil and petrol. I think the higher the octane the better the burn. Give it a go but make sure you are priming the stove correctly as well.
nikkormat 09 Jan 2012
I've no personal experience of this, but I'm sure I read that someone on OutdoorsMagic had found panel-wipe (used for cleaning car bodywork prior to painting) to be as good as Coleman and far cheaper. I think there may be a few of different types though, some suitable and others not.
 ScraggyGoat 09 Jan 2012
In reply to ttrmike:
After fifteen years of burning unleaded in a MSR XGK, I swapped to Aspen 4T as a treat to my new Primus Omnifuel. Much cheaper than Coleman, more expensive than petrol, harder to find.

Nice clean controllable burn, burns very well and bar the odd pricking of the jet haven't had to do any servicing in over a year.

Make sure you get the 4T version NOT the 2T.
In reply to ScraggyGoat: Second the Aspen 4T.

The guy at the local garden machinery shop is always bemused when outdoorsey types come in asking for it!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...