UKC

the arch

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
jj32 08 Jan 2012
new wall being built somewhere in london anyone know anymore
Strongbeard 09 Jan 2012
In reply to jj32: under an arch. that's a massive clue for you to ponder over.
 morpcat 09 Jan 2012
In reply to jj32:

I'm confused, are you referring to the bouldering wall "The Arch"? Which isn't new, is already built... Unconfuse me please.
 BGG 10 Jan 2012
In reply to jj32: Possibly Battersea or Clapham I think.
ImpendingDoom 10 Jan 2012
In reply to BGG:
The Arch Climbing Wall is situated on 6 Bermondsey Street, SE1 2ER, about 4 minutes away from London Bridge Tube Station.

Hope that helps

abbotsmike 10 Jan 2012
In reply to jj32:

To clear up a little, this video has appeared in the last few days

vimeo.com/34699586

It has been put up by the arch climbing wall, and seems to hint at either another extension, or another 'arch' somewhere...
 BGG 10 Jan 2012
In reply to ImpendingDoom: thanks, I go there about 4 times a week...

They are opening a new wall, which I believe is going to be in Battersea or Clapham.
 morpcat 13 Jan 2012
In reply to jj32:

Excellent! I'll make sure to ask next time I'm there. We should probably do as their website says: "Want to know more? Check our website again on the 21st of January at 6pm….."
 philbish 13 Jan 2012
Possibly not related to "the arch 2" but there will be a new wall called urban ascent opening by parsons green, here's the website http://urbanascent.co.uk/blog/
 BGG 15 Jan 2012
In reply to philbish: it's unrelated to the arch2.
 Voltemands 20 Jan 2012
In reply to jj32: Any news on whether this'll be another extension or a new location yet? I know I should wait till tomorrow but I'm bored...
 Voltemands 21 Jan 2012
In reply to jj32: Ok so my phone won't play the video... What's the result? New center?
 Max factor 22 Jan 2012
In reply to jj32:

never minding the new stuff (?) have there been any resets in the arch in the last week?
fred_stone 22 Jan 2012
In reply to Max factor: Yes. Just check the twitter feed on our website
 SARS 22 Jan 2012
In reply to philbish:

Awesome, I've just moved to putney - that is on my doorstep! Will join it me thinks.
 Max factor 22 Jan 2012
In reply to fred_stone:

thanks Fred, did have a look at the website but didn't spot it. then again I don't 'do' twitter, too old school.
 BGG 06 Feb 2012
In reply to jj32: new video on their website which kind of reveals it - it's not Battersea/Clapham as I had thought...
l.d.sandrak 06 Feb 2012
kev74 06 Feb 2012
In reply to BGG: but where is it ?
 ClimberEd 06 Feb 2012
In reply to BGG:

and?

I hope it is. Huge hole in walls in that area - either locally, or easy by public transport.
 Quiddity 06 Feb 2012
In reply to 654g:

The clues are in the video, use google street view. The name of the video ('hob nob') is also a clue - you will know when you have found it. It is not Battersea/Clapham.

I am well excited, it looks amazing.
kev74 06 Feb 2012
In reply to Quiddity: i might need a bit more help your not dealing with sherlock holmes here
 ClimberEd 06 Feb 2012
In reply to Quiddity:

So actually not very far at all from the current Arch.
 BGG 06 Feb 2012
In reply to jj32: yes, very close really.

One further clue is that the name of the guy in the video (who works there) is Clem.
kev74 06 Feb 2012
In reply to jj32: i found it
 roofus 07 Feb 2012
In reply to jj32: Have a look here:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=100+clements+road,+bermondsey&hnear=100...

I'm too excited can't wait to see the finished product.
 ClimberEd 07 Feb 2012
In reply to roofus:

Just a pity it's even further out from central london in a largely irrelevant direction. I'm very disappointed.
fred_stone 07 Feb 2012
In reply to ClimberEd: Sorry mate, we'll stop the build right away then
Just out of curiosity, further out of central London than what? Walking distance from London bridge and the city, 2 mins walk from a jubilee line tube stop just outside zone 1. It is already amazing and it's not even done yet.

ClimberEd 07 Feb 2012
In reply to fred_stone:

I'm sure the space is brilliant, and I will visit, but SE London is basically no mans land in the bigger scheme of things. 'London' really stops at London Bridge, or thereabouts, in that direction.
 doz generale 07 Feb 2012
In reply to fred_stone:
> (In reply to ClimberEd) Sorry mate, we'll stop the build right away then
> Just out of curiosity, further out of central London than what? Walking distance from London bridge and the city, 2 mins walk from a jubilee line tube stop just outside zone 1. It is already amazing and it's not even done yet.

I wouldn't exactly call it walking distance from the city. If you worked near liverpool street you wouldn't be able to nip down for a lunchtime boulder as its about 40 min walk. It is a bit of a no-mans land out there but by no means too far for an evenings climbing session. I used to work pretty close by. i wish you had built a climbing centre there a few years ago!

Good luck with it
 John Gillott 07 Feb 2012
In reply to fred_stone:

Are you still / are you planning to open early in the day at the new place, ie mornings as well as afternoons and evenings?

And have I got my maths right, that the square footage of wall will be about 20% more than the Climbing Works in Sheffield (just so I can picture it)?

fred_stone 07 Feb 2012
In reply to doz generale: It is a 2 minute walk from a jubilee line underground station which is literally 1 stop away from London Bridge, 3 stops from Waterloo. It is a super accessible location. If someone is coming by bike, which loads of our regulars do, it will be almost no difference in time. Even if they wanted to walk from London bridge train station, they would still be here in less than 15 minutes.

Am very intrigued by the notion that London stops at London bridge. I take it there are only 2 walls in London then, us at London Bridge and West 1, given that the other existing walls are way further out in every direction from the centre of town? I like it, Mike, Tig and us, in Monopoly!
 Jay81 07 Feb 2012
In reply to jj32: excellent, about 5 mins walk from my house. No excuses about not becoming a complete beast now...
 ClimberEd 07 Feb 2012
In reply to fred_stone:

Well the centre of town isn't really the centre, it is more centre/east. So London Bridge is already SE London, rather than central.

Distance from home, not work, is what (I would suggest) counts for most people, which makes the city, the west end, and mayfair, a blank zone.

(as you asked.)
fred_stone 07 Feb 2012
In reply to ClimberEd: Fair 'nuf. London bridge is def a little south of central, I always think of the centre as Piccadilly, tottenham court road, westminster, even waterloo etc.

As to whether people use a wall near to home or work, I can make a few guesses.

Anyway look forward to having a climb with you in March! Back to the painting...
kev74 07 Feb 2012
In reply to jj32: i always thought the center of london was my house wich means the westend is actually the northeast westend and the east end the north eastend.And if london does stop at london bridge i live in surrey and im paying too much council tax but i cant wait for the new wall.
 flaneur 07 Feb 2012
In reply to ClimberEd:

> Just a pity it's even further out from central london in a largely irrelevant direction. I'm very disappointed.

Nah...I don't go saaaaf of the river mate </cabbie>
 daveyji 08 Feb 2012
Anywhere south of the Thames is well dodgy I think
However as The Arch is so good I'll make an exception and venture into Mordor occasionally. Only a few stops from Canary Wharf so no further than Arch 1 really for me. Well done Fred.
 Quiddity 08 Feb 2012
In reply to ClimberEd:

> I'm sure the space is brilliant, and I will visit, but SE London is basically no mans land in the bigger scheme of things. 'London' really stops at London Bridge, or thereabouts, in that direction.

Quality Claphamcentric strop

'in the bigger scheme of things' ie as far as you are concerned.

You've got urban ascent on the way, quit your moaning.
 catt 08 Feb 2012
In reply to fred_stone:

Good job Fred looks like it's going to be an awesome new facility in London now, and probably, easily the best connected for transport links. You forgot to mention it's proximity to the new East London line too, makes it handy for people even up Dalston and Stokey way. The Castle better sort their sh*t out!

Anyone who thinks London stops at London Bridge doesn't have a scooby! It's called The City for a reason...

Will be interested to check it out next time in London, see how you compare to TCA Weeg. New walls like these are where it's at while older enterprises like The Castle move farther and farther from being walls for climbers.
 ClimberEd 08 Feb 2012
In reply to Quiddity:

I actually don't care much for Clapham to be honest, however I still stand by SE London being no mans land. Nothing to do with the location of the new Arch.
 ClimberEd 08 Feb 2012
In reply to Quiddity:
> (In reply to ClimberEd)
>
> [...]

>
> You've got urban ascent on the way, quit your moaning.

Urban Ascent is nowhere near Clapham, or Battersea, it's Parsons Green.
 viking 08 Feb 2012
In reply to catt:

Hi mate! Hope you're doing well oop really north!

Fred, it look's like you're going to be getting a few Castle regulars changing allegiances...I'm definitely gonna consider my Castle membership once I've tried out the new venue.

Good work - it's about time we had something like this south of the river
Jsteel 16 Feb 2012
In reply to ClimberEd:
Urban ascent's only 15 minutes walk from imperial wharf station which is one stop from Clapham Junction. Not that far really.
 tom_greenwich 17 Feb 2012
In reply to fred_stone:

Does anyone know if this place will replace the current Arch, or is it an additional wall?
 jhw 17 Feb 2012
The Castle is and will remain the best wall in London...
 daveyji 17 Feb 2012
In reply to jhw: Yes, if you like queing for every route while groups of 3-4 beginners take an hour to climb each route. Then have a relaxed chat between attempts oblivious to those around them. Queing for ages to get on a boulder problem just as some ignorant tw** walks up and jumps in front of you. Sweating like a pig upstairs and freezing downstairs. Grading that bears no semblance of reality. ShallI continue?
The castle used to be excellent but now it just seems a money spinning business venture.
 jhw 17 Feb 2012
The Arch is the only place in London I've ever had to queue to do a route (and you don't even get to do a "route" after the queue because it's just bouldering)!

No fair enough the Arch is great, I went and liked it, but it didn't compete with the Castle which has a cracking atmosphere and loads of ancillary events and a good shop with a proper climbing bookshop and connections with climbers who actually go outdoors and history etc etc etc etc
fred_stone 17 Feb 2012
In reply to fred_stone: what do you even mean by "connections with climbers who go outdoors"? What an odd idea.
 Bonzkars 17 Feb 2012
In reply to fred_stone:

Can you expand on that Fred? - That's some mega intel
fred_stone 17 Feb 2012
In reply to bonzka: Sorry just deleted that post as it was a bit negative about that other comment. Single price for both centres, both for memberships and multiple entries, and no price increases at all. They both have pretty different feels about them already, so hopefully they will complement each other well. First sets happening Monday onwards with Gaz, it's going to be a looong week!
 Bonzkars 17 Feb 2012
In reply to fred_stone:
well that's just bloody marvelous!
fred_stone 18 Feb 2012
In reply to Jsteel: Hope today goes well, looks great!
 Morgan Woods 18 Feb 2012
In reply to viking:
> (In reply to catt)
>

look's like you're going to be getting a few Castle regulars changing allegiances...I'm definitely gonna consider my Castle membership once I've tried out the new venue.

traitor....I cast thee out!
 jules699 18 Feb 2012
In reply to jj32: Absolutely loving the new location - as a SE resident, its even closer to me than the arch 1 - woop woop! Cant wait to check it out. Will probably flit between the two venues for sessions...providing the best coffee in London is also going to be available at arch 2

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...