UKC

Rope Repair

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JLS 11 Jan 2012
At the weekend there was an unfortunate incident when my climbing partner stood on my rope pressing it, with great force, on to a piece of broken glass. This caused a partial severing of the rope which makes it look a bit unsafe. I know I can't just super glue it and don't wish to compromise on safety so I'm thinking I should have it professionally repaired.

Can anyone recommend somewhere that will repair my rope? It's only 15 years old but my climbing partner has just been made redundant and so I'm reluctant ask for the full price of a new rope. I think if he pays for the repair then I'll be happy.
 Sir Chasm 11 Jan 2012
In reply to JLS: Duct tape.
cb294 11 Jan 2012
In reply to JLS:

Melt the sides of the incision over a candle, stick them together quickly.
 EeeByGum 11 Jan 2012
In reply to JLS: Yawn.
 funsized 11 Jan 2012
In reply to JLS:

good try....but remember that complete novices use this site, and could easily take this as true.
 Tophe 11 Jan 2012
In reply to funsized:

That's a good thing! It's like natural selection, kill off the stupid/dangerous people right away.
 jon 11 Jan 2012
In reply to JLS:

Shouldn't be a problem. I always mark the middle with a sharp knife.
 Robert Durran 11 Jan 2012
In reply to JLS:

If the core is severed or partially severed, just tie a knot in it. Repair the sheath with duct tape. As good as new! All this stuff about discarding damaged ropes is complete nonsense propagated by manufacturers to try to boost their profits.
 nniff 11 Jan 2012
In reply to JLS:

If you tie an overhand knot around the damaged part (or an alpine butterfly if you'll be climbing overseas), then this will clean gear from the pitch as you climb, enabling the second to climb much faster without having to stop to extract it.
 Andy Hardy 11 Jan 2012
In reply to JLS:

If you know any Scouts they could probably splice it f.o.c.

If you, your mum or gran is handy with needles you could probably knit it back together.

Don't forget though the repair will be a bit bulky, so it'll be farewell to the gri-gri and welcome back figure-8.

BMC disclaimer applies

HTH

Andy

In reply to JLS:
> Can anyone recommend somewhere that will repair my rope? It's only 15 years old

Troll
 nniff 11 Jan 2012
In reply to Christheclimber:
> (In reply to JLS)
> .
> [...]
>
> Troll

I didn't know that they repaired ropes.......
 Mike Nolan 11 Jan 2012
In reply to JLS: Can we stop the stupid threads, they aren't that funny anyway. A beginner could easily search for 'rope repairs' and look at this thread.
In reply to Mike Nolan:
> (In reply to JLS) Can we stop the stupid threads, they aren't that funny anyway. A beginner could easily search for 'rope repairs' and look at this thread.

And what conclusion do you think he would come to?
 hokkyokusei 11 Jan 2012
In reply to nniff:
> (In reply to Christheclimber)
> [...]
>
> I didn't know that they repaired ropes.......

Yes, but the cost of sending the rope to Norway can be prohibitive.
 nniff 11 Jan 2012
In reply to Mike Nolan:
> (In reply to JLS) Can we stop the stupid threads, they aren't that funny anyway. A beginner could easily search for 'rope repairs' and look at this thread.

No, you're quite correct. A partially cut rope is not funny at all. Especially if it's an old one you've treasured for years.
 Mike Nolan 11 Jan 2012
In reply to James Paul Robinson: That a majority of the 'climbers' on here are thick and have probable never even climbed before.

Seriously though, it's all well and good for you or me looking at it and recognising it as a troll, but for a new climber who's just destroyed his rope, he may read the super glue bit mentioned in the first post and go away and glue the rope.
 GrahamD 11 Jan 2012
In reply to Mike Nolan:

I'd like to think that even as a beginner I was capable of making my own decisions regarding a partially severed rope.
 JoshOvki 11 Jan 2012
In reply to JLS:

What thickness rope was it? Anything under 6mm and you are buggered sorry, otherwise superglue and duct-tape are the way forward.
 dek 11 Jan 2012
In reply to JLS:
Try and have your Gran Darn it, then soak it in a strong solution of Glucosamine overnight.
jim hughes 11 Jan 2012
In reply to Mike Nolan:
> (In reply to James Paul Robinson) That a majority of the 'climbers' on here are thick and have probable never even climbed before.
>

That doesnt read quite right to me, pot and kettle!
dan 11 Jan 2012
In reply to JLS: Send it up to me and i will splice it for you, it will be good as new.
 Jordon Fleming 11 Jan 2012
the chances of the core being fine if it has been thred into glass are very slim so i would recomend you either cutt the rope if it is near the end or replacing it better safe than sorry
 John Ww 11 Jan 2012
In reply to Jordon Fleming:

Well it's not my turn.............
 butteredfrog 11 Jan 2012
In reply to Jordon Fleming:

Well done JLS, you've hooked one!
 Wile E. Coyote 11 Jan 2012
cIn reply to Mike Nolan: Get a grip mike lol
 Timmd 11 Jan 2012
In reply to James Paul Robinson:
> (In reply to Mike Nolan)
> [...]
>
> And what conclusion do you think he would come to?

They could be a female beginner climber...
 Mel Turnbull 11 Jan 2012
In reply to JLS: Hi not funny i had a guy turn up on a climbing day and he had a tape on his rope, not at the centre when i checked it it was damaged and he did not see the problem.
 jon 11 Jan 2012
In reply to Mel Turnbull:

Good job you were there then.
 Hannes 12 Jan 2012
In reply to Mel Turnbull:
> Hi not funny i had a guy turn up on a climbing day and he had a tape on his rope, not at the centre when i checked it it was damaged and he did not see the problem.

Isn't that standard practice while big walling? If its just a small nick a bit of finger tape over it is recommended.

However, nice try
needvert 12 Jan 2012
In reply to Hannes:

Seems so, the book I just finished suggested exactly that.

I wouldn't be overly surprised if more than a few after seeing a hole in their sheath stopped and thought for a moment if it was repairable. And maybe a hot knife could unfuzz that bit...

Personally I thought it was distasteful to suggest asking for your climbing partner with no money to pay for the damage! Being stupid isn't so bad as being stupid and a tightass.

In reply to Timmd: Apologies. Your quite right.
 nniff 12 Jan 2012
In reply to needvert:
> (In reply to Hannes)
>
>
> I wouldn't be overly surprised if more than a few after seeing a hole in their sheath stopped and thought for a moment if it was repairable. And maybe a hot knife could unfuzz that bit...
>
It's generally considered to be poor form to repair a sheath and is unlikely to impress the lady. The moment you pick up a hot knife and attempt to unfuzz that bit, well, there's going to be a fight.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...