UKC

Are photos safe on Flickr?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 BenAds360 11 Jan 2012
I've just started using Flickr recently and have found it very useful for getting some exposure for my work and more importantly some useful feedback.

I was flattered the other day when someone sent me a message saying they had voted one of my photos of Nicaragua their photo of the day in their Nicaragua group.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/fstopimages/6533340793

However on further investigation i realised they had actually used my image on their own blog that is used to promote their B+B business in Nicaragua. They had fully credited my image and reference the fact it came from flickr but it did make me think how secure are my images on Flickr???

Has anyone else had issues?

Ben

www.f-stopimages.co.uk
 IceKing 11 Jan 2012
In reply to beneboy: Photos aren't secure anywhere if you post them on the Internet. There are some security features on Flickr, check out your account settings. But if you want the exposure from posting online you have to accept that some people will take without asking. Personally I get far more benefit from the exposure than I do from people nicking them, it works for me but regardless of what security is applied you can always screen capture an image. Personally I wouldn't worry. Flickr gives you access to a large community with the good and bad of that.
 IceKing 11 Jan 2012
In reply to IceKing: Oh and when it happens I pursue them to take it down. They do 75% of the time, the others I just let ride. But I've made thousands from the opportunities that have come my way which would never have happened without the exposure on Flickr. Some people think photos online are fair game so when you point out they've nicked them, they say sorry and take them down. I see it like freeware, they sometimes get low res images but it gives me opportunities to sell hi-res. I would watermark your images though.
interdit 11 Jan 2012
In reply to beneboy:

> it did make me think how secure are my images on Flickr???

About as 'secure' as they are on your own website.
 IMA 11 Jan 2012
In reply to beneboy: thought about stamping them so that it isn't a pure image, tends to be a background with your name or company. As said above no image is safe due to the amount of ways u can copy and paste
OP BenAds360 11 Jan 2012
In reply to interdit: Fair point! I'm still working on that.
OP BenAds360 11 Jan 2012
In reply to IceKing: I've got a small watermark in the bottom right corner of most of my images but judging by the fact no one has noticed it maybe it's not big enough!

I wasn't too bothered by this particular incident, it was more the principal of it and it's implications in the wider sense.

Andy S 12 Jan 2012
In reply to beneboy: well, they're not secure, but you have full copyright, so you can hold people to account if they violate that.
 chris fox 13 Jan 2012
In reply to beneboy:

I too have had a photograph taken from Flickr and put on a blog, although i was linked to the pic and it also credited to me, i have also been asked for permission to use a photograph for an online guide and was also told beforehand they would not be able to pay for the use. Both times i agreed for the use.
I am sure there are plenty of others of mine that are floating round via ctl/c and ctl/v !
I reduce my pictures in size to around 100kb (6x4) using pixresizer http://pixresizer.en.softonic.com/

Chris
Never You Mind 13 Jan 2012
In reply to beneboy:

Are you sure this post isn't simply an attempt to plug your own website?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...