UKC

NEW ARTICLE: The North Howser Tower

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Articles 24 Jan 2012
Instep Crampon, 2 kbIn this article Stuart34 gives his account of a fun, but slightly cold-footed trip to the Bugaboos in Canada. His novel approach of spiked running shoes pays off, but perhaps it's best to 'not try this at home!'

"As I handed over my visa debit card and paid for the $19.99 Adidas running spikes my inner monologue had only one line for me: 'You are an alpine climbing genius!' Light is right..."

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=4352

Ontherocks 24 Jan 2012
In reply to UKC Articles:
not a bad idea!
When we did it, we just had trainers, and rocks as ice axes!
 jacobjlloyd 24 Jan 2012
In reply to UKC Articles: love it!
Frogger 24 Jan 2012

Excellent reading, thanks!

henwardian 24 Jan 2012
In reply to UKC Articles: Great read.
I'd love to see a few more stories like this full of the same kind of dry humor in the news articles on UKC.
 sparkass 24 Jan 2012

Good job Stu, I hope you know the 'cut the handle of your toothbrush' trick for further weight saving.
izzzzzz6 25 Jan 2012
The funniest thing about this article is that i was living with Stewart when he met Kim, he had posted a notice in Chamonix in either the guides office or the Mairie stating that he was looking for a climbing partner. When he got the reply that Kim was interested he trundled off down to Chamonix all happy thinking he was going to meet someone of the fairer sex, when he met Kim he was a little surprised to see a Big Tasmanian kid, with a name like Kim what was he to think? Well they certainly did get close in that bivi (bivvy, bivy?) bag. None the less Stew didn't do too badly that season, and Kim did prove to be a great climbing partner although he is a bit lazy around the house. Bloody Tasmanians! But seriously, great guys, and thanks for leaving your uncles cooking pot Kim, it's still my favourite piece of cook ware!
 jon 25 Jan 2012
In reply to izzzzzz6:

There's even a route called 'When Kim was a girl's name', in Arapiles I think(?), having a bit of fun at Kim Carrigan's expense.
 crispyboy 25 Jan 2012
Good to see your inner monologue is as equally retarded as your outer monologue
 fire_munki 26 Jan 2012
Very dry and very funny.
 jon 26 Jan 2012

In the arrogance of youth, I descended from Bugaboo Spire in rock shoes and inevitably fell over on the snow and dislocated my left ring finger. I'd not heard of instep crampons at the time, but the idea of running spikes did enter my mind...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...