UKC

Winter Boots Similar To Meindl Respond?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
NarwhalDancer 24 Jan 2012
Hi, I'm looking to get some winter boots for walking in mainly muddy/peat-bog conditions on the moors around the Saddleworth area and over towards Black Hill. I have tried lots of different boots but most gave me blisters every time I went walking. Then I finally tried a pair of Meindl Respond Mid GTX boots and they are perfect. I never get blisters at all.

I think I have quite a fast walking style so I need lightweight boots to stop my feet getting so hot. I think because the Meindl's feel like trainers and are very comfortable, I don't notice I'm wearing them as much and my feet stay a lot cooler and don't blister up.

The only problem with the Meindl boots is that they're not very waterproof and with it raining a lot where I go walking and I have to cross a few streams/dodge waterlogged paths, I keep getting my feet wet. Not soaking wet but still enough to notice it. Also, my boots have rubbish grip in the wet, particularly in mud/peat. When it has rained a lot, the paths get washed away a bit and I need some good grip when going down hill.

I've been looking at the Inov 8 Roclite 400 GTX and Salomon Wasatch WP/Deemax 2 Dry boots. I know the Inov 8's aren't particularly designed for winter use but as they are made of nubuck leather they might offer a bit better waterproofing (I'm not that impressed with GTX waterproofing as it's more water-resistant than anything and is pretty useless most of the time). Plus the Inov 8's seem to have great grip, not sure if it's still good in the wet though.

The two pairs of Salomon boots are designed for Winter use so I'd expect them to perform well. I know Salomon boots have a reputation for being very comfortable and that's what I'm after. Something lightweight and comfortable to make sure I don't get blisters.

Has anyone got any experience of these boots or can recommend any others that will do the job I want. I want something as similar to my Meindl's as possible so I can avoid getting blisters and I know the Meindl's work brilliantly for that.

Thanks for any help.
 Dauphin 24 Jan 2012
In reply to NarwhalDancer:

Forget the 400 GTX for anything but spring/summer trail walking which they excel at - next to no ankle support and will take a long time to dry out when filled with shit from the winter pennines. Found them pretty good on screes and scrambling in torridon last summer but no toe protection - ouch!

D
In reply to Dauphin: Thanks for the advice. I've seen similar reviews saying they don't give any ankle/toe support and they seem to be made of very thin material to achieve the lightness. I think you're right and they wouldn't be much good for Winter use, so that's those off the list.
 mrchewy 24 Jan 2012
In reply to NarwhalDancer: Why not try some waterproof socks inside the Meindl boots?
In reply to NarwhalDancer: The GTX (ie Gore-Tex) version of these Mammut boots might be suitable: http://www.ukhillwalking.com/gear/review.php?id=4273

All depends whether they fit you or not of course, as ever with boots.

N.b. Asking specifically for 'winter' boots might get you replies about proper (ie crampon-compatible) winter boots, when what it sounds like you're after are just waterproof lightweight summer boots.
In reply to NarwhalDancer: I see you mention Inov-8 roclites too, I've found them pretty good on wet muddy fells, see this review: http://www.ukhillwalking.com/gear/review.php?id=3552
In reply to mrchewy: I suppose my main concern is more to do with the boots' ability to grip in wet weather. Where I go walking is on a variety of surfaces such as gravel-based/tarmac paths, rocky tracks, grassy hills and muddy/peat-based moorland. So when it is wet then it can become very slippy, especially seeing as a lot of the ground can give way underfoot.
 mrchewy 24 Jan 2012
In reply to NarwhalDancer: Ahh, I see. For what it's worth, I have a pair of Inov8 390s. Good grip on mud, grass, gravel etc but not so much on rock.
 Dauphin 24 Jan 2012
In reply to mrchewy:

These Roclites stick like shit to a blanket - shame they don't do a slightly sturdier upper with toe protection; would be imo be the perfect boot. Anyone got a gaiter to work with them well?

D

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...