UKC

Hammocks and climbing - there is a link, I promise

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Milla 15 Oct 2001
First off, apologies for the slightly random nature of this post...

My chap and I spent this weekend trying to put a hammock up in our sitting room, all to no avail. We used heavy-duty expansion bolts in solid brick walls, and thought we were doing quite well until the whole thing started to collapse during the inaugural swing.

I'm calling on you rock people because you're bound to be SO much more helpful than the teenager in Wickes.

Is there some kind of climbing bolt system we can use instead? Or are we simply too lardy for help? Somebody please come to the rescue.
Jo 15 Oct 2001
In reply to Milla:

sounds like you maybe drilled the holes too big before you put in the bolts? or maybe not.....
Milla 15 Oct 2001
In reply to Jo: Well, it said 15mm drill, so, like good little people, we drilled 15mm. That said, my Dad said it's really easy to distort that measurement very easily...

You're right though, it was like chucking a sausage down an alley putting the bolts in. ARGHHH! It's so FRUSTRATING. And it's swinging there so temptingly.
Tim, the Grey one. 15 Oct 2001
In reply to Milla: Hilti do a 2 pack epoxy resin, used for attatching bolts, to sport climbs.
I don't know any more, sorry.
Check Hilti's web site, also www.petzl.com, who sell the same stuff, under licence.

Tim, the Grey.
P.S. 2? In 1 hammock?? Are you acrobats, or gymnasts???
Squawk 15 Oct 2001
In reply to Milla: Buy some epoxy putty from a motoring store and fill the holes with it (correctly mixed) then push a piece of threaded bar, often called studding, into the holes. If the holes are bigger than 15mm diameter you will need to use 14mm bar. Then fasten your hammock to the section of bar remaining out of the hole with a 14mm nut. Remember to leave 24 hours before swinging about on it as it takes awhile for the epoxy to cure. Hope that helps. You can use chemical metal instead of epoxy putty but it stinks .
Milla 15 Oct 2001
In reply to Tim, the Grey one.: It's a monster one, with room for, ahem, up to four people...

Are neither acrobats nor gymnasts - merely a couple of lazy slobsters who appreciate a jolly comfortable snooze. After the "hilarious" collapse this weekend, it's unlikely anything remotely energetic will be happening. In the hammock.

Thanks for the advice. Will look into it.
Milla 15 Oct 2001
In reply to Squawk: Thanks to you too...
 sutty 15 Oct 2001
In reply to Milla: If the stuff coming out of the wall is grey and it was easy to drill you have no chance of the bolts staying in as it is like putting them in chalk. Get some flanges for the opposite side of the wall with a screwed rod straight through and put a picture on the exposed bit to hide it.
If it is red brick and you have drilled the holes too big use the resin method.
Whatever you do DON'T get four people on the hammock. the wall might collapse!
Enty 15 Oct 2001
In reply to Milla:
Any type of anchor is only as strong as the stuff your fixing into.
Good fixings;
Stone
Solid Bricks
Concrete
Concrete blocks
Bad fixings;
Plaster
Plaster board
Bricks with holes through them
Hollow concrete blocks

there are different types of bolt for different stuff. If you need any more detail, e mail me

Enty
DaveR 15 Oct 2001
In reply to Milla:
could you not get a couple of oak trees?
OP Anonymous 16 Oct 2001
In reply to Milla:

You could try contacting Hilti on 0800 886100 or http://www.hilti.com/gb/

Tell them what you are trying to do, the (ahem) predicted load, the material you are fixing into, etc. Once they stop laughing they should be pretty helpful.

If the wall is a bit iffy, get two plates made up about 2-300mm square (or round, i suppose) with a sturdy hook fixed to the centre, and a bolt hole at each corner. If you can, postiion so that you get fixings into as many bricks as possible, then get drilling. Into poor materials, more fixings rather than larger is the way to go. Two 15mm bolts seems small to me.

It's often worth drilling small to start with, as the holes have a tendency to wind up larger than the drill size. For expansion bolts, it needs to be a pretty exact fit BEFORE tightening the bolt.

A hammock. Top Idea.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...