UKC

Cuillin Ridge summer midges?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Russell Lovett 30 Jan 2012
Realise that down low you are going to encounter the little blitters, but once up on the ridge are you likely to be out of there range?
 Andy Hardy 30 Jan 2012
In reply to Russell Lovett:
Not necessarily. I've been midged on the summit of Sgurr Alasdair on a still summer day.
stuartgmilton 30 Jan 2012
But theres normally enough breeze/up draft to keep them away...
 Mike Lates 30 Jan 2012
In reply to Russell Lovett: It all depends on the wind & humidity. Generally not a problem once you've left the carpark. They can still be around on the tops but its always possible to get on the windward side to avoid them. Worst is bivvying beside a spring in a windless corrie; bivvy high & drop to collect water. After the 1st 100m or so I only had the need to walk with a net over face once last year with air movement enough to stop them bugging me.
Climbers should always carry a net for belaying because faces tend to be quite sheltered places.
 lpretro1 30 Jan 2012
In reply to Russell Lovett: Over the years have been eaten to death on Cioch Direct, Bhasteir Tooth, Inn Pinn - you name it the blighters have been there - they are ferocious. I think they have little axes & climbing shoes on!!!
 victorclimber 30 Jan 2012
In reply to Russell Lovett we had midges on the top but only in the evening and early morn
Slugain Howff 30 Jan 2012
In reply to stuartgmilton:
> But theres normally enough breeze/up draft to keep them away...

Pish
stuartgmilton 01 Feb 2012
In reply to Slugain Howff:

There has been all the times I've been up there! I've never been bothered - mind you its always been the 1st week of May for thye last 6 or 7 years - maybe they go on holiday then???
 The Lemming 01 Feb 2012

Thankfully midges can not go above 2,500ft. Its genetic and they suffocate through lack of oxygen above such heights.

You'll be fine.
ccmm 01 Feb 2012
In reply to The Lemming:

You do know this is pish or you forgot the smiley at the end of your post?

kwoods 01 Feb 2012
In reply to Craig Mc: I know it's pish, I've been eaten on the summit of Braeriach!
stuartgmilton 01 Feb 2012

Maybe they have breathing apparatus, like the octonauts!!
nedmoran 05 Feb 2012
In reply to The Lemming: I was feasted upon, the whole length of the Lochaber traverse last august.
 tom bre 05 Feb 2012
In reply to Russell Lovett: Hi. I have usually gone to Skye in the last week of May.
Midges are present then though they don't bother you to much unlike high summer.
A bonus of May is that there is a better chance of good weather though it could be rough all week! Also with being up North it's surprising how long it stays light at this time of year.
Hope this helps they are very bad July to September
 henwardian 05 Feb 2012
In reply to Russell Lovett: I got mauled on the summit of the In Pin. So, short of paragliding off the ridge or canoeing 5 miles out to sea, you should never assume you will be out of range of the vicous and veritably voracious, vile villains.
 Trangia 05 Feb 2012

Had no problem on the ridge even during the bivi, but got badly mauled on the way down to Sligachan when I stopped for a pee.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...