UKC

Jetboil

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
zakmacro 31 Jan 2012
What do people think about the ole jetboil stoves?

Pros, cons, and other things I should know befor I buy one!

Thanks
 london_huddy 31 Jan 2012
In reply to zakmacro:

40 odd threads worth of info is here
http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/info/search.php?forum=0&dates=1&na...

My 2p: They're awesome for boiling water but not for cooking complex meals with.
 brianblock 31 Jan 2012
In reply to zakmacro: I have one and think its great. perfect for making tea/coffee and boil in the bags. The only drawback is the stove isnt as controllable as it could be, but not too much of a problem.
In reply to zakmacro: do not make porridge in them it DOES NOT work other than to burn the bottom and even Mr Muscle oven cleaner won't shift it! other than that they are the dog's maracas!
Jimmybarr 31 Jan 2012
In reply to zakmacro:

As everyone else has said, great for boling water/hot drinks and boil in the bag food but limited for anything else. I personally think they're great.
 Kai 31 Jan 2012
In reply to zakmacro:

MSR Reactor is better/faster for melting snow and in cold conditions. Reactor is also much more wind resistant.

In reply to Kai: but almost double the size!
In reply to higherclimbingwales:

Do this in stead:
Boil two measures of water
Cut off gas
Add one measure of oats and a pinch of salt
Wait 5 minutes
Eat porrridge
ice.solo 01 Feb 2012
In reply to zakmacro:

if you want power above all else get a reactor.

if you want longevity and expedition capacity get a multi-fuel.

if you want minimal weight for non-winter stuff, get a pocket rocket or some such.

if you want to use it in a tent/bivvy, hang it or take it winter climbing then a jetboil has the edge.

what i like: its easy to use, safe as a stove gets, easy to swap canisters, easy to adapt to hanging, convenient, efficient enough, light enough and easy to get bits for. theres an adapter for a pan or whatever if you want to really cook, and tho theres been problems with the igniter, my original is still fine and gets first hit most of the time.

what i dont like: some of the bits are fragile (the plastic cup, the neoprene cover - no laughing jadias! - the lid doesnt always fit).

in the end its still the stove i take unless i need a multifuel or am in a lodge/civilization when i use a reactor. the big sumo pot increases efficiency for little weight so definitely get that if you can (tho you need an existing stove base, so they gouge you there).
0Unknown0 01 Feb 2012
In reply to zakmacro: Is ok for day trips, but if spending a few days on the wall or in the jungle it is useless as it can not cook food (unless cooking hotdogs in which case a can of 10 hotdogs fits perfectly inside brime n all and is ideal. But is expensive for a kettle come hotdog boiler.
The white bit around the ignition thingy (excuse my technical speak) is fragile, infact the whole of the ignition set up is pretty fragile so best get an independent ignition doodar (again apologies). The canister I use does not fit inside the collapsed unit which is a bitch and would save loads of room, but again buying a smaller canister means buying 2 small canister for an extended trip (more space taken up). I have to say I prefer a stove and a pan I can do it all with. Primus Gravity was a good stove for me. I wouldn't buy another JB, but nice to have tried it.
Overall, depends what you want to do with it, drink coffee or eat food (other than hotdogs)
 mlmatt 01 Feb 2012
In reply to zakmacro:

It's a simple light stove that packs together inside itself. It isn't the most powerful stove on the market, or the quickest but probably the most user friendly.
 wilkie14c 01 Feb 2012
In reply to zakmacro:
I’ve had a jetboil since they very first appeared. My climbing partner was given 3 by Lyon equipment for his Atlantic solo row 5 years ago. He says they performed brilliantly over the 3 months of constant use. One came back unopened, one broke and one was in use. The one that broke had the common ignighter problem. The mk1 jetboils had an ignighter that stood proud of the top and it was very easy to knock it and break the ceramic insulation. Not a problem if you’ve a lighter in your first aid kit. I understand the ignighters have now been dealt with on later models. Mine is still fine after some right old batterings over the years. It is basically a kettle. Try and do anything other than boil water and you’ll be disappointed but for boiling water it is brilliant. Its fast and frugal on gas. Food wise think cup-a-soup, pot style snacks or dried food you pour water into the bag to cook. One niggle is that you make a brew then afterwards everything gets packed up back inside the jetboil. The little bit of water that remains in the pot comes into contact with your gas canister and the bottom rim of the gas canister will start to rust very quickly. You get rust stains on the inside of the jetboil pot then. Hard to remove, try wire wool. It’s my one number crag stove for making a brew quickly.
A bit more versitile than the jetboil but a bit more faffing around is a pocket rocket with a MSR Titan pot. Lighter overall than the JB, the PR and titan combo can be used for proper cooking of bivvy food if you want something other than instant-in-a-bag stuff. It can’t be used hanging but with both systems their are pros and cons. Either way, if not a smoker then perhaps invest in a fire steel as ignighters can’t be relied on as the sole ignition on any stove even though they are reliable. Also look out in the supermarket for Kenco 3-in-1 coffee packets, coffee, sugar and milk in one sachet. Oats-so-simple do a pot that just needs water pouring in to make a gloopy porridge stuff for breakfast.
zakmacro 01 Feb 2012
In reply to every one:
Thanks for all the info and advice guys! After reading lots of other threads, reviews and watching some youtube reviews I THINK I’m going to buy one! I do alot of weekend trips out walking or climbing and I pretty much always eat rat’pack style army rations and drink copious amounts of tea so the whole simple cooking “draw back” works fine for me! I also do the same think in my canoe and kayak so an all in one compact stove for making a brew would be a nice luxury!
Im going into town today and may or may not come back with one, Im also going away this weekend to north wales so watch this space for an angry rant or a stunning review!

Thanks again
 Alex Slipchuk 01 Feb 2012
In reply to zakmacro: anyone who want's or Needs a hanging kit. Let me know. I make them, I'll post a pick later this eve.
 koolkat 01 Feb 2012
In reply to the big man:
pic and price to davetomkins@hotmail.com
please
 snoop6060 01 Feb 2012
In reply to zakmacro:

They are ace if you just want something to make tea/coffee. You can take it the crag as its so compact and can fit a small brew kit in the top as well, so easy just to have in your bag if you go bouldering or whatever. And if you pricematch at gooutdoors, you get one for £54 which is a bargain.

colina 01 Feb 2012
In reply to zakmacro: often thought about getting one,but put off by the size of the thing.probably ideal for an expedition sleepover etc but for a day out i reckon you cant beat a small hot flask of soup + it will pack better aswell .
 SCC 01 Feb 2012
In reply to The Big Man:
> (In reply to zakmacro) anyone who want's or Needs a hanging kit. Let me know. I make them, I'll post a pick later this eve.

Interested...will message you so you have my email.
 ezzpbee 01 Feb 2012
In reply to blanchie14c:
One niggle is that you make a brew then afterwards everything gets packed up back inside the jetboil. The little bit of water that remains in the pot comes into contact with your gas canister and the bottom rim of the gas canister will start to rust very quickly. You get rust stains on the inside of the jetboil pot then. Hard to remove, try wire wool.

Got the Flash and think it`s fantastic in all weather conditions, I got over the bit of water left after brewing up by just giving the pot a quick blast of heat when empty to dry it out.
 mrchewy 02 Feb 2012
In reply to wobl: genius!
 wilkie14c 02 Feb 2012
In reply to wobl:
simple solution
 Alex Slipchuk 04 Feb 2012
In reply to zakmacro: i've sent a pic of hanging kit to those who asked.
 Ben Ranson 05 Feb 2012
In reply to The Big Man:

Could you email hanging kit details to me as well please, many thanks.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...