UKC

Scafell pike

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Nobby the sheep 01 Feb 2012
Going to go up scafell pike on Monday starting from seathwaite then up through esk hause ,2 questions how long will it take me (have a good pace)also would OT be advisable to take crampons and axe ?
 Kid Spatula 01 Feb 2012
In reply to Nobby the sheep:

There is loads of snow. So.... up to you.
 Simon Caldwell 01 Feb 2012
Lots of snow at the moment. Mainly powder, except on popular paths (such as the one up Scafell Pike), which are icy. It's due to warm up at the weekend, and possibly then cool down again, in which case I'd expect widespread ice.
It's up to you but I'd take an axe and crampons. Obviously this advice may change depending on the weather between now and then.

Too many variables to estimate a time. Not just your fitness, but also the conditions - I went for a run on Saturday, and averaged slower than I normally do when walking, due to deep powder.
mysterion 01 Feb 2012
> Going to go up scafell pike on Monday starting from seathwaite then up through esk hause ,2 questions how long will it take me (have a good pace)also would OT be advisable to take crampons and axe ?

Went up yesterday via Esk Hause. Slow going due to soft snow, a trail of footprints rather than a packed-down path. Crampons/axe would be needed if the snow on the final rise was to freeze-thaw.
 Phil1919 01 Feb 2012
In reply to Nobby the sheep: 3 hours up? 2 Hours down?
Cheers guys,probably heading up just after first light .if anyone wants to join me there more than welcome
Removed User 01 Feb 2012
> Going to go up scafell pike on Monday starting from seathwaite then up through esk hause ,2 questions how long will it take me (have a good pace)also would OT be advisable to take crampons and axe ?

soory to put a dampener on your trip nobby but...... my thoughts are that if you really need to ask this question then maybe you should leave it till the summer to do this route. just my humble opinion
In reply to Removed Userlfenbo: I did it a couple of years ago from dungeon gill but couldn't remember how long it took me (probably something to do with large amounts of the local poison drank the night before and post hike)
 Doghouse 01 Feb 2012
In reply to Removed Userlfenbo:
> (In reply to Removed UserNobby the sheep)
> [...]
>
> soory to put a dampener on your trip nobby but...... my thoughts are that if you really need to ask this question then maybe you should leave it till the summer to do this route. just my humble opinion

There's always one isn't there.. . ..
Nobby the sheep 02 Feb 2012
In reply to Doghouse: Ive worked in the hills (use to be a shepherd )so am fairly sensible to the dangers of adverse weather (stupidly managed to get hypothermia twice).but I see his concerns as there are some people who are ill equipt and nieve would tackle this and end up been rescued .i like to set myself challenges but am not stupid enough to leave my son without his dad because of it
 Doghouse 02 Feb 2012

Wasn't aimed at you Nobby. It's just that in good old UKC world if someone asks for advice there'll be a self appointed expert along in no time to say 'well if you need to ask the question you obvioulsy haven't got the experience. .. . ' just drives me nuts! )
 Simon Caldwell 02 Feb 2012
In reply to Doghouse:
> if someone asks for advice there'll be a self appointed expert along in no time to say 'well if you need to ask the question you obvioulsy haven't got the experience. .. . '

Quite often that's a valid comment though.
Just not in this case

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...