UKC

another urban myth debunked: coffee...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Kimono 02 Feb 2012
...should not be kept in the freezer. Keeping it dry is import and and freezers are not dry places.

Italians do not keep their coffee in the freezer, so why on earth do the english insist on it?

Ah well, at least we have stopped putting oil in with cooking pasta...havent we??
 tim000 02 Feb 2012
In reply to kieran b: never done that . in fact , never heard of it either. just keep mine in a airtight container.
OP Kimono 02 Feb 2012
In reply to tim000:
never heard of it?? i thought everyone in the UK did it
Starkey92 02 Feb 2012
In reply to kieran b: Ive never heard that one! everyone i know keeps it in an airtight jar....
 Milesy 02 Feb 2012
In reply to kieran b:

Coffee which was ground more than a day ago should be binned anyway. I have now tasted the revolution which is fresh ground. Even 24 hours air tight you can taste the staleness!

I seen a double blind study ages ago where people who swore that freezing it kept it fresh could not taste the difference.
 Milesy 02 Feb 2012
In reply to Starkey92:
> (In reply to kieran b) Ive never heard that one! everyone i know keeps it in an airtight jar....

My office freezer is full of ground coffee.
 Duncan Bourne 02 Feb 2012
In reply to kieran b:
We keep our "fresh" coffee in the freezer on the grounds (no pun intended) that it preserves the freshness. Don't know why though
 Morgan Woods 02 Feb 2012
In reply to kieran b: Have never understood why people do this.
 climber david 02 Feb 2012
In reply to kieran b:

is that beans or ground.

Because the oil in the beans stops them freezing so then the moisture shouldnt really be an issue as the oil should repel it (or something like that )
OP Kimono 02 Feb 2012
In reply to kieran b:
I used to do it myself but saw the light when i went to italy to visit my ex-girlfriends parents.
They laughed when i asked why they didnt keep their coffee in the freezer.

They may not know much about sailing ships but about food they do know
 tim000 02 Feb 2012
In reply to kieran b: might have to do an experiment. put some in the freezer and leave some out and make two cups and see if there is a differance. or is it just an excuse to drink more coffee
 Reach>Talent 02 Feb 2012
In reply to kieran b:
Keeping coffee in the freezer makes it smell fresher for longer as it reduces the rate the volatile chemicals boil off, makes feck all difference to the flavour of the drink though.

I thought the reason people added oil to pasta was as an antifoam, it reduces the boil over so you don't have to clean the hob as much if you are prone to getting distracted when cooking. A problem especially prevalent when cooking pasta in a typical UK tiny saucepan.
 subalpine 02 Feb 2012
In reply to kieran b: what did they say after they stopped laughing?
 nastyned 02 Feb 2012
In reply to kieran b: Cold air contains less moisture than warm air.
 FreeRadical 02 Feb 2012
In reply to kieran b: Keeping it in an airtight container helps preserve the volatile aromatic compounds for longer. Our sense of smell and taste are interlinked so the aromatic portion that evaporates about a second after hitting it with boiling water helps us to taste and savour the coffee.

(This is why holding your nose means you can eat foul shit like mushy peas without retching).
In reply to kieran b: Really not sure of your logic here. Do you own a freezer at all??

Yeah, freezers have a lot of water.

But it is solid.

And if you are going to put coffee in a freezer, it will be in a tin or bag.

In the cold environment of freezer, hardly any at all will get into a bag and effectively nil will get into the tin.

So it is a dry place to keep coffee.
August West 02 Feb 2012
In reply to FreeRadical:
> Our sense of smell and taste are interlinked so the aromatic portion that evaporates about a second after hitting it with boiling water helps us to taste and savour the coffee.
>
> (This is why holding your nose means you can eat foul shit like mushy peas without retching).

Does this mean if I hold my nose while drinking coffee it won't taste like shit?

In reply to Furthur: Buy shit coffee...tastes like shit. Buy good coffee....does not taste like shit!
 yer maw 02 Feb 2012
In reply to kieran b: coffee buffs get the big wrist shake from me. Tea is a gentleman's drink, followed by beer, whisky and rum (Wood's preferably) in that order but not all at once. ;P
 Nigel Thomson 02 Feb 2012
In reply to nickinscottishmountains: Or drink tea, like real climbers.
August West 02 Feb 2012
In reply to nickinscottishmountains:
> coffee...tastes like shit.

There you go... I've edited out the superfluous words from your post.
ice.solo 02 Feb 2012
In reply to tim000:

no excuses needed, get it into you. life is the reason to drink more coffee.

tea is a great drink, to take the edge off the espresso.

even tho ive doubted the whole freezer thing forever, i still keep it there because its dark and no more humid than anywhere else in the house.
OP Kimono 03 Feb 2012
In reply to Reach>Talent:
> (In reply to kieran b)
>
>
> I thought the reason people added oil to pasta was as an antifoam, it reduces the boil over so you don't have to clean the hob as much if you are prone to getting distracted when cooking. A problem especially prevalent when cooking pasta in a typical UK tiny saucepan.

Pasta should be cooked in as big a saucepan as possible in water that is as salty as the mediterranean!

OP Kimono 03 Feb 2012
In reply to subalpine:
> (In reply to kieran b) what did they say after they stopped laughing?

they said, so if english people are so fond of tea, why do they insist on putting milk and sugar in it??

Daithi O Murchu 03 Feb 2012
In reply to kieran b:

coffee in the fridge and yes oil in the pasta 1 teaspoon
Daithi O Murchu 03 Feb 2012
In reply to kieran b:
> (In reply to mkean)
> [...]
>
> Pasta should be cooked in as big a saucepan as possible in water that is as salty as the mediterranean!

how salty is that one or two teaspoons?
OP Kimono 03 Feb 2012
In reply to Daithi O Murchu:

and you really dont need that oil...give it a go
 timjones 03 Feb 2012
In reply to the weegy:
> (In reply to nickinscottishmountains) Or drink tea, like real climbers.

Real climbers climb. Any other claim is merely a pretension
 timjones 03 Feb 2012
In reply to kieran b:
> (In reply to Daithi O Murchu)
> 2
>
> and you really dont need that oil...give it a go

But only use olive oil!
 Hooo 03 Feb 2012
In reply to kieran b:
I saw a blog post once where a dedicated coffee snob froze some freshly roasted beans for several weeks, then carried out an extensive blind taste test to compare them with a freshly roasted batch. No one could tell the difference. So from this it would appear that freezing coffee does preserve it, as if you leave beans for several weeks (even in an airtight container) they definitely don't taste the same.
I can't be bothered to find the source, but then neither could you
This test was carried out using whole beans of course. If you keep coffee ground for more than an hour then it's ruined anyway, nothing will prevent that.
 Hooo 03 Feb 2012
In reply to Hooo:
> (In reply to kieran b)
> I can't be bothered to find the source, but then neither could you
Actually, the source is easy to find. Just Google "freeze coffee" and click the top result.

Rubbishy 03 Feb 2012
In reply to kieran b:

...but secretly, at night, you drink Mellow Birds, with Coffeemate....
 FrankBooth 03 Feb 2012
In reply to John Rushby:
> (In reply to kieran b)
>
> ...but secretly, at night, you drink Mellow Birds, with Coffeemate....
...and Camp on special occasions.

Neil Williams 03 Feb 2012
In reply to Hooo:

I am currently drinking coffee which was in the freezer, and it tastes fine.

What I also do that nobody else seems to is to freeze milk. I've had people say "uurgh" to that, but I find it works fine, and means I can keep a bottle or two in stock without it having to be nasty UHT rubbish.

Neil
 tlm 03 Feb 2012
In reply to Neil Williams:
> What I also do that nobody else seems to is to freeze milk. I've had people say "uurgh" to that, but I find it works fine, and means I can keep a bottle or two in stock without it having to be nasty UHT rubbish.

You haven't tried UHT recently, have you?
 The Lemming 03 Feb 2012
In reply to kieran b:

Am I the only person in the world who has never drank a single cup of coffee?

I even hate coffee Revells.
 Milesy 03 Feb 2012
In reply to Neil Williams:
> I am currently drinking coffee which was in the freezer, and it tastes fine.

It might do but it is pointless. You will get the same from a container in a cupboard.
 IceKing 03 Feb 2012
In reply to The Lemming: Me too. I love the aroma and making fresh coffee for my girlfriend but as a drink it is vile! I aspire to drink it as I love the smell so much but it's horrible. Hate coffee anything including revels. It's probably just as well as I get a too strong caffeine buzz from decaf tea!
 owlart 03 Feb 2012
In reply to The Lemming: No you're not, I don't like coffe as a drink either. I do like coffee flavoured things like Revells & coffee cakes though.
 Milesy 03 Feb 2012
In reply to IceKing:
> I love the smell so much but it's horrible. Hate coffee anything including revels.

A good espresso will taste as good as it smells.
 IceKing 03 Feb 2012
In reply to Milesy: I wouldn't come down for a week if I drank an expresso! I am extremely sensitive to caffeine
 Chris the Tall 03 Feb 2012
In reply to kieran b:
> Italians do not keep their coffee in the freezer, so why on earth do the english insist on it?

English people do not drink coffee, we drink tea
 Milesy 03 Feb 2012
In reply to Chris the Tall:
> English people do not drink coffee, we drink tea

Debatable. Tetley is not tea on its own never mind with 8 spoons of sugar and half a cup of milk.
 MG 03 Feb 2012
Strange how with things like coffee and wine some people are utterly obsessive about storage etc for minimal if any gain in taste, while with other foods, which really are sensitive, such as butter or fish, people seem largely indifferent.
 Graham Mck 03 Feb 2012
In reply to kieran b: why don't you write a "top tips/urban myths debunked" book aimed at educating ignorant and naive Brits...bound to be a best seller as we all secretly want to be as cool as the Italians..... I'm hoping to be told I don't need to carry on ironing my underpants
OP Kimono 03 Feb 2012
In reply to Graham Mck:
> (In reply to kieran b) why don't you write a "top tips/urban myths debunked" book aimed at educating ignorant and naive Brits...bound to be a best seller as we all secretly want to be as cool as the Italians..... I'm hoping to be told I don't need to carry on ironing my underpants

Are you seriously under the delusion that Italians even wear underpants?

OP Kimono 03 Feb 2012
In reply to The Lemming:
> (In reply to kieran b)
>
> Am I the only person in the world who has never drank a single cup of coffee?
>
> I even hate coffee Revells.

even tiramisu??

August West 03 Feb 2012
In reply to The Lemming:

I've always disliked the smell of coffee and didn't try drinking it til I was 15. A few sips was all I needed to stop me from drinking it ever again.

I won't eat coffee flavoured food of any description either.
 Ygraine67 03 Feb 2012
Does anyone like coffee Revells?
 Trina B 03 Feb 2012
In reply to Ygraine67:
i like eating raw coffee beans. and chocolate covered ones. and anything generally coffee related... but i don't really like drinking it...
 Bulls Crack 03 Feb 2012
In reply to MG:
> Strange how with things like coffee and wine some people are utterly obsessive about storage etc for minimal if any gain in taste, while with other foods, which really are sensitive, such as butter or fish, people seem largely indifferent.

I keep my fish in the freezer and the butter in an air-tight jar - that's right isn't it?
OP Kimono 04 Feb 2012
In reply to Ygraine67:
> Does anyone like coffee Revells?

Yes! And i still miss the coconut ones...but orange are my faves

Loki 04 Feb 2012
In reply to kieran b:

actually the addition of oil to pasta when cooking it prevents the pasta from sticking in clumps. makes pretty good pasta. and the oil is drained away with the water.
 Fat Bumbly2 04 Feb 2012
Have you noticed your boots when you are lucky to get out on a very cold hill day?

They stay dry (unless you make the dreaded breakthrough). At -15, the water is mostly in the solid phase. (It does help that we only get those conditions with dry continental air).
OP Kimono 04 Feb 2012
In reply to Loki:
i never use oil and my pasta is completely unclumped (new word...like it!)

this is the urban myth that oil will stop something happening that shouldnt happen anyway. Make sure your water is really boiling, give the pasta a stir after a minute or two and save that oil for your salad dressing
 Bulls Crack 04 Feb 2012
In reply to Fat Bumbly2:
> Have you noticed your boots when you are lucky to get out on a very cold hill day?
>
> They stay dry (unless you make the dreaded breakthrough). At -15, the water is mostly in the solid phase. (It does help that we only get those conditions with dry continental air).

Like err ice?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...