/ Alpine Rucksack - which one?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
crag_hopper_Jay - on 07 Feb 2012
Hi Folks,

I'm looking at getting a new rucksack mainly for alpine/mountain routes but something that will also cope with cragging and the odd multiday walk - basically a do everything sac.

My current sac is the Lowe Alpine peak attack which after a number of years faithful service has finally given up the ghost.

The possibilities are - Lowe Alpine Alpine attack 45:55, Pod Alpine 50 and Osprey Mutant 38. Also looked at the Osprey Variant but I think it's got too many bells and whistles for my liking.

Any advice or comments about the above sacs (or any other you think I should consider) are greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Jay.
MG - on 07 Feb 2012
In reply to crag_hopper_Jay: After initially thinking I had made a mistake, I have grown to like my Crux AK47X a lot. Simple and comfortable.
malaz90 - on 07 Feb 2012
In reply to crag_hopper_Jay: Crux AK47 would be my choice :) I have and currently using berghaus crag 45+10.

John
SeanFda - on 07 Feb 2012
In reply to crag_hopper_Jay:

Have you seen this:

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=493232

(Shameless plug :)
hokkyokusei - on 07 Feb 2012

I'm a big fan of my Pod Alpine 50. It used to be my "do everything" rucksack. I used it for days out, cragging, scottish winter, alpine, multiday hikes, I took it up Mera Peak, and a friend borrowed it to hike to Annapurna base camp. It has one of those folding closures that allows it to extend hugely (at the cost of being a little unstable when _really_ full), but also cinches down to be quite small.

The biggest issue I had with it was that I was always tempted to put too much in it! So, recently I bought a Mountain hardware scrambler 30 to force me to carry less!

jadias - on 07 Feb 2012

The new Black Diamond packs are AWESOME. I have a Speed 30 and it's sweet - great suspension but strippable, not too heavy anyway and a nice simple design with everything you need and nothing you don't. Excellent ice tool attachments too.

They run larger than their official sizes I think, but I'm sure the 50 will compact well if you really need the size. The 30 should be more than enough though.
JoshOvki on 07 Feb 2012

I have an Osprey Mutant and wouldn't recommend it. The back system has no support in it what so ever. The best thing I actually ever did to that ruck sack was put a sam splint down the back of it. I have used the Law Alpine Peak Attack (like the Alpine attack but smaller) and it was brilliant.
iksander on 07 Feb 2012
In reply to crag_hopper_Jay: Haglofs Matrix 50 is worth a look, Deuter Guide 45+ is also great if a little heavy (although strippable)
Ricky Martin - on 07 Feb 2012
In reply to JoshOvki:
> (In reply to crag_hopper_Jay)
> Osprey Mutant ...... The best thing I actually ever did to that ruck sack was put a sam splint down the back of it.

Ah now there is an Idea!

I really like mine but do find the flopy back a bit of a pain at times that me think sounds like a fine solution!
SFM - on 07 Feb 2012

The Blue Ice rucsacks have caught my eye of late. Sadly I can't justfiy buying one yet as I need to wear out my current Mammut sack!

Perhaps worth a look as seems to fit into your criteria.

http://www.blueice.com/en/products/blue-ice-45l

http://www.lakesclimber.com/welcome-to-lakes-climber-online/articles-and-reviews/blue-ice-reviews/bl...
ads.ukclimbing.com
Darkskys - on 07 Feb 2012
In reply to crag_hopper_Jay: POD Black Ice is a winner everytime

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.