UKC

Crux AK37 or Black Diamond speed 40 or Haglofs Roc Ice

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Andy Merrick 12 Feb 2012
Going to update my 40L sack, the following 3 sacks all get great reviews, Crux AK37, Black Diamond speed 40,Haglofs Roc Ice,
The Crux only comes in 1 size,the new Black Diamond looks like its had loads of new technolgy thrown at it, any one had and got any views on either of these sacks positive and negative.
Uses will be Scrambling, day hiking,winter routes, etc

Scarab 12 Feb 2012
In reply to Andy Merrick:

Wouldnt go for the haglofs bag, ordered it and returned. The sack itself is great, but the harness is absolutely rubbish! Its not just a matter of fitting it, the shoulder straps, adjustments etc are just crap.
 bouldery bits 12 Feb 2012

Mutant 38?
 TobyA 12 Feb 2012
In reply to Scarab: Interesting. In what sense crap? I was going to say the Haglöfs packs have at least in the past been very heavy for their size, but most of their stuff seems well made and designed beside the weight issue.

Just looked this one up - 1500 grs for 35 ltrs is pretty heavy!
 Mr Fuller 12 Feb 2012
In reply to Andy Merrick: I looked at all three of these recently, and for the same end-use as yourself. I dismissed the Haglofs because of its weight, the BD Speed because of the overly-fussy top, and the Crux because I didn't like the price much...

Instead I bought an Aiguille Alpine Cirrus, which is proving to be absolutely awesome. It's approx 800g, completely bombproof, absent of pointless straps, and best of all it's made in the UK. I've already got rid of two rucksacks that it has replaced. I'd really recommend having a look at their website for the Cirrus or maybe the Stratos (bigger version). Alternatively, give them a ring.
 galpinos 12 Feb 2012

Try the speed on before you buy. I was all set on one but tried it on and it's the most uncomfortable thing I've put on my back. There's a big bit of plastic at the base of the back that digs in. Not good.
 George Fisher 12 Feb 2012
In reply to Mr Fuller:

I'd second that reccomendation. I got the same bag. Had it made without axe loops as I don't use them. It's a great bag. If I need a bigger bag I'd def get another from the range.
weefish 12 Feb 2012
In reply to Gfunk: I'm really interested in the cirrus. Would some one be able to take a bunch of pics of theirs? Please!

the good and bad points plus the back system? Is it a hard or floppy back?

Thanks!!
 Skyfall 12 Feb 2012

I have a Speed 30 (?) as a day sac and I have to say it is very comfortable but I take quiet narrow fit sacs and I suspect this comes into that category. I wonder if the person who says it is v uncomfortable has the wrong back length (it comes in 3 lengths I think)? I really like the moving back system as well.

But the roll top is too fussy and slows you down; it's quite annoying. I wouldn't get even the larger (40l) size as an alpine/winter sac to be fair.

OP Andy Merrick 13 Feb 2012
In reply to Scarab:
Thanks for the info, very helpful
 Mr Fuller 13 Feb 2012
In reply to weefish:

Good points: weighs absolutely nothing, packs really well, back is floppy but the foam is pretty resilient, fabric is super tough, made to order so can be customised, waist belt is easy to get out of the way of harness, ice axe loops are completely idiot proof, rope strap on top of sack is behind the drawcord instead of over the top of it (can't believe how many bags get this wrong!), it packs down really small to climb with.

Bad points: I had to extend the zipper on the top pocket to make it easier to handle with gloves; took two minutes to do this using a bit of tat. Back system is slightly sweatier than a complex one. Hip belt is not padded, which might make a difference with big loads in the sack.

For reference on size, I've just come back from Italy where the sack was used for ice cragging. It fitted in it: belay jacket, softshell jacket, spare gloves, harness, two 8 mm 60 m ropes (one on outside of bag), crampons, helmet, 500 ml bottle, plus emergency gear in the lid. That was quite a tight squeeze but not too difficult. When my bigger sack wears out I'll definitely buy one of the big Aiguille sacks and won't even bother looking at anything else.
In reply to Andy Merrick:Thanks for the information coming through on this topic, the Aiguille sacks look fantastic and get great write ups and reviews and were not on my list so thanks for the direction
 Scarab 13 Feb 2012
In reply to TobyA:

Hi Toby, the bag is very very well built, and the sack has very nice features, nicer than an osprey infact.

WHat fails it is the back system, shoulder straps go straight down, adjustments are crap, hip belt crap. Almost like a school pack, or a berghaus vulcan from the 80s. The back system is ancient.
2 other sacks I have been told to check out
Lowe Alpine attack 35-45 and Mammut Trion element
 jadias 14 Feb 2012

BD Speed packs are phenomenal. Slick, not overly complicated, strippable, very comfortable to walk AND CLIMB with, tough and just generally well thought-out. The roll-top closure is fantastic.

I have the Speed 30 and love it. Highly recommended.
 Skyfall 14 Feb 2012
In reply to jadias:

As per my last post, agreed re comfort and the back system of the BD Speed 30 but the roll top is not fantastic, unfortunately. It's slow to use, quite annoying and unnecessary. Each time you need to stop to access your sac it slows you down. The Speed 30 is a tad too small to be a main sac imo though fine as a small summer climbing day sac. They do a larger one though.
 jadias 14 Feb 2012
In reply to JonC:

It's not much slower than opening a lid, flipping it back, etc. Just roll it and go. If you're really in a hurry then just don't use the roll-top. I'll usually only use it with the lid detached - one or the other.

The capacity of the 30 is fine - I reckon it's actually more like 35 litres. I got everything for a 4-5 day ice trip (including bivvies) in mine! The 40 should be more than big enough.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...