/ In't Slipstones brilliant

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Offwidth - on 19 Feb 2012
My first visit today. Could have been spring. First time I've ever ticked 50+ problems and routes and sense checked a crag in an afternoon. Nice folk there too.
jas wood - on 19 Feb 2012
In reply to Offwidth: one of my faves, excellent stuff but a tad stiff i think ! better than its height suggests. What routes did you get done ?
NickK123 - on 19 Feb 2012
In reply to Offwidth: Had many a great time on't crag - but I did live in N Yorks for 20= years! The expression involving the words, 'choice spoiled for' comes to mind!
Michael Hood - on 19 Feb 2012
In reply to Offwidth: Amazed you've not been before; lovely place but can be a bit highball (last time I went I landed on the arch of my foot which stopped play for a month or two:-(.

When I first went decades ago I was climbing on the NY Moors and the grades seemed much stiffer than Wainstones, Scugdale, etc - e.g. Gollinglith at VS 5a. Not sure if the latest guidebooks have totally sorted this out but Rockfax now has Gollinglith at E2 5c - no way is it that hard.

Another gritstone gem even further north is Goldsborough Carr.
In reply to jas wood: Everything below severe (inc MS routes). Various problems up to V1. Watched a few folk on some harder stuff. A diff that was V0/F5 to anyone under 5'8" ;-)
In reply to Michael Hood:

Cheers. Guidebooks and our website tends to mean lots of visits to the same place. Helping out on YMC is getting me to some good new places.
Mick Ward - on 19 Feb 2012
In reply to Offwidth:

Only been once. Beauty beyond compare.

Mick
Jim Crow - on 19 Feb 2012
In reply to Offwidth:

Everyone should take note that Slipstones is rubbish, much over rated and should be avoided.
JLS on 19 Feb 2012
In reply to Jim Crow:

Hellish walk-in and then there is the mosquito's :-)
Dan Lane - on 19 Feb 2012
In reply to Offwidth:

Totally agree, lovely little crag with some great climbing.
DerwentDiluted - on 19 Feb 2012
In reply to Offwidth:

Only things that the Slipstones lacks are rabbits and pheasants, not enough of either...
JLS on 19 Feb 2012
In reply to Michael Hood:

Gollinglith was sold to me as a soft touch E1... HVS 5b perhaps? Still you've got to have a couple of softies to make up for Bert Wells.
In reply to DerwentDiluted:

I wish someone told them that so I didn't have so dodge quite so many on the road down the dale.

To the poster above worried about letting the secret out... well its in several phototopo guides already and not overrun. I'm not worried about saying such places are brilliant. Said it enough in the Froggatt guide and the hordes didnt arrive to ruin such places. The hordes are always too busy being hordes to notice these things. Lovely scenery due to a 20+min approach and not so many soft touch ego boost low to mid grade routes; also Im guessing too hot in horde season. Also there is not enough parking for hordes and its a long drive to discover that and its hardly like there is anything vaguely hordish as an alternative nearby.
Jon Stewart - on 19 Feb 2012
In reply to Offwidth: It's quite possibly my second favourite grit crag. Not what I expect from Yorkshire crags.
Offwidth - on 20 Feb 2012
In reply to Jon Stewart: From the routes you say you like at Stanage its almost like someone made Slipstones especially for you ;-)
Richard Alderton - on 27 Feb 2012
Was there at the weekend. Lovely place. Almost, but not quite, shorts & T-shirt weather. Finished with quite possibly the best pint of Black Sheep I've ever tasted in Masham.

Have you been working on the new Grit guide? Any idea when it's coming out?
phleppy on 27 Feb 2012
In reply to Offwidth: Brown beck crag another 20 minutes walk further north has some great similar problems if you can be bothered, although not as much in number it has a lot in common & some great problems.
haworthjim on 27 Feb 2012
In reply to Jim Crow: Completly agree- itsa bag of shite dont go there!!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.