UKC

Lighthouse Arete at Gogarth

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 wi11 21 Feb 2012
Just wondering if anyone knows if the above route is lit up by the lighthouse at night?

Cheers
 MJ 21 Feb 2012
In reply to wi11:

Yes.
 MJ 21 Feb 2012
In reply to wi11:

No.
 MJ 21 Feb 2012
In reply to MJ:

Yes.
 MJ 21 Feb 2012
In reply to MJ:

No.
abseil 21 Feb 2012
In reply to wi11:

Here's a video of the South Stack lighthouse, partly at dusk (the end part), you can see for yourself how much light the lighthouse gives at night:

youtube.com/watch?v=qnov5drjyKo&

I've been above Lighthouse Arete (not on the route) many times after dark. The whole area seemed very dark to me (subjective memory).
 Trangia 21 Feb 2012
In reply to MJ:

Brilliant! PMSL!
OP wi11 21 Feb 2012
In reply to MJ: That is exactly what I was hoping for
abseil 21 Feb 2012
In reply to wi11:

I finally got MJ's post.... took me all day (I'm thick).
 Offwidth 21 Feb 2012
In reply to wi11:

It is weird making two moves then wait...then make two moves then wait. In some ways I'd rather climb with a head torch. The climb is easy HS for the most part with a short steep 4c crux so its a good choice in on-off conditions. Take care with the second abseil in as its a bit diagonal, use a prussic or similar.
 GrahamD 21 Feb 2012
In reply to Offwidth:

First time I did DOWH it was like that across the final traverse - exciting times !
 Dave Williams 21 Feb 2012
In reply to wi11:

I know it's off-topic but I once did the top half of Mousetrap one January in the dark. Because of the tides we'd started very late and had also grossly underestimated how long it would take to climb the route. The lighthouse's flashes were extremely useful, meaning that we could finish the route, even if it did lead to some rather, er, 'interesting' climbing.

An ascent of Lighthouse Arete illuminated by the lighthouse would probably be a little less stressful but, I guess, equally exciting.

Dave
 Calder 21 Feb 2012
In reply to wi11:

Judging from your profile you'd be able to do it with your eyes shut, so with intermittent light it should be a stroll in the park.
 Rory Shaw 21 Feb 2012
In reply to Offwidth: or get a 55m rope
 Offwidth 21 Feb 2012
In reply to Rory Shaw:

I did have, you may need a 60m. It may have reached on stretch but its not the place to find out it doesn't for the sake of avoiding a comfortable second abseil. Its amazing how normally safety conscious climbers get a rush to the head on things like this.
OP wi11 22 Feb 2012
In reply to wi11: Cheers for everyone's replies, it was just an idea that one of my mates had of something to do and I thought it would be quite a cool thing to do at some point!
 Rog Wilko 22 Feb 2012
In reply to wi11: Without wishing to be pernickety, shouldn't it be no,no,no,no,no,no,no,yes,no......
 Flashy 22 Feb 2012
In reply to Rog Wilko: If each "yes" and "no" is 1 second then it would be:

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO YES NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO YES...

(Fl 10s)
 Rog Wilko 26 Feb 2012
In reply to Flashy: Is your UKC name just a coincidence?
abseil 27 Feb 2012
In reply to Rog Wilko:
> (In reply to Flashy) Is your UKC name just a coincidence?

Mine is... maybe me and Flashy should do it... are you up for it, Flashy? It'd make a good headline: 'Abseil and Flashy climb Lighthouse Arete at night'.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...