UKC

Static cord size for abseil anchor

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 martinph78 01 Mar 2012
I used to carry a length of para cord everywhere for tent or rucsack repairs/bootlace/strap repair/splints/general emergency use.

Anyway,I'm looking at replacing the drawcords in my rucksack with some static cord that could be used in emergencies as an abseil anchor or for the above repairs,save carrying my extra tat

Whilst I don't fancy it I'm guessing 4mm is ok? That would be the largest I could thread through my pack/toggles comfortably.

Cheers, Martin
 tehmarks 01 Mar 2012
In reply to Martin1978:

I'm happy with 5mm (although some of my partners aren't), but I wouldn't be too happy about 4mm.
In reply to Martin1978: 4mm will do for emergencies. if it's long enough you could always double it up to make it stronger.
 Nick_Scots 01 Mar 2012
It depends on what it's wearing/rubbing on. If you are leaving a snaplink and loop then 5mm or better. I got a few metres of Spectra at a chandlery closing down sale, so use that.
 GrahamD 02 Mar 2012
In reply to Martin1978:

4mm is strong enough BUT is not very abrasion resistant so it will cut easily over sharp edges.
OP martinph78 02 Mar 2012
In reply to Martin1978: Thanks guys. Just seen that Crux use 4mm cord in their packs for emergency rappel anchors. It's the largest size I'd want to thread through my drawcords on the pack.

I'll keep in mind abrasion, doubling up, etc, and would use something out of my pack as a protector if worried. I don't think I'll ever need it but I'd rather have it there with me all of the time, just in case.

Thanks for the replies, Martin

CurlyStevo 02 Mar 2012
In reply to GrahamD:
doubled up 4mm is probably stronger than 6mm especially if you make the strands independent.
 thedatastream 02 Mar 2012
In reply to Martin1978:

I generally use 6mm cord.

Some thoughts from AK - http://www.andy-kirkpatrick.com/articles/view/rap_tat

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...