UKC

Motivation

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Blizzard 08 Mar 2012
Some one has suggested I keep a food diary.( I am contemplating it! lol) Unsure if I am disciplined enough to do that. Sorry for appearing to be lazy, but maybe I am just that.

I climb with a 75 year old. He keeps himself in top shape. He is fitter than me, yet he always keeps going on how I am a much better than climber than him.

I dont know how he motivates himself at that age, I seem to have lost my motivation to do the sort of training I once did. (ie cycle 20- 30 miles a week, run around 6 miles a week- not excessive by any means) How do I get it back? Can I get it back? How do you motivate yourself to take exercise?
 Puppythedog 08 Mar 2012
In reply to Blizzard: Difficulties with motivation usually result from ambivalence about whatever you are struggling to motivate for.

A good book to explore the ideas about motivation would be something by Miller and Rollnick.

It does boil down to how much do you want it, what is stpping you, are you afraid of failing?
Dave Macs book is also good
 Timmd 08 Mar 2012
In reply to Blizzard:

Could you just go out for a potter on your bike somewhere nice? You probably ran and cycled for fun innitially is my thinking, and If you can enjoy being active it's less of a trial to stay fitter. I try and think about fun if i'm cycling or having a little bit of a run.
 Mark Harding 08 Mar 2012
In reply to Blizzard:
How do I get it back? Can I get it back? How do you motivate yourself to take exercise?

I find that three things help with motivation:

1) Have a definite goal in mind and not something vague like, "I want to climb harder" or "I want to get fitter". Get out the guide books and find some inspiring and challenging routes.

2) A bit of success seems to lead to more commitment and motivation. So, at first it will be a bit of a pain to put the effort into training, dieting etc. But when the first (modest) rewards come in you will be more motivated to go for it and it won't seem so much of a chore.

3) Force yourself to get started and try to establish a habit. After a few weeks of getting down the wall/on the rock three times a week you won't want to miss a session.

I must admit I feel a bit of a hypocrite offering this advice as I'm struggling to motivate myself to get back into climbing after a long lay-off due to injury. Anyway these are the tactics I'm using and it's starting to work .... a bit.
Good luck, keep us all posted.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...