UKC

TNF Mountain 25 for Scottish Winter?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ballsac 12 Mar 2012
yes, more tents.

i'm looking at the TNF Mountain 25 to replace a Quasar. i've heard mixed reviews, including that its biased towards US conditions and isn't built to cope with the typical horizontal rain of the West Coast in March that we all know and love.

i'd love to say that its going to get lots of Alpine use, but really its going to be winter rain, sleet and snow and high winds...

any experiences, good or bad?
In reply to ballsac: I don't have one.....but I'm also looking for a 4 season tent.

From what I can tell they seem tough, but heavy, maybe over engineered/too heavy. If I was going to the Himalayas I'd look more at the TNF/Mountain HW stuff, but I'm liking the look of the new Alpkit 2 person 4 season tent, they seem to get good reviews and are a reasonable price(but not extortionate - like the TNF mountain 25.

P.S. theres someone on UKC selling a TNF 25 at the moment!
 Mike7 14 Mar 2012
In reply to ballsac:

I emailed you about the Mountain 25 I have for sale.
 Siward 14 Mar 2012
In reply to ballsac: My experience has been that the 'proper' TNF tents, which would include the mountain 25 (and mountain 35 which is cheap at the outdoor shop), old VE25 etc, are pretty good in terms of waterproofness/ durability.

You could do worse though than look at Macpac tents- a good range to choose from and designed for horrid wet weather:

http://www.theoutdoorshop.com/showPart.asp?part=PN70306
 jonnie3430 14 Mar 2012
In reply to Siward: A friend of mine has a lot of faith in the toughness of his after sitting out a storm on Aconcagua in his when others were flattened. Tough means durable too.
 Siward 14 Mar 2012
In reply to jonnie3430: Which ones? TNF or Macpac?
 jonnie3430 14 Mar 2012
In reply to Siward: Oops, TNF 25. I think the durability counts too as my Westwind is still going strong and it's over fifteen (really??) years old.
 Guy Hurst 14 Mar 2012
In reply to ballsac: A friend of mine who's a mountain guide loaned me a TNF Mountain 25 some of his clients had used and it struck me as being very strong, well built and comfortable to live in, but it weighed a ton -- more than most other serious mountain tents.
 Alex Slipchuk 14 Mar 2012
In reply to ballsac: i have used an Ortiek 2man. Can't remember the name. Completely bombproof. Some cracking features. Takes a little longer than a quaser to pitch. It has 7 poles. Very watertight. Easily vented. Doddle in the snow also. It can also be pitched minus some poles and pegs if weight is a major issue, But when you consider the quality of fabrics and features, it's probably not that much heavier than any other 4 season tent. Plus i got mine in a sale for £260. I believe the new model is both lighter and improved.
 Alex Slipchuk 14 Mar 2012
In reply to The Big Man: Ps i also saw a store assistant in Glasgow planking on it's roof, so snow aint an issue. The design of the skirt and tensioners makes it very easy to pitch securely on snow or unpegable surfaces.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...