UKC

El Camino del Ray - unsafe cables

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jacobjlloyd 14 Mar 2012
Friends at the Refugio in El Chorro have posted a warning on facebook about the state of the cables on the lower gorge walkway. If you go, be responsible. Photo:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=227900133974616&set=a.1636602737...

"El Caminito del Rey ahora ya es un peligro REAL para TODOS. Estas fotos las saqué de una inspección que relicé el dia 10 de marzo de 2012. El cable no va a aguantar el peso de nadie en caso de desprendimiento del suelo o caida accidental. AL LORETE y porfa, compartid esta información en vuestro Muro. Antonio Lozano"
 Ross McGibbon 14 Mar 2012
In reply to jacobjlloyd:
I didn't put too much faith in any of them when I was there in Sept 11. Thin cable, heavily used, can't see the bolt till you get to it, etc. The only place you need to put weight on them is the new access bit, stepping from strut to strut.
 escalator 14 Mar 2012
In reply to jacobjlloyd:

I'll try to get it fixed on Friday or Saturday. There is another one that needs to be looked at as it has a couple of broken strands, I'll probably do that as well.

That one in the pic seems to have got in that state quite quickly, it was just starting to go last week.

I always rig a rope across any areas that are suspect, five mins extra work. But in this case I'll try to sort it out quickly.
 Ross McGibbon 15 Mar 2012
In reply to escalator:
That is a terrific public service you are doing. Thanks!
 standard 15 Mar 2012
In reply to escalator:

outstanding!
 escalator 15 Mar 2012
In reply to Ross McGibbon:

hang on a minute, i only said "i'll try" and "i'll probably". save the thanks for after i've actually done it.
 escalator 19 Mar 2012
In reply to jacobjlloyd:

Forgot to reply to this.

Last Friday I went into the gorge and replaced the entire cable run that had the damaged bit in it. The cable I used was 1mm thicker than the previous one, each end has three wire rope grips on it, and those in between have two, I replaced some of the thimbles as well; I reused a few as they were okay. I checked all of the bolts at the same time. One nut was loose, that is now sorted.

I have pics if anyone wants them.

Disclaimer - I accept no responsibility for the work that I did. I will not be held liable for any problems, loss, injury or death incurred by anyone undertaking a walk along the Camino Del Rey, and in particular with regard to the wire that I replaced.
 biscuit 19 Mar 2012
In reply to escalator:

> Disclaimer - I accept no responsibility for the work that I did. I will not be held liable for any problems, loss, injury or death incurred by anyone undertaking a walk along the Camino Del Rey, and in particular with regard to the wire that I replaced.

Says who ? ;0)

Seriously though many thanks.
 Ross McGibbon 20 Mar 2012
In reply to escalator:
OK. Can I say "thanks" now?

Thanks!
 escalator 20 Mar 2012
In reply to Ross McGibbon:

Yep, you're welcome.

Thanks need to go to King of Gibraltar for providing the cable, and Barbary Rock Adventures for providing the additional parts.
badflaw 04 Apr 2012

Hello Im going to be staying In Campillos From sunday for a week.

I want to traverse the Camino Del Ray , last tiem I was here I went through the train tunnel and over the bridge and saw the metal gate . Is this the start?

What kit would you recommend to tackle this walk and is there anywhere I can hire equipment ( luggage wieght limits ) or even any guides who can take me?

Also once I get to the end can I traverse back the way I came or is there an alternative method back to the carpark..

I know its a lot of questions but I really really want ot do this before its renvoated!

Thankyou in advance , Lee Badflaw@live.co.uk

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...