UKC

New Restriction - nesting birds at Bus Stop Quarry

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Elfyn Jones 19 Mar 2012
We have been requested to avoid climbing (and from walking up to) the Upper Levels (Jenga Buttress) at Bus Stop quarry due to the prescence of a pair of nesting Ravens directly opposite and level with the butress.

The prescence of climbers disturbs the birds sufficently for them to both leave the nest for times in excess of 20 min, which is more than long enough for the eggs to chill and the chicks to die.

The restriction covers the routes Jenga, Bosch Stop Quarry, Bish Bash Bosch and also on the opposite side Hasta La Vista Babay and Race Against the Pump.

A small sign wil also be placed on the approach path.

The restriction will only last until April 30th.

Elfyn Jones
BMC Access & Conservation Officer (Wales)
In reply to Elfyn - A+C Officer For Wales: Ravens? next there'll be a bird ban for pigeons!
In reply to higherclimbingwales:
> (In reply to Elfyn - A+C Officer For Wales) Ravens? next there'll be a bird ban for pigeons!

I know right? Humans should just go wherever they want without worrying about any other organisms. Humans are blates most important than any other inhabitants of the Earth innit.

The slate quarries are an example of a pretty full-on intrusion in the area, and one that is very difficult to get flora and fauna to use again, so this is actually a brilliant success for the area, that for the sake of a few scrappy routes, we can give the birds the peace and quiet they need.

It's a no brainer really.

Dunc
 JDal 19 Mar 2012
In reply to Duncan Campbell:
'''
> It's a no brainer really.

That's the problem, his ilk have don't seem to have any brains. Not today anyway.

Simon Caldwell 19 Mar 2012
In reply to JDal:
There is a valid question there though - just how common does something have to become for bird bans not to be necessary any more?
 @ndyM@rsh@ll 19 Mar 2012
In reply to Duncan Campbell: +1 (would you believe it wouldn't let me post that by itself because it's all capitals?)
 Simon Caldwell 19 Mar 2012
In reply to higherclimbingwales:
According to the RSPB website, there are approximately 12,900 breeding pairs of ravens in the UK, so while not on the brink of extinction, they're not exactly common.

There are around 3 million breeding pairs of wood pigeons.
 The Ivanator 19 Mar 2012
In reply to Elfyn - A+C Officer For Wales: I was climbing in Bus Stop Quarry just over a week ago (on the Dinorwic Needles and Rippled Slab sections) there were a pair of climbers on the Upper Section mentioned and both the Ravens were out of the nest and seemed agitated. Hopefully they nest successfully, this is certainly a restriction that should be respected.
 JDal 19 Mar 2012
In reply to Toreador: I was going to have another little rant about these daft comments like "it's not rare", "Peregrines nest in cities" etc, but I checked the legal stuff a little first re this particular ban.

It is a criminal offence to "intentionally or recklessly disturb any wild bird listed on Schedule 1 while it is nest building, or at a nest containing eggs or young, or disturb the dependent young of such a bird." (RSPB Site)

Ravens aren't Schedule 1 birds, so disturbance isn't an offence.

However, I'm certain that good relations with the RSPB are VERY important, as they have a huge amount of clout when legislation is being drawn up. And we're doing pretty well so far.

tompilgrem 19 Mar 2012
In reply to JDal:

>
> However, I'm certain that good relations with the RSPB are VERY important, as they have a huge amount of clout when legislation is being drawn up. And we're doing pretty well so far.

Well said. Its not as if there's a lack of rock to climb in north wales!

Thanks for the heads up elfyn, are any other nest sites in the dinorwig quarries that normally result in any bans?
 gd303uk 19 Mar 2012
In reply to Elfyn - A+C Officer For Wales:
I noticed the nesting birds (Ravens ) last Wednesday and also noticed them getting agitated as two climbers walked towards them to climb, Bish Bash Bosch.
the birds are easily spotted and avoided, its only a couple of routes we have to avoid.
The Ravens make a great sight and noise as they fly about the quarries, any help we can give them is good.
thanks Elfyn.
 Fatclimber 20 Mar 2012
In reply to gd303uk: Myself and my partner were up there Saturday. I didn't notice the Ravens, hopefully this means we were just unobservant. Would have happily stayed away, if the ban was in place then, byut definately agree that signage would be useful.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...