UKC

Best time of year for French alp rock climbing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 chris_seed 20 Mar 2012
What would be the best time for rock climbing in the French alps? I'm planning a trip to the Briancon area (I've been before but cannot remember which month I went it). I'm thinking late June but want to maximise on the good weather.

Cheers
Chris
 Jennie 21 Mar 2012
I'd say anytime during the summer would be good and June should be fine and at least quieter as you're avoiding the French school holidays which start 5th July. We've got 2 months in the area Aug-Sept and are really looking forward to it.

Jennie
 OllieR 21 Mar 2012
Anytime from late June through to October should be good (apart from the occasional summer storm).

A great area as there is so much variety and you can choose sunny or shaded crags depending on what you are after.
 Bruce Hooker 21 Mar 2012
In reply to chris_seed:

It does depend a bit on where you intend to climb, and particularly the altitude and the exposure (ie. North or South facing). For example limestone crags at relatively low altitude like the Vercors will be fine in late May ands June, possibly getting a bit hot if in the sun in mid-summer whereas rock routes at altitude, around Chamonix, can still be iced up in June. Around Briancon the same sort of considerations would apply - high rock routes on the Ecrins might be problematic whereas the lower crags would be fine. Whatever you'll always find plenty to do.
SteveDJones 26 Mar 2012
In reply to chris_seed:

When is it most crowded for alpine rock - July or August?

Thanks
 Martin Haworth 26 Mar 2012
In reply to SteveDJones:End of July and early August are the busiest times. It often gets less crowded last week in August as the French dont get the bank holiday that we do. End of August is also a good time for Alpine rock in the Ecrins, less snow, good weather and dry rock.
 Nick_Scots 26 Mar 2012
Briancon area is really thundery Late July and August. Afternoon thunderstorms. Not as bad as Chamonix can be.

Saying that we were there at Argientier Le Besse last july for a week and had cold mornings and warm days but no thunderstorms !, but last summer was odd weather in july in the Alps in Mid july.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...