Gear forum

View latest messages in My Forums
This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Topic - Goretex Active Shells jackets minus hoods

I just saw one of the new Marmot Goretex Active shell jackets in a local shop. The most noticeable thing about it (along with a vented back like my late 80s Peter Storm cag!) was the lack of a hood. I think Arcteryx has a similar non-hood model.

Normally I can see a market niche for most outdoor clothing: it might not be what I want, but jacket X could be exactly what someone else wants. But these hoodless waterproofs really stump me. I have hoodless windshells for cycling and (for me, very occasional) running - but these are normally light and rather cheap. At 300 EUR/USD, I'm really interested to know who might consider jackets like these? I guess the idea is that it is an all day, all weather shell for cyclists/MTBers and the like. Perhaps I've been so conditioned by the limits of waterproof/breathable materials, that I at least find it hard to think of wearing a "waterproof jacket" all day if it's not raining for doing any type of aerobic sport, just because I get so sweaty in them. But then again, I often spend the whole day in the mountains or riding my bike wearing a windproof. So is Active Shell THAT breathable?

Interested in thoughts of others.
... not showing 9 replies to this topic ...
Register as a New User or login to gain full access to the forums. Registration is quick and completely free.
If you are definitely logged on, press Ctrl+F5 keys to reload this page [read more]

Unregistered users can only read messages in the most recent topics.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

My Forums