UKC

softshell trousers

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 matty g 23 Mar 2012
Hi,

am in need of some new trousers for the alps this summer and have narrowed my choice down to Mammut base pants or M E G2's. My concern is that I might get too hot in the G2's but would get more use out of them in the colder months. Any suggestions/help greatly appreciated!
beregeil 23 Mar 2012
In reply to matty g:

BASEJUMP! best pant on the market(in my opinion). I used it on all my climbs and never got cold!

Pro's
warm enough
strong enough
feels like a sweatpants when wearing it comfortable.
dry's very fast.
etc etc

negative:
price? can't think of anything else...
 goatee 23 Mar 2012
In reply to matty g: Have a look at the Quexhua Bionnassay pants. Got them in Salanches near Chamonix last year for around €60. Decathalon stock them, a great piece of kit for the money.
thinbennyboy 23 Mar 2012
In reply to matty g: I have got G2's and they are bloody fantastic, they have great vents that work really well and you can unzip the pockets too and get the air really pumping through. I didn't find them too hot at any point even on the walks up to the hut. Can't big these trousers up enough
 Axel Smeets 23 Mar 2012
In reply to matty g:

http://www.nevisport.com/pr/5646/sarpa-pant-mens

Just got a pair of these in the Nevis Sport sale. Not used yet but fit and feel great. Definitely worth a look for the price.
OP matty g 23 Mar 2012
In reply to Axel Smeets: Thanks will check out all of your suggestions! Am leaning toward the g2's at the moment as i can use them in the winter for some mixed if need be. Base Pants are a close second. Guess it will come down to fit! Cheers folks!
 Mr Fuller 23 Mar 2012
In reply to matty g: I love my G2s for winter but I find them too hot for summer in the Alps. ME's new Javelin pant look pretty awesome for summer.
 Jamie Hageman 24 Mar 2012
In reply to beregeil: Decathlon's softshell pants are amazing - just as good as Patagonia Superguides, but only £39.99. I've just bought my second pair, to pack away and keep until my present pair need replacing. They have ankle gaiters inbuilt which work very well, they have leg vents which are great, decent zips, great fit for me, reinforced ankle patches, very tough fabric with loads of stretch - they're amazing value and quality!
 thomas 24 Mar 2012
In reply to matty g: G2's superb, winter. Wouldn't really use them in hot summer weather. They do vent well though and the zip pockes are excellent you can also wear with or without the braces all in all brilliant kit.
In reply to Jamie Hageman: £39.99 ? where did you get that from, they were £99.99 when I last looked. Not a lot cheaper than either Mammut or Patagonia.

Al
 TobyA 24 Mar 2012
In reply to Gaston Rubberpants: http://www.decathlon.co.uk/mountaineering-trousers-id_8010075.html

My wife has the women's versions. I have an older mens model that have been excellent, but lighter material than these ones.
In reply to TobyA: These are the Bionassy ones mentioned so the 39.99 ones must be thinner.

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/bionnassay-trousers-700-id_8100490.html

Al
Juki 24 Mar 2012
In reply to Gaston Rubberpants:
> where did you get that from, they were £99.99 when I last looked.

The expensive ones are hardshells with a laminated layer. The cheap ones are softshells.

The softshells have removable boot gaiters and removable braces. Plus the other thigns mentioned previously.
 TobyA 24 Mar 2012
In reply to Gaston Rubberpants: Those are just waterproofs like Goretex aren't they?

The current softshell ones are actually quite thick - a lot thicker than my ones from about six years back.
In reply to matty g: Patagonia guide pants are very good - if you google around there are some good offers at the moment. Or the Patagonia lightweight guide pant (slightly lighter than the guide pant), is on offer at Epicentre and Mountain Factor have them cheap depending upon size

Simon
In reply to TobyA: Yes it looks like it but someone earlier had suggested Bionassy were softshell. I might have to get some of those at £39.99 though they look very good.

Al
 TobyA 24 Mar 2012
In reply to Gaston Rubberpants: My missus has been very happy with hers. Uses them for all sorts of winter stuff - XC, downhill skiing, mountaineering etc.
In reply to matty g:

Where in the Alps? What sort of routes? Rock routes in the Dolomites or limestone ranges need somewhat different kit to somewhere like the Freney face of Mt Blanc.

I run fairly warm so would only consider softshell trousers (I've got some Rab ones) for high routes or north faces. For pretty well everything else pertex walking trousers or whatever you'd wear to say Scafell or Cloggy is more than enough.

ALC
Juki 24 Mar 2012
In reply to Gaston Rubberpants:
> Yes it looks like it but someone earlier had suggested Bionassy were softshell.

The material itself is "soft" but there's a membrane. Similar to Gore-Tex.

I have both and very rearly use the Bionnassays. Last summer I took both to Chamonix and never used the Bionnassays.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...