/ DMM Renegade or Maverick

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Danielg - on 28 Mar 2012
Choose me a new harness!! If you don't mind. Mines getting a little grotty!!!!
wilkie14c - on 28 Mar 2012
In reply to Danielg:
I've a Renegade and its a superb harness for any sort of climbing BUT I'm a 34 waist and the medium seemed a little too small when on over a jacket so I swapped the brand new harness with a guy on UKC for a L <he had the same problem but found his too big> Now its summer and I'm in tee shirts its too big and I have to make the strap slightly longer to fit my waist by taking it out of one of the strap guides. No strength issuses by doing this but the gear loops or oddly placed on one side :(
I was back to my trusty WC vision yesterday. Try and get to try it on before buying if you can. There doesn't seem much cross-over between the M or L and if like me you are kind of in the middle you'll never be happy with it. Such a shame as its a belting harness with 7 gear loops and ice clipper slots too.
Danielg - on 28 Mar 2012
In reply to blanchie14c:

I've had the same problem with my petzl sama. Its a large and was ideal for winter, but now in summer, with a heavy rack it gradually falls.

Going to get a medium renegade I think. Seems like a cracking harness.

Anyone else have any advice on which they prefer
antdav - on 28 Mar 2012
In reply to blanchie14c: I just picked up maverick, nice a comfortable on and 7loops is luxury after 4. Wasn't sure on non adjustable legs but fit is good for me, skinny thighs. Rock and run bargain at 30. Found out I do prefer solid gear loops but couldnt find solid + lots
Jenny C on 29 Mar 2012
In reply to blanchie14c:
> (In reply to Danielg)
> ........... Now its summer and I'm in tee shirts its too big and I have to make the strap slightly longer to fit my waist by taking it out of one of the strap guides. No strength issuses by doing this but the gear loops or oddly placed on one side :(
Surely the whole pointof the floatiung waistband is that you can slide the padding and gear loops so they are correctly positioned regardless of how large/small you have the waist band adjusted?

In answer to the OP - do you want adjustable leg loops? This is the only difference between the Maverick and Renegade harnesses. Oh also both harnesses come with a choice of traditional double back buckles (the pro model) or the one pull ziplock style.
The Ivanator - on 29 Mar 2012
In reply to Danielg: I bought a Renegade on advice from the Forums as my Petzl Adjama was getting past it. The Renegade is comfortable, but I hate the gear loops, yes there are lots of them, but they sit flat to the harness and bunch gear awkwardly, when I used it on a winter route and I was wearing a few layers I found unclipping and reclipping gear a nightmare.
I'm using the Renegade as my indoor training harness and sticking by my old Adjama for proper climbing. A shame as I usually really rate DMM gear.
Dave 88 - on 29 Mar 2012
In reply to Danielg:

I've got a renegade and I really rate it. Mega comfy (spent hours hanging on multi pitch belays no problem), ample gear loops (although I have to agree, the design of the loops isn't the best. They need updating to modern moulded ones). All in all though, I'm very happy with it and would probably buy another when this wears out.

A similar harness is the WC syncro which is worth a look.

As for sizing, I was quite amazed that even the smallest size only just keeps me snug and I'm 13 stone. God knows how these tiny, 8a sending flowers find harnesses to fit.
victim of mathematics - on 29 Mar 2012
In reply to The Ivanator:

I've got a Renegade and I totally agree about the gear loops. The way they are angled forwards, so all of the gear bunches at the front is just bad design. It makes the front two loops essentially useless unless you like having gear smacking you in the knackers at every possible opportunity. The loop at the back is good and it is comfy though...
Hooo - on 29 Mar 2012
In reply to antdav:
Was that definitely Rock & Run? I want to grab one at that price, but I can't find it on their site.
Harry Thorpe - on 29 Mar 2012
In reply to Hooo:
> (In reply to antdav)
> Was that definitely Rock & Run? I want to grab one at that price, but I can't find it on their site.

+1
Lurkio - on 29 Mar 2012
In reply to Danielg:

I bought a Maverick for trad as I thought the extra gear loops would come in handy, but I have yet to work out an efficient racking system for it. Also, I find it pretty uncomfortable for sitting on the rope for any length of time, e.g. when abseiling or retrieving stuck gear.

HTH
antdav - on 29 Mar 2012
Sorry to get your hopes up but seems they sold out, was their email from 16th March and they were 27 :)))
Skyfall - on 29 Mar 2012
In reply to Danielg:

I have to admit I bought a Renegade thinking it would be great for trad but I didn't get on with it at all. I like the floating waistbelt so you can ensure it sits centrally; but I couldn't get on with the gear loops at all. It's not just that they slope forwards and throw all your gear too far forward, I found that 3 loops per side were just too many and actually made racking gear more fidly. I've gone back to a BD with the standard 4 larger gear loops and am a lot happier using it for trad.

Rather amusingly I have relegated the Renegade to being my wall/sports harness as it is quite light and fine when I only have a set of QD's. But which of the 6 gear loops to use?! :)
In reply to Lurkio:

> I bought a Maverick for trad as I thought the extra gear loops would come in handy, but I have yet to work out an efficient racking system for it.

What's to get? Put some gear on each of them. Done. Simples. :-)

BTW, just checked my Renegade review http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/review.php?id=1333 - its from four years ago (how did that happen?!); but I reckon I've used it more than any other harness before and besides being a bit grubby it still looks really good. So I can say they wear well over time.
wilkie14c - on 29 Mar 2012
In reply to Jenny C:
Jenny - I owe you pint!
After reading your comments I got the Renegade out of the 'fat season' draw and took another look. It is as you say a floating harness and the whole caboodle can be slid round to centralise the belay loop and even up the gear loops. I used a WC syncro for a while and that was the same so I really should have known better. It was very stiff to slide round though so that did make me think initially that the left hand side of the strap was fixed. All good again thanks! now, pint of Landlord was it?....

:-)
Ciro - on 29 Mar 2012
In reply to Danielg:

+1 for the wild country syncro suggestion, I find it very comfortable for hanging around on sport routes, loads of gear loops for trad, and the double buckle system means it's always easy to centre the belay loop.
ads.ukclimbing.com
CurlyStevo - on 29 Mar 2012
In reply to Ciro:
> (In reply to Danielg)
>
> +1 for the wild country syncro suggestion, I find it very comfortable for hanging around on sport routes, loads of gear loops for trad, and the double buckle system means it's always easy to centre the belay loop.

the renegade is much lighter than the synchro.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.