UKC

Petrol on Gore Tex

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
So, it's 6 am, we'd heard rumours that the Kinder downfall was in. I'd been to the ME sale in Hyde the weekend before and was in my new winter kit. Well chuffed with my new Active Shell jacket.
I get in the car and the petrol light is lit up, stop at the nearest station and bugger... The pumps leaked all over the sleeve of my right arm.
Oh well, we had a great day and I bagged my first ice route. However, the material doesn't seem to bead up droplets any more. Although I didn't notice it letting in and there's no staining. Any suggestions on reproofing? Any other stories on ruined new kit?
 Monk 30 Mar 2012
In reply to Double Knee Bar:

Petrol is an excellent solvent, so it will probably have removed the DWR coating on your jacket. Petrol from the forecourt will also contain certain detergents, which may hinder the beading. I would guess at a good soak/wash of that arm and try to get a spray-on DWR from Graingers or Nickwax. If it's only a small area of the sleeve, I'd probably avoid washing a reproofing a brand new jacket as I've never managed to replicate the manufacturer's proofing at home.
In reply to Monk: Thanks for that, didnt realise you could reproof locally. It's the whole forearm.
 gethin_allen 30 Mar 2012
good advice from above re. don't bother washing the whole garment. if you just wash the area in pure soap or tech wash then rinse thoroughly and use a spray on proofer.
 gear boy 30 Mar 2012
In reply to Double Knee Bar: you may find that tech wash/pure soap is not strong enought to pull out the chemicals in petrol and the DWR retreat wont take

It may have to be a machine wash in detergent first,extra rinse, then tech wash, then spray reproof and cool iron or cool tumble dry
 RoK 30 Mar 2012
I managed to get petrol onto a shirt and trousers once. Despite several washes I couldn't get the smell out. As a last gasp measure before I binned them I soaked them in coke overnight and threw the rest of the 2 litre bottle into the wash.
Worked perfectly.
Quite what effect coke would have on a membrane or the DWR I don't know. Could be worth a shot if all else fails.
In reply to All; Thanks for the advice guys. I applied the spray locally and it works a treat without affecting the original coating of the rest of the jacket. I assumed all proofing liquids would be wash in rather than spray on.
Cambridge-Climber 01 Apr 2012
In reply to Double Knee Bar: I thought this was going to be about storing petrol, oops!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...