UKC

NEWS: UKC To Abolish E Grade System

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 01 Apr 2012
Friction on TPS, 4 kbAll modern climbs will now be graded with an entirely new and 100% accurate alpha-numerical system.

Full details in this UKC News item.

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=67009

stevedude888 01 Apr 2012
In reply to UKC News: Rage!!
 MikeLell 01 Apr 2012
In reply to stevedude888: April Fool!
 Tiberius 01 Apr 2012
In reply to UKC News:

Brilliant
 Dave 88 01 Apr 2012
In reply to UKC News:

No surprise that under the new currency grading system, ours is still better than the American's dollars.

Can I convert my logbook to Zimbabwean Rand, to bump my stats up a bit?
 Seb 01 Apr 2012
In reply to UKC News: It's a shame it is only an April Fools.
 morpcat 01 Apr 2012
Hehehehe...
 ericinbristol 01 Apr 2012
In reply to UKC News:

Quality! Esecially this:
'"Not only is it common to compare yourself to your mates, but now via websites like 6a.nu you can compare yourself to people you have never met on routes you have never done. It is therefore absolutely essential we have a recognised system of grading that allows a direct comparison to be made across the globe." said a very thin man with lots of points on his scorecard.'

Am off to try to redpoint a £15.25, which converts to a whopping 2,568.97 ALL (Albanian Lek).
 ANC 01 Apr 2012
In reply to UKC News:
Could make european grades a bit harder than normal with the exchange rate (Love April)
 dodders 01 Apr 2012
In reply to UKC News: Brilliant ! - Had me going for a while and as one of the 'middle-aged baby boomers' was getting really hacked off. Before the penny dropped had made up my mind to never buy a new guidebook or log onto this site again !
 Lurkio 01 Apr 2012
In reply to UKC News:

So grade inflation will now become a real issue. What we really need to know is whether grades will be linked to RPI or CPI.

I think we should be told.
 phleppy 01 Apr 2012
In reply to UKC News: I dont even have to think about this guys, it's too obvious!
 Conf#2 01 Apr 2012
In reply to phleppy:

I know, one of those Tory initiatives, no doubt. It's subliminal, innit.
 justin c 01 Apr 2012
In reply to UKC News:
I nearly spat my coffee out over my Mac then!
I was furious and angry at reading this , i was gonna make a stand this time because i am normally a quite user on UKC and stay out the usual BS !
Then i clicked it was April 1st

Nice
 Ramblin dave 01 Apr 2012
In reply to UKC News:
Brilliant.

"Not that we are taking anything away from these modern achievements, just as long as everyone knows they aren't as good as what we did."
 McBirdy 01 Apr 2012
In reply to UKC News:

Brilliant. Well done UKC.

"we have designed a new grading system that suits our needs and will hopefully help us to make even more money out of climbers' achievements."

"Climbing companies and even climbers themselves can help to increase the grade of their route by including a cheque with their news report submissions."

Literally, LOL, innit.

B
 gethin_allen 01 Apr 2012
In reply to UKC News:
Quality, and I wad just about to start a thread complaining about how disappointing the April fools stories were this year.
 Mike Pescod 01 Apr 2012
In reply to UKC News: I thought you might be announcing your proposed extension to the winter climbs logbook page today, considering the queues and delays we experienced on certain winter climbs this year.

Winter climbing conditions blogs are the main cause for certain climbs being exceptionally busy. However blogs are a vital source of information so that climbers can be 100% sure of the condition of a route many days in advance of their ascent.

The "Book a Climb" feature to be launched next winter will allow registered users of UKC to book a climb for a certain date and time slot so that you can be sure to get the route to yourself. A Plas y Brenin spokesperson said "I am firmly in support of this move and we will be ready to police the system next winter".

Some concern has been raised about commercial users making block bookings for classic routes months in advance. However there will always be early morning slots available since mountain guides generally don't start work before their second coffee of the day.

Sounds like a good system to me!

Mike

lithos 01 Apr 2012
In reply to UKC News:

so how much is TPS ?
In reply to UKC News:
"It was much harder back in our day," they all commented several times in unison, "and we didn't have any of those bouldering mats and other stuff that make climbing more fun and a bit safer." After a pause they added; "Not that we are taking anything away from these modern achievements, just as long as everyone knows they aren't as good as what we did."

Guilty as charged!
mgco3 01 Apr 2012
In reply to UKC News: OK !! Hands up! I read tha article as far as the £ pound sign before the penny dropped and I realised the date..
 Alun 01 Apr 2012
In reply to mgco3:
> OK !! Hands up! I read tha article as far as the £ pound sign before the penny dropped and I realised the date..

Oh come on, the game was up in the very first sentence with:
"...UKClimbing.com - the official governing body of British Climbing..."

What Goes Up 01 Apr 2012
In reply to Alun:
> (In reply to mgco3)
> [...]
>
> Oh come on, the game was up in the very first sentence with:
> "...UKClimbing.com - the official governing body of British Climbing..."

Before that even: "... in-depth and convincingly structured discussions on the UKC forum..."
 Trangia 01 Apr 2012
In reply to UKC News:

I like it but suggest that the old UK monetary system would be a lot more informative

I've just climbed a £12 11s 6d route sounds a lot more impressive and immaginiative than a say a £12.62 route?

Where does Three Pebble Slab feature?
 Sean Kelly 01 Apr 2012
In reply to Trangia: Could we have Scottish climbs on 'tick'?
 milkyjoe 01 Apr 2012
In reply to Sean Kelly:

Sean - Like with prescription charges, university fees and social care, Scottish climbers will be exempt in an attempt to bribe them to stay in the Union!

(oh sorry, wrong thread, aargh what have I started there....)
 Conf#2 01 Apr 2012
In reply to milkyjoe:

We need them.
 dbarmbs 01 Apr 2012
In Reply to - NEWS: UKC To Abolish E Grade System
Does the new grading system include VAT? and how does that compare to other countries and their tax system? would it be possible to climb harder graded routes easier depending on the exchange rate?
 Nick Russell 01 Apr 2012
In reply to UKC News:

It gave itself away as an April fool too early: "Following on from in-depth and convincingly structured discussions in the UKC forums"

Since when has discussion on an internet forum (even UKC) been "convincingly structured"?
 JLS 01 Apr 2012
In reply to UKC News:

Your new grading system is dead in the water. Didn't you guys at UKC heard about the 2008 banking crisis!

The true value of any route can only be establish through a barter system. I'm currently in the final stages of negotiations with Ondra to swap my entire log book for Northern Lights at Kilnsey.
 Bulls Crack 01 Apr 2012
In reply to UKC News:

Seem to remember you don't like the E grade system anyway so not much of a flight of fancy really?!
 JimboWizbo 01 Apr 2012
In reply to UKC News:
I think a "Geology student chips off the Deliverance flake" article would also have been a good choice
 Micky J 01 Apr 2012
In reply to UKC News: face going red good effort !

In reply to UKC News:

Are you serious?! I cant believe the arrogance of UKC! You think you can just OWN a grading system... and try and make money out of it! Pfff.. That says it all really doesnt it!

*Middle Finger*
 Charlie Noakes 01 Apr 2012
In reply to UKC News

loving the fact that my onsight grade will rise with inflation!
In reply to UKC News: This isn't looking good for climbers in Europe...
In reply to UKC News:
I cant work out if El3ctroFuzz is being sarcastic or not....
Atmos 02 Apr 2012
In reply to UKC News: Best April Fool in a while
 Brass Nipples 02 Apr 2012
In reply to UKC News:

Will there be a fixed exchange rate with Euro's and USD's so that we can cosnsistently compare grades with our continental cousins. Or will we vary the exschange rate based on how much we want to up our own achievements?
 Phil West 03 Apr 2012
In reply to UKC News:

Nice photo

Phil
Craig Smith 04 Apr 2012
In reply to UKC News:

Great news. I actually proposed this for grit routes in 1985! I joke not and this is why the YMC guides have P grades! The idea was to do away with the E grade because at the time it was being abused to satisfy sponsors, attract members of the opposite sex or to generally satisfy ego. However, the YMC didn't feel they could go all the way and dispense with the E grade hence the three grades used in YMC grit guides...

Cheers,

Craig

Barrabas 11 Apr 2012
In reply to UKC News: Instead of who climbs the hardest route it will be who climbs the most expensive route...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...