UKC

Ankle weights and walking with weighted pack

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Late 2010 and the first half of 2011 I was running twice a week along side my training for climbing. I ran the local half marathon and had major knee locking issues after which resulted in an end to my running and a short (but difficult) lay off from climbing.
I've done a considerable amount of climbing and hillwalking since and I'm climbing harder than ever. However I'm missing the cardio benefit that running brought me.
I'm too scared to run again in case I set my knee off.
What do people think of walking with a weighted pack and/or ankle weights to intensify the exercise?
In reply to Double Knee Bar: If you have access to a gym, using a treadmill at maximum incline (normally 15-20%) at around 6-7km/hour will give you a very good CV workout with minimal impact.
In reply to The Ex-Engineer: Thanks, but I don't have access to a gym.
I think my main question is, am I better to walk further/faster or to add resistance?
 Liam M 03 Apr 2012
In reply to Double Knee Bar: I'm not overly convinced that ankle weights will do much other than alter your gait and leg muscles - I don't notice much difference in cv work load when using heavier walking boots compared to fell shoes (when walking rather than running) but just how tired my calves feel at the end.

I'm not sure about having a slightly heavier rucsac - I do a bit of running with one (e.g. running from work) but largely notice it slows me down a little rather than makes me work harder, but as they're normally recovery or otherwise easy paced runs I'm trying to keep the effort fairly low.
 JayPee630 03 Apr 2012
In reply to Liam M:

Don't use ankle weights, as someone said they'll mess up your gait and you're more likely to injure yourself. Try running again, but get some face-to-face advice from a good source, and look into changing your running style/shoes.

Failing that a rowing machine is good CV.
Ok guys, I'll pass on the ankle waits. Thanks.
 colina 03 Apr 2012
In reply to Double Knee Bar: try cycling ,good cardio but less impact on your knees maybe?
 jezb1 03 Apr 2012
In reply to Double Knee Bar: I've had to sack off my running for the time being. My knees have had a lot of abuse like running with a pack and are now causing issues.

Ive just got myself a road bike instead. Much better for my knees and a big cv workout, much more than I was expecting.

Cyclings a good shout.
 cezza 03 Apr 2012
Walking along the flat with extra weight will not do much, however walking up a hill with it will definitely increase your heart rate. When climbing a small hill next to me (400m with 250m of climb), I get about the same heart rate either running up with just a camelbak or walking up with 40lb of MR gear. However there is still a fair amount of strain on the knees with either option.

aligibb 03 Apr 2012
In reply to Double Knee Bar:
road bike! its no impact and you can pretty much make it as much cardio as you like. I started after a knee injury and now am hooked, I don't bother running at all anymore as it just makes my knee play up and you can go so much further on a bike too.
 Jiduvah 03 Apr 2012
In reply to Double Knee Bar: I guess its already been answered but I will emphasize the point. Adding weight is a terrible idea if you want to avoid injury. None impact aerobic exercise would be best. As somebody mentioned cycling is good or a cross trainer tho its maybe not the best idea if you have no access to a gym.
 Scraggadoo 03 Apr 2012
In reply to Double Knee Bar: A locking knee isn't considered normal. I'm a little surprised no-one has asked but have you had it assessed medically?
 kenr 11 Apr 2012
In reply to JayPee630:
> Don't use ankle weights, as someone said they'll mess up your gait
> and you're more likely to injure yourself

Ankle weights? Well I can't testify about effect on "gait", but I have trained for years with ridiculously heavy ankle weights, and it's never caused me any sort of injury.

Ken

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...