UKC

Fisherfield walk

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
I'm planning to do the walk South from Dundonnel and across to Poolewe if the weather picks up after Easter. I might stop at Sheneval, but I was wondering about the shelter at Carnmore - can somebody tell me if this is available for kipping in ?
In reply to Michael Griffith:

Yes it's (the barn down from the main house) available but you'll definitely need some comfy bedding

ALC
 lummox 03 Apr 2012
In reply to a lakeland climber: I camped on the beach in front of the barn- much more comfortable : ) Enjoy the walk !
In reply to lummox: Thanks for that. I might take the tent.
 hwackerhage 03 Apr 2012

Hi Michael, the bothy is not too bad but there is no wooden floor. You just need a decent camping mat and it should be OK. Long distances so I would go without a tent. Cheers, Henning
 Whiteburn 04 Apr 2012
In reply to Michael Griffith: The two river crossings south of the Sheneval bothy may be 'interesting' when the present snow melts. I did the Fisherfield 6 a couple of weeks ago (with a wild can up around Loch Beinn Dearg) and the river crossing by the Sheneval bothy was 500mm deep wading. I took along a pair of cheap 'Crocs' which are great for 'planned' river crossings and well worth the 200 grams.
Have fun!
 paul-1970 04 Apr 2012
In reply to Whiteburn:
> (In reply to Michael Griffith) The two river crossings south of the Sheneval bothy may be 'interesting' when the present snow melts.

The Abhainn Srath na Sealaga is ALWAYS "interesting"! I've crossed it many times - summer and winter - and I've never got across without at least water into my boots. Often it's up to my shins and at least once I've slipped and it was over my knees.

I've realised, with rivers like that, that often the soaking one receives is more due to trying to evade it! Better to find a relatively shallow and wide stretch and plunge on in. Rather that than the deeper narrower sections that have the tempting rocks above the water on which, you convince yourself, you can hop boulder to boulder and stay dry...
 Simon Caldwell 04 Apr 2012
Here's what the inside of the Carnmore barn is like
http://climbing.me.uk/Achnasheen/Fisherfield%20Four/slides/P1080318.html
Jim C 04 Apr 2012
In reply to Whiteburn:
> (In reply to Michael Griffith) The two river crossings south of the Sheneval bothy may be 'interesting' ......... I took along a pair of cheap 'Crocs' which are great for 'planned' river crossings and well worth the 200 grams.

WELL FITTING crocks are needed, as some of the terrain is likely o suck the crocks off your feet if they are slack (like mine were) But I agree very light and ideal for this area.

kwoods 04 Apr 2012
In reply to Jim C: Was in Fisherfield last week when it was dry and it still wasn't low enough to cross dry. Boots came off but no crocs, sadly. Could have done with some because I was sliding all over the shop. (and it was bloody cold)
 Whiteburn 04 Apr 2012
In reply to Jim C:
> WELL FITTING crocks are needed, as some of the terrain is likely o suck the crocks off your feet if they are slack (like mine were)....

Got some strange looks stripping off the shoes and socks and trying different sizes on in Aldi to avoid the problem, really worth the £1.99.
Even trogged across the bog to the crossing by Larachantivore in them, no problem.

Peter Walker 04 Apr 2012
In reply to Whiteburn: I've always used a pair of old lightweight trainers or baseball shoes for river crossings. And the one time I've been over the river at Shenavall it was so low I got across wearing boots without even the slightest risk of wet feet. (The river at Larachantivore was almost thigh deep though).
In reply to Peter Walker: It now looks like my biggest problem will be getting myself and the dog from Inverewe (where I'll be leaving the camper van) to Dundonnel, because I've just found out the local bus operator doesn't let dogs on board. So its hitching or Taxi.
Some great photos there, I'm really getting keen on this now.
Gog the Mild 10 Apr 2012
I've always had good luck hitching on that road. And I've never gone over my boot tops crossing the rivers. I cross the Abhainn Strath na Sealga at about 063807. There is a big patch of gorse on the south bank; there is another on the north not quite over lapping. The easy crossing point is just between them. It is probably worth searching this point out. http://img260.imageshack.us/img260/8625/image00011oz4.jpg Obviously this only works if the water is reasonably low.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...