/ NEWS: South African Sport Route Climbed on Trad
The route, called Life Enhancement program, is F8a+ to climb on bolts, and involves a really steep and impressive bit of roof climbing - placing a cam from double toe hooks whilst hanging completely upside down.
Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=67023
One wonders whether trad climbing gets much better than this. Fantastic stuff.
Burly. Great vid.
Interesting choice of background track as well.
Why was it bolted at all?
Ja, nee. (saffa's will geddit).
There is a whole world of adventure/trad climbing in the western cape, let alone the whole of SA, that has yet to be developed.
It would be very difficult to practice or pre inspect this route.Never the less it was great climbing.
Is the rock at the particular cliff soft sandstone then? Doesn't look too much like that, but if you've been there I guess you'll know!
He's quite good, isn't he?
One gets the impression he's done the route before all the same :-)
The Hole is a dedicated sport crag with many world class sport routes. The thing you need to realise in SA there is so much rock that bolting routes that may contain a few pieces of gear is reasonably normal. That said there are hundreds of places to go trad climbing in the region, which people do. For instance Muizenberg Buttress is literally round the corner and has multiple 3 star trad lines that people would never bolt. Furthermore in places like Table Mountain and the Cederberg there is a moratorium on bolting to protect the traditional nature of the areas. South Africa also has far stricter bolting rules than the UK. You wont hear of someone rocking up to a crag and simply bolting a route, you have to apply for permission.
I dont think its about better men. Are you trying to say trad climbers are better than sport climbers? I am sure this guy does a fair amount of sport climbing as it is his route as far as I am aware. Does that make him a lesser person when he sport climbs and more of a man when he trads?
Very nice. Looks far from impossible to onsight for someone operating at that level, as well.
and granite, and gritstone and limestone...etc
I guess we just bolt everything up, at whatever grade, to save the rock ; o )
> One wonders whether trad climbing gets much better than this. Fantastic stuff.
What a bizarre thing to say Gordon. Whilst many are doing sport routes on trad gear, it does surely get much better than that.....try doing a trad route as a trad route.
I like Bisharat's take on it.
Have a read, and weep...
There is an interesting phenomenon in climbing that involves what I am going to dub “contingent ascents.”
That is, ascents that often are not cutting edge but garner a lot of attention or interest because the ascent hinges on some kind of contingency. This category of ascents contains a degree of gradation, from the “first female ascent” (which may or may not be significant due to many factors) to something as contrived as the First Deaf Colombian ascent of Mount Everest (not that being deaf or Colombian is contrived—but these days climbing Mount Everest is).
Other contingent ascents might be: Climbing a famous route and downgrading it. Climbing a route without a chipped hold. Mixed climbing without heel spurs. Mixed climbing without leashes. Climbing a Grit headpoint without crash pads. Everest without oxygen. Everest without porters. Everest without fixed ropes. Not using kneepads.
Climbing a sport route on trad gear.
You can catch up here: http://www.rockandice.com/tnb-blog/tnb-contingent-ascents-sport-routes-on-trad-gear.html
Apart from drilling a line of holes with great iron rings in them all up the cliff, that is :-)
Sport climbing has plenty of attributes but that certainly isn't one of them. Drilling holes in the rock is not 'keeping it in good nick'!
> What a bizarre thing to say Gordon. Whilst many are doing sport routes on trad gear, it does surely get much better than that.....try doing a trad route as a trad route.
I was thinking exactly that. While it was a lovely piece of climbing to watch it was still a sport route. Any time he gets tired or decides he's not happy with this particular runout after all there's a bolt to clip. As trad climbing goes it's about as pointless as it gets, other than as a way of making a point about the suitability of a crag as a trad/sport venue, which I doubt he was doing.
Anyway, nice vid and the climbing looked great. I don't think we can read much more into it than that!
Just stop climbing is the answer if you really believe that.
Any popular climb, whether trad or sport, suffers from erosion of the rock.....hands, feet, falling, chalk etc
Anyway, there's no way this climber would test the placements. He had it wired....it was a headpoint, he'd already done the first ascent using the bolts as pro.
Looks great fun though.
Not that we should have bolted them you understand.
It's two words and the line is about 25 years past it use by date.
Very true, only bouldering and soloing is 'real' climbing.
Feel free to contact these guys http://www.theuiaa.org/contact.html and tell them that a bunch of people from a little island in the North Atlantic has decided to rule on the nomenclature and ethics of the sport on behalf of the rest of the World.
Just let them know a chart will be forthcoming outlining what 99% of the World population is allowed to do from now on as dictated by the other 1%. They will understand as WE are always right.
call it what you like......its just a name thats been given to a style of climbing. If you don't like it, don't do it!!!
Sprad climbing. Fr8a+H76c(UK).
> Very true, only bouldering and soloing is 'real' climbing.
> Feel free to contact these guys http://www.theuiaa.org/contact.html and tell them that a bunch of people from a little island in the North Atlantic has decided to rule on the nomenclature and ethics of the sport on behalf of the rest of the World.
> Just let them know a chart will be forthcoming outlining what 99% of the World population is allowed to do from now on as dictated by the other 1%. They will understand as WE are always right.
Ha! Brilliant response!
Elsewhere on the site
The release of Peter Jackson's new film The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies on 12th December may not appear to link to... Read more
Perhaps the perfect Xmas gift for the climber in your life... Wild Country's Crack School has two of the worlds best crack... Read more
On Saturday 13th December Greg Boswell and Guy Robertson kicked off their Scottish winter season early by making the... Read more
Rock shoes stink – let’s face it. Boot Bananas are the perfect way to fight the funk and keep them fresh. They help... Read more
F ounded in 1993, Mountain Hardwear are a pretty young mountaineering clothing and equipment manufacturer but are also one of... Read more