UKC

Taping for tendon injuries....

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 John Mcshea 09 Apr 2012
I Can understand the principal of supporting directly the pulleys between the finger joints with tape, I struggle however with understanding the reasoning with taping wrists. Can anyone enlighten me?
My reason for asking is having damaged a tendon recently, with the pain not being in the finger or even the hand (which I have experienced in the past) but generally up the line of the tendon through the wrist and into my lower arm. It is specifically the middle finger of my left hand, the result of a moment involving a one finger pocket Any help, advice, witch doctory would be appreciated.

Jb.

rurp 09 Apr 2012
In reply to John Mcshea:
When the tendon is loaded it will try to find the shortest distance between point a where the force is applied i.e your finger tip and point b where the tendon attaches to your elbow on the lateral or medial epicondyle (sharp bony bits on inside and outside of elbow). If unattached it would bow out.

When a bit of gristle is damaged tape can support the damaged area and prevent the tendon bowing out. this tends to happen at the finger joints but if the wrist is flexed at 90 degs the i guess the tendon may want to bow out if the flexor retinaculum (sheath/gristle bit that holds it next to the wrist are damaged).
Drop a grade and tape or take time off. its raining anyway. dawes apparently climbed masters edge with one hand or one leg or something.

good luck

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...