UKC

Rock climbing festival in Iran - October 2012

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 francoisecall 10 Apr 2012
Hello all,

The Iranian Alpine Club is organising the second edition the rock climbing festival that was held 2 years ago in Bisotoon. The venue is a fabulous 1200m high limestone cliff jutting out of the desert. They are keen to have a number of British climbers.

Dates: 13th to 20th October 2012
Costs: your own flight to Teheran pus 200 euros for the Iranian Alpine Club (includes a one hour internal flight to Kermanshah)

If you are interested, contact me on francoisecall@yahoo.co.uk. I am liaison officer for the English speaking climbers. I was there 2 years ago so can give you more details.

Francoise
 Jonny2vests 11 Apr 2012
In reply to francoisecall:

I'd love to go to Iran, I've heard some great things and I'd especially like to climb there.

So do you think that the FCOs warnings against travel there are OTT?
 Dave 88 11 Apr 2012
In reply to jonny2vests:

Worth bearing in mind that even if the warnings are OTT, it can still void your travel insurance.
pamplemouse 11 Apr 2012
In reply to jonny2vests:

It may not help if the US/Israel decide to bomb Iran when you are out there
 Captain Gear 11 Apr 2012
In reply to Dave 88:
> (In reply to jonny2vests)
>
> Worth bearing in mind that even if the warnings are OTT, it can still void your travel insurance.

That depends on who you are insured with.
 Dave 88 11 Apr 2012
In reply to Captain Gear:

Yeah of course, hence "can". Just speaking from my experience when I went to Thailand a few years ago against FO advice. It was absolutely fine but large chunks of our policy now had all sorts of conditions attached. Bit of a pain to be honest.
 daveyw 11 Apr 2012
In reply to pamplemouse:
> (In reply to jonny2vests)
>
> It may not help if the US/Israel decide to bomb Iran when you are out there

A helmet may be a good idea then?

Jack Frost 11 Apr 2012
In reply to pamplemouse:

Good to see the spirit of adventure and exploration is alive and well on UKC.
 JR 11 Apr 2012

Iran's fine, I went last year during the "arab spring" time. Amazing place, felt very safe and very friendly. Things have changed in the last 12 months, including FCO advise wise, but the hardest part I would bet on would be getting the visa, and I'm sure that's all set up as part of the festival. Just check insurance first but I'm sure it can be sorted.
 exploringtim 11 Apr 2012
In reply to John Roberts (JR):

Awesome thread. I haven't been to Iran specifically, but I travel in the middle east extensively and had to get a 2nd passport because of the various tensions between different countries there who wouldn't let you in if you have been visiting whichever other country they have tension with. Israel is a classic: having IL stamps in your passport can prove difficult when traveling to other arabian countries, so I use my 2nd "clean" passport for such trips. I'm guessing this would most certainly apply to Iran as well.

Something to be aware of though for anyone considering going

Cheers, Tim
 JR 11 Apr 2012

I've not yet had an issue with an Iranian stamp in my passport, coupled with pakistan, algeria + others similar. It's israeli stamps that are the problem.
OP francoisecall 11 Apr 2012
In reply to jonny2vests:

It is quite a different situation going under your steam and being part of an official event. I was there 2 years ago in the first edition of this festival and we had guards at the compounds and guards for the ladies when we went out climbing.

The situation is much more delicate for women than for men. As a woman you just cannot get out without being accompanied by a man. You also have to be very respectful of being dressed accordingly to local customs. InTeheran there is a yellow bus roaming on the streets picking up women whose attire is not entirely proper. We are talking of a scarf letting a piece of hair through, or something like that, no major undecencies!

Rubbishy 11 Apr 2012

Tell me about it. A couple of years ago a group of us were primed ready to do some stuff in the Alborz. We had our nice letter of intro from Mr Turnbull and a nice letter back from the Iranian Mountaineering Federation, we used a visa agent, booked our flights and hotel (a pre-requisite fo the visa) and at the 11th hour the Iransians pulled the viasas. Even using back channels between the Interior ministry and the then FO Consulate in Tehran drew a blank

so we went to the Alps instead.

I think this trip is proably a good way of getting to see the country, The IMF guys were really really helpful and embarassed by the Ministry's actions.

Point of note - I tried to claim on my travel insurance fort he lost flights. I was told I should not have booked until I had a visa. I thus told them the booking of flights was a pre-requisite to getting a visa. It all became a bit Kafka after that.
 Rubbishy 11 Apr 2012

Agree - independant travel for a group was tricky to arrange.

Not sure if I can make it in October but up would like to come along.
 JR 11 Apr 2012
In reply to John Rushby:

Separate of this trip, if anyone needs a contact at the Iranian Mountaineering Federation then let me know via DM and I can possibly put you in touch to help with the visa situation.
In reply to John Rushby:

Hi John!

In this case we are not booking flights before we have the visas. And the accommodation is looked after by the Iranians.

Francoise
 Rubbishy 11 Apr 2012

Ha ha - I thought you might be a bit more organised and slicker than we were.

Not been to the AC for a wee while - must make a trip to and catch up sometime.
 another_mark 11 Apr 2012
> (In reply to francoisecall)
>
> I've not yet had an issue with an Iranian stamp in my passport, coupled with pakistan, algeria + others similar. It's israeli stamps that are the problem.

Have you visited the USA since you acquired those stamps? Syrian stamp didn't go down well a few years ago.

JR 11 Apr 2012
In reply to another_mark:

Have visited canada with all those + many other countries + usa with all except iran, though friend has multiple times since with no issue. People always say "they'll not let you in". If they have Qs then so be it as long as you have a legitimate reaon. Most concern US immigration gave to last time was ascension island. Think the guy on the desk liked the stamp + they already kno enough from the visa waiver application.

Anyway, all off topic. Basically, go visit Iran, you'll be surprised!
 girlymonkey 11 Apr 2012
How often does this festival run? I'd be interested, but probably won't have the funds for it this year.
Realistically, how difficult would it be for a woman? I know you say there are guards when going climbing, but would we have to climb in head scarfs for example? Can women do anything on their own once at the festival?
In reply to girlymonkey:

This is the second time this festival has been organised. Last time was 2 years ago.

A woman cannot go anywhere on her own. I tried to climb with Iranian women and we always had a man on tow. There is no room for private initiative. If you try you will just embarrass everybody. You cannot even go out of the compound to have a walk on your own.

As long as you keep to the rules, you can participate and go climb, but you have to keep in a group and always accompanied by a man.

When on the climb you may take the head scarf of to replace it with a helmet. It would be more polite to keep it under the helmet. You certainly have to put the scarf back on as you come off the rock and walk back to the compound as well as a long sleeve tunic to cover the bum.

All in all it is not too much of a hassle. Scarves are actually quite pretty! I did manage to clmb as much as I wanted.
 mrchewy 11 Apr 2012
When I went to Iran 18 months ago, my mate has no problems with the Israeli stamp in his passport. We asked at the embassy in London about it when having our finger prints taken and were told it wouldn't be an issue, it wasn't.

Never felt safer abroad as a traveler. Did meet a couple of dutch women on their own in Tehran and they had no issues to report.

Fantastic people and country... if you can go, do so.
 Neil Adams 11 Apr 2012
In reply to francoisecall: I'm certainly interested - I've sent you an email.
 Big Steve 11 Apr 2012
In reply to francoisecall: im interested, is there climbing for fat weak middle aged climbers? I'll be living in Turkey full time by then so it will be easy for me to get there
OP francoisecall 12 Apr 2012
In reply to Big Steve:

That you are fat, weak and middle aged is no problem.

But you need to be autonomous and safe. Protection can be poor in places. If you are comfortable in the French 5c/6a range including a lot of downclimbing, you should have some fun.

The climbs tend to be around 600/750m high. The face is 1200m high. Some of the walk ins are long, but not by Scottish standards! It is also very hot - 35/40 degrees Celsius -. So all in all some fitness is required.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...