UKC

2-3 Night Circuit from Wasdale Head

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 MonkeyPuzzle 11 Apr 2012
I've got a few days off next week and am looking to get some walking done in the Lakes. So far Wasdale Head seems an easy start point (pay for camping at the Inn just for use of the parking) and I'm looking to get up Scafell Pike and hopefully across Striding Edge. I know they're not exactly next door but I was hoping that there was a decent route someone knew, that would see me out for 2 or 3 nights, that would include both places along the way.

If not, then any route suggestions including Scafell for a few days out on the fells would be more than welcome.
In reply to MonkeyPuzzle: Try doing some (or all) of the Bob Graham Round - Should be able to do it all in 3 days! Start and end in Keswick - no need to get the bus back to your car!
In reply to MonkeyPuzzle: Depending how fit you are I think you'd struggle to include Striding Edge in a 3-day circuit from Wasdale Head if you're aiming to return to the starting point.
OP MonkeyPuzzle 11 Apr 2012
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:

Yeah, returning to start was the idea. I'm relatively fit but I'll be by myself and I want it to be enjoyable rather than a forced march.
 Ramblin dave 11 Apr 2012
The best high-level route between the two is probably over Scafell Pike, down past Angle Tarn to the top of Stakes Pass, past the Langdale Pikes, High Raise, down Wythburn towards Dunmail Raise, up Helvellyn from that side, down Swirral Edge, up Striding Edge, then back via something close to the same route. But that'd be a bit of a mission. It'd probably be easier if you left the car in Borrowdale then went back via Watendlath. Or you could ditch Striding Edge and do something around the South West fells, Ennerdale etc...
In reply to Ramblin dave: Yes, you could combine the Ennerdale skyline with the Scafells in a pretty practical 3-day route.
In reply to MonkeyPuzzle: something like:

Day 1: Ennerdale Water - High Stile - Haystacks - Brandreth - high camp somewhere
Day 2: Gables Green & Great - Sty Head - Scafell range - Wasdale
Day 3: Kirk Fell - Pillar - etc - Haycock - Ennerdale Water
 Ramblin dave 11 Apr 2012
Dammit, I want to go for a long walk in the Lakes, now...
 Liam M 11 Apr 2012
In reply to MonkeyPuzzle: It sounds like something that would lead toward a lollipop shaped route, with day 1 and 3 being the reverse of each other. You could do Wasdale to the end of Langdale, Langdale over toward Helvellyn via Dollywaggon and then back to Langdale, and reverse day 1.

You could maybe return via Borrowdale for a bit of variety, but that sounds lumpy and long.

Is there any particular reason for being strongly drawn to Wasdale for the start?
OP MonkeyPuzzle 11 Apr 2012
> (In reply to MonkeyPuzzle) something like:
>
> Day 1: Ennerdale Water - High Stile - Haystacks - Brandreth - high camp somewhere
> Day 2: Gables Green & Great - Sty Head - Scafell range - Wasdale
> Day 3: Kirk Fell - Pillar - etc - Haycock - Ennerdale Water

Having had a quick gander, that looks pretty good.

In reply to Liam M:
> Is there any particular reason for being strongly drawn to Wasdale for the start?

Not really. I'll be coming from the South and I know a few people that have used the Wasdale Head Inn as a good place to park up for a few days.
 Dauphin 11 Apr 2012

Tis one of best walks in the lakes - feels something like remote for most of it, you could even break the 3 night camping with a 2 nd night at Black sail and then head up over Great Gable & onto Scafell Pike. Through the week you will meet few souls in the western fells.

D
OP MonkeyPuzzle 16 Apr 2012
In reply to Dauphin:

Well, Tuesday is the day. Going from Wasdale Head and following the Ennerdale circuit clockwise until Great Gable, crossing over to Great End, up Scafell Pike and then back down to Wasdale Head. Doing two nights out on the fells, the weather looks shocking and my one companion has cancelled on me. Do you know what? I can't f*cking wait.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...