UKC

Portland (Cheyne Area) Clean up Any Volunteers?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 nealh 13 Apr 2012
On the morning of the 28th April we are planning a clean up operation in conjunction with the local Countryside Warden. The aim is to remove rubbish from below the carpark and generally smarten the place up as part of the preparation for the Olympic events later this summer. Climbers have been asked to help out as the area will need to be accessed by rope and many heavy items of rubbish will need to be hauled out.

If you are planning to be on the Island this Saturday and you can spare an hour or so before the sun hits the west coast your help will be greatly appreciated. This is a great opportunity for us as climbers to score brownie points and helps greatly with ongoing accesss negociations. Thanks to those locals who have already offered to help.

I should be able to provide enough ropes so you won't need to worry about knackering your equipment.
 Rob Kennard 13 Apr 2012
In reply to nealh: I'll be working away that day Neil but I'll let the shed gang know about this,
Rob
 Tom Beaumont 14 Apr 2012
In reply to nealh: We'll be there! I'm happy to bring ab rope, jumars etc Whats your start time?
 steve taylor 14 Apr 2012
In reply to nealh:

Count me in... I'll bring a rope and jumars too (forgotten how to use them though).
 Nic 14 Apr 2012
In reply to nealh:

Hi Neal / Steve

*Might* be able to make it...like Steve, have jumars, can't remember how the hell to use them!
 johnl 14 Apr 2012
In reply to nealh: I'll be there Neal, with suitable gear. I'm happy to bring my static line if it helps.
 Adam Perrett 14 Apr 2012
In reply to nealh: me and the missus will be there.
OP nealh 14 Apr 2012
In reply to Adam Perrett: Thanks all of you I was thinking kick off for ten
Lyn will try and arrange a skip and bags, good to see a local response shame we don't get much help from the hoards who are happy to turn up and clip our bolts, by maybe there's still time or maybe i'm an optimistic fool
In reply to nealh: currently working that day... will work some magic and shift work around. Shouldn't be too much of a problem. Would like to come help out
 Martin 14 Apr 2012
In reply to nealh:

Sorry Neal won't be able to make unfortunately as I'm working, if you are doing anymore please let me know soonest so I can put them in the diary.
 Jonathan Emett 14 Apr 2012
In reply to nealh:
apologies, I'm away from dorset at the moment.
Martin Kocsis, BMC 17 Apr 2012
In reply to nealh: News article by the lovely Ed Douglas here: http://www.thebmc.co.uk/portlands-olympic-cleanup

TomBaker 17 Apr 2012
In reply to nealh:
On a stag do but bumping this up to the top! Much respect for doing this guys.
 JIMBO 17 Apr 2012
In reply to nealh: Would love to get out on the cliffs but I have a broken knee!
OP nealh 18 Apr 2012
In reply to JIMBO: would that be the rum coctails in the hot tub?
Sorry to hear that, get better soon
 alan ashmore 18 Apr 2012
In reply to nealh: I'm working but Julie will be there with a static rope to help.

Al
 IainAM 18 Apr 2012
In reply to nealh:

I (we) won't be around otherwise we'd be down to help. Let me know if you're planning other clean up days.
 alan ashmore 22 Apr 2012
In reply to nealh: Had a look yesterday you gonna have your work cut out lets hope lots of people come and help.
Anonymous 22 Apr 2012
In reply to alan ashmore:

I'll try to get there to help , but would mean heading over pretty much straight from a long shift in bristol ( 6 or 7am finish ) then nr 2 hour drive after dropping lads off all over south west. Shall try my best though .

Leon
 Ducks Rock 22 Apr 2012
In reply to nealh: I will be there
OP nealh 23 Apr 2012
In reply to IainAM: Its really good of so many of you to let me know you cant make it and hey we all have busy lives,

But what would be really good to hear would be more of the masses who will no doubt be clipping bolts on the isle next weekend, saying that they will spare us a couple of hours from their day to come and lend a hand, wadda ya say?
 johnl 23 Apr 2012
In reply to nealh: I'll try and take a few local hostages and drag them down.
John.
 Billy-bob 23 Apr 2012
In reply to johnl:

I'll be around Neil, 10am cheyne, let me know if needing ropes, ascenders etc. alan
OP nealh 24 Apr 2012
In reply to abetts: Hi Al, Thanks for the support bring whatever you are happy using. Thanks John also, let pray for good weather, (not that it ever rains on Portland).

Nic 24 Apr 2012
In reply to nealh:

Neal - sorry, just learned we need to be elsewhere...good luck and hope to catch up soon.

Nic

johnl 26 Apr 2012
In reply to nealh: By way of a bump it is also the George Inn beer festival all weekend (top of Reforne in Easton), so at £2.50 a pint and a large selection of ales and ciders it should be good for a post clean piss up.
John.
 steve taylor 26 Apr 2012
In reply to nealh:

See you there at 10:00am

Is anyone climbing afterwards?
OP nealh 26 Apr 2012
In reply to steve taylor: Forcast is a bit iffy for the afternoon, however if its dry I hope to get out
 Ducks Rock 27 Apr 2012
In reply to nealh:
will be there at 10am. Will it go ahead even if weather is poor, will you guys post here to confirm in the morning? Not climbing just coming to help with the clean up for a couple of hours if that is ok.
zo
 johnl 27 Apr 2012
In reply to Ducks Rock: Weather looks pretty fair for most of the day, just a chance of a short shower.
Had a scout around there yesterday - it seems mostly to be litter (cans, food wrapper, bin bags), a lot of the big stuff that used to be there has gone although there looks to be a couple of car seats well down at the north end. Gloves and granny grabbers might be the most useful equipment.
 steve taylor 27 Apr 2012
In reply to johnl:

Granny Grabber??? Something to be used in Weymouth at 2:00am???
 johnl 27 Apr 2012
In reply to steve taylor: You know, those things used by old people to pick stuff up, actually, no, maybe you're right.
OP nealh 27 Apr 2012
In reply to Ducks Rock and everyone else who has contributed:

Hi,
Yes everything is set for tomorrow and the forecast is looking good.
If anything changes overnight we will let you know via this thread on UKC. But as everything currently stands tomorrow is go.

see you all tomorrow
Neal and Helen
 johnl 28 Apr 2012
In reply to nealh: It's pissing it down, where did that come from? I'll keep my eye on it for the next hour or so - someone needs to put the shields back up.
 Ducks Rock 28 Apr 2012
In reply to johnl: coming from Bournemouth, leaving at 9 so would be good to know if it's still on asap, pissing down here as well, but forecast says it will clear up.... heres hoping!
 johnl 28 Apr 2012
In reply to Ducks Rock: If Neal wants to rearrange for this afternoon I'm available all day. I will post a weather check at 9.00.
 Ducks Rock 28 Apr 2012
In reply to johnl: bugger only available until midday... hope he doesn't!
 johnl 28 Apr 2012
In reply to johnl: The rain looks like it's getting worse.
 Billy-bob 28 Apr 2012
In reply to Ducks Rock: light rain in weymouth, looks same on the isle....
 steve taylor 28 Apr 2012
In reply to johnl:

Www.raintoday.co.uk says its going to be raining heavily for a while yet.
 Ducks Rock 28 Apr 2012
In reply to steve taylor: does that mean it will be postponed? don't mind working in the rain just don't want to get there and no one be there!
 Mick Ward 28 Apr 2012
In reply to Ducks Rock:

Zoe, I'll go along anyway, just so there's no danger of nobody being there. The weather's odd - could clear up, could get worse...

Mick
 Ducks Rock 28 Apr 2012
In reply to Mick Ward: great, will leave now then, see you soon! I only have until 12 so will get a scoot on! will be about an hour
 johnl 28 Apr 2012
In reply to Mick Ward: I'll put in an appearance by 10 too.
OP nealh 28 Apr 2012
In reply to nealh:

Hi everyone

yes it's still going ahead. Whilst its raining its not too bad. We'll be heading across shortly to start putting ropes in place etc.

thanks to everyone who is coming and see you all shortly

Neal

steve taylor 28 Apr 2012
In reply to nealh:

Well done on the organisation front Neal. I reckon we shifted a few tons of rubbish today. There was a decent turnout - about 20 people in all and everyone mucked in.
 johnl 28 Apr 2012
In reply to steve taylor: Echo that and to the ranger as well. I couldn't believe the amount of rubbish that was shifted. Mind you less than one hour after we had finished someone had slung their chip wrapper down the bank GRRRRR!
OP nealh 28 Apr 2012
In reply to nealh:

Thanks to everyone who came along today. A job well done!!! ...and a great effort by all.

Besides killing a few ropes the main damage of the day was a large dent to the roof of Lyn (the Ranger)'s car, caused when she tried to drive under the barrier with the wheelbarrow still strapped to the roof of her car and a scratch to Neal's eyeball from the brambles. (So in case you haven't guessed it's H typing this and not Neal as his vision is still blurred.)

Overall it looks like we cleared at least 70 binliners of rubbish, together with 2 fridges, a patio set, a rubber p....s, most of the component parts of a car and an I-beam.

Thanks again and see you all on the crags soon.

Heeln and Neal
 Nic 28 Apr 2012
In reply to nealh:

Good effort and well done to all concerned, sorry I couldn't be there (mind you, it's been so long not sure I could find my way to Portland any more...).

Still trying to figure out what a rubber p....s is?!

Nic
 johnl 28 Apr 2012
In reply to Nic: I think the missing letters are eni.
 robandian 28 Apr 2012
In reply to nealh: Looks like you did a great job well done ! i'm looking forward to climbing there again in the summer even more now -will take bags with us to keep up the good work.
 Adam Perrett 29 Apr 2012
In reply to nealh: Thanks to Neal, Helen, Lyn etc. who organised the cleanup. Sorry to hear about Neals eye. Hope he is OK today.

I am aching like a B*st*ard today! Must be getting old...

Did Helen or Lyn take the rubber weiner home?
 steve taylor 29 Apr 2012
In reply to Adam Perrett:

Nope - Longy took it!
 Ducks Rock 30 Apr 2012
In reply to nealh: good work on organising it Neal and Helen, I thought Mick had his eye on the rubber P**is.
Zo
OP nealh 30 Apr 2012
In reply to Ducks Rock: Cheers for making it over from tother side of the county, sorry didn't get a chance to chat really appreciate everyones efforts (oh and I'm no longer blind!)
Neal
 johnl 07 May 2012
In reply to nealh: Why do we bother guys? Had a look over the car park today and it was as bad as ever - plastic bottles, coke cans, loads of McDonalds wrappers, an umbrella, cigarette packets, garden waste - no doubt give it another week and there will be a car and a couple of fridges. Is there a solution, temporary ban on parking with a notice as to why maybe?
 Adam Perrett 08 May 2012
In reply to johnl: There isn't even a McDonalds on Portland, is there?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...