/ NEWS: FRI NIGHT VID: 12 Year Old Drew Ruana Climbs 8b

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
UKC News - on 13 Apr 2012
Drew Ruana, 4 kbThis week's Friday nighter is a short story about 12 year old Drew Ruana redpointing 13d (8b) at Smith Rocks.

There is also footage of him attempting a 13+ crack at Index, WA.

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=67046

Calder - on 13 Apr 2012
In reply to UKC News:

What a good vid! I love the Spiderman bit - just a kid...

...like the rest of us. :)

And Vicious Fish looks mega, too.
Paul035 - on 13 Apr 2012
Enjoyed that.

At about 2.30 when he's approaching the base of the route weighed down by the rack he looks like a wee boy wearing his Dad's jacket or shoes for a joke... until he starts climbing!! He's brilliant. Exceptional climbing.

Thought his Dad had quite a sound outlook about it all too, didn't seem really pushy.

The narrator came across as a fud though. He obviously has a bee in his bonnet about other climbers and just wanted to get that in a few times.

The music was horrific. Climbing footage doesn't always need a backing track.. the sound of the climber and the surroundings give a far better atmosphere for me.

Calder - on 13 Apr 2012
In reply to Paul035:

I liked the music.
Christheclimber - on 13 Apr 2012
In reply to UKC News:

Wow 12 years old and climbing 5.13d, it made me feel really old.
royal - on 13 Apr 2012
In reply to UKC News:
Rock on. Very cool and that route looks awesome.
JJL - on 13 Apr 2012
In reply to UKC News:

Thanks for that.

Really mixed feelings.

I truly hope that his feet and hands are going to be ok in 10 years' time. Developing bones and joints do not take kindly to excessive compression and strain. Hammer toes and arthritis are not a happy legacy.

Lovely climbing though - more than just power:weight, he has real inventiveness and reads the rock superbly.

J
StuartCJones - on 13 Apr 2012
In reply to UKC News: little bugger.
landskip - on 14 Apr 2012
In reply to UKC News:
What a little dude!, but can he land a 1080????
Roy on 14 Apr 2012
In reply to UKC News:

Cool kid, hope he doesn't burn out. Climbing hard so young, ripping developing tendons etc.
Re: JJL comments above.

Video poor, seen it all before; fade ins, quick cuts, zoom outs, poor music

JKinsella - on 14 Apr 2012
In reply to Roy: He will probably be fine from the tendon point of view! Not all hard child climbers make it to be hard adult climbers, but that's more because of increasing weight and change in body size/shape around puberty. Those that do make it through, for example, Ondra, tend to be pretty incredible climbers because they've grown up with it and their tendons have had years to adjust to increasing weight. You don't see Ondra complaining about pulleys! I'm much more worried about my tendons then Drew's.
Quarryboy - on 15 Apr 2012
In reply to UKC News:

People who climb 8b when they are 12 are just too good at climbing.
ads.ukclimbing.com
argyle_dude - on 16 Apr 2012
In reply to UKC News:

He's good, but what's he ever done on grit?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.