UKC

Go climbing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
d@mac123 14 Apr 2012
Hey does anyone that lives in Aberdeen/Aberdeenshire scotland want to take me out rock climbing. I'm buying all my gear on Tuesday. You want to come help me do this also. Will buy you lunch. If no't can anyone give me some hints and edvice on what a good start up kit would be?
 Simon Alden 14 Apr 2012
In reply to d@mac123: Rope, harness, rock shoes, screwgate carabiner, belay plate or Gri Gri, chalk bag..you didn't mention whether you were going to be climbing trad or sport? If trad get a set of wires and some hexes to start with and some different sized slings of course.
d@mac123 14 Apr 2012
In reply to coverdale: Sorry about my lack of the words in this new sport. I do lots of hill walking and free climbing. But can you tel me what the difference is between trad and sport? Thanks so much for the advice on my start up kit. Can't wait to get it and hit the coast, As we have great rocks round the coast here to climb. I will take the list you gave me to graigdon mountain sports and get my kit. Great help thanks mate. Would you be up for a climb anytime?
 tspoon1981 14 Apr 2012
In reply to d@mac123: If I were you, I'd head to transition or RGU and do a climbing course, learn the basics of belaying and tying in, (or find some one willing to show you), before you start buying gear that you don't know how to use or place correctly.

Craigdons not always the best place for gear shopping either, shop around at Cotswolds/tiso/Nevis sport.

To start with, you should probably just get harness, rock boots and a belay plate, I wouldn't bother with the gri-gri straight away.

Good luck
d@mac123 14 Apr 2012
In reply to tspoon1981: Thanks that sounds like sound advice. Would you be up for taking me out to show me the ropes anytime? Thanks anyway great advice!
 colina 14 Apr 2012
In reply to d@mac123: Wouldnt bother with a chalk bag just yet .shoes,harness ,nut key,sling,2 locking carabiners (1pear shaped)and a belay plate.that should be enough to get you out seconding routes .now go on a course !
 Jon Stewart 14 Apr 2012
In reply to d@mac123:

I'm miles away, so can't help in terms of partners etc, but

- Sport climbing is where there are permanent bolts in the rock which you clip the rope to as you climb up.

- Trad climbing is where you take lots of bits of gear up with you which you place in cracks as you climb, clipping the rope to those. If you fall off, you hope that you placed the gear well and that it won't rip out as it takes the force of the fall (if it's been placed well, it won't). Then your partner follows you up the climb and removes all the gear - it's expensive, you'll want it back.

There's more to it than that, but that's the basic difference. I don't know how much sport climbing there is near you, I suspect not much in the low grades. The climbing on sea cliffs is almost all trad I think - it's very exciting and you definitely need a bit of experience and to know what you're doing. There's loads of info for beginners on the internet, search the articles on here for a start. It might be worth going on a weekend course to learn the basics, if you're not successful in meeting someone who can teach you on here.

Good luck. Getting into climbing is a great idea. Lots of amazing experiences to be had, for a whole lifetime.
 Simon Alden 14 Apr 2012
In reply to d@mac123: Sport climbing is when the climber uses bolts for protection on the route i.e. they're in place already. Trad is when you place your own protection such different sized wedge shaped metal bits (nuts) in cracks you find on the route, or slings on spikes of rock. I agree that it would probably be a good idea to do a climbing course or at least a more knowledgeable partner who can show you the ropes (pun intended). Sorry I can't help out am in Malta!
 tspoon1981 14 Apr 2012
In reply to coverdale: Its like a who's who of climbing in Malta at the moment. Sonnie Trotter, Tommy Caldwell, Stevie Haston!
d@mac123 14 Apr 2012
In reply to colina: Thank you so much. Great advice.
d@mac123 14 Apr 2012
In reply to colina: Thank you so much for the advice. Great help.
d@mac123 14 Apr 2012
In reply to coverdale: Cheers Coverdale, Thanks for the sound advice mate. Will keep in touch tel you how I get on.
d@mac123 14 Apr 2012
In reply to Jon Stewart: Thanks for the info Jon, Great advice and I will take it on board. Can't wait to get going.
d@mac123 14 Apr 2012
In reply to colina: Have booked a course.
can.t wait to get going.
d@mac123 14 Apr 2012
In reply to tspoon1981: Are you in Aberdeen area if you don.t mind me asking? Would you take me out for a lesson? I would pay. I have booked in to trnsition but would be better outdoors. Up for it?
 tspoon1981 14 Apr 2012
In reply to d@mac123: I am in Aberdeen, I'm heading out tomorrow and Monday weather depending, it's meant to be ok but we appear to have snow at the moment.

Send me an e-mail.
 Simon Alden 14 Apr 2012
In reply to tspoon1981: Yes and lots of new fab routes going up
d@mac123 15 Apr 2012
In reply to tspoon1981: Hey Do you still want to go out tomorrow?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...