UKC

Recommend a sea kayak tour guide/company

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 climberuk 18 Apr 2012
Hi,

I'd quite like to go on a sea kayaking trip somewhere on the west coast of Scotland. A 3 or 4 day trip at the start of June would be ideal.

Can anyone recommend a company or person they've found to offer good trips and good value for money? Not looking for a luxury all inclusive thing - happy to camp and self cater.

Thanks.
 marsbar 18 Apr 2012
In reply to climberuk: have you looked at ukrgb, they have an extensive sea section as well.
OP climberuk 18 Apr 2012
In reply to marsbar:

ukrgb? I googled it and it comes up with the UK Sea Kayak Guidebook. Not sure i'd be happy doing a trip without someone experienced there. Thanks for the info though.
OP climberuk 18 Apr 2012
In reply to OwenM:

Thanks Owen. I've emailed them.
 ring ouzel 18 Apr 2012
In reply to climberuk: Some years ago I went with these guys at Applecross: http://www.applecross.uk.com/msg/ however I should warn you what to expect as I found it was a VERY expensive trip. I went never having done any seakayaking and the chap teaching us was all 'this is easy, you'll love it' and before you know it I came back home, signed up for 3 more sea kayaking weekends, joined my local club and bought my own sea kayak with all the gear!! Then, to compound matters, I raved about it to my wife, she went sea kayaking and then we had to buy her a sea kayak and all the gear too! Mind you it was worth every penny for the trip to Raasay, camping on the shore then the paddle back across the sound the next day just in time for tea and cakes in the cafe. loved every minute of it!!! And its in Applecross, one of my favourite places.
 Geoff F 18 Apr 2012
In reply to climberuk: Donald Macpherson is the man to contact. He may be able to organise a trip for you, if not he'll know who can. He knows everyone in the canoe and kayak community. He set up the Great Glen Canoe Trail (which I've been on with him for the guide book photo shoot). His website is his name dot co dot uk.
 Leonard Tedd 18 Apr 2012
In reply to Geoff F:

I've paddled with Roddy at Kayak Bute: www.kayakbute.co.uk/

fully recommended...
 climber david 18 Apr 2012
 Phill_Away 18 Apr 2012
In reply to climberuk:
These are are great guys and offer a good service.

http://www.rockhopperscotland.co.uk/

Hope this helps.

Phill
 marsbar 18 Apr 2012
In reply to climberuk: sorry for being unclear, had connection problems earlier when trying to link it for you. I meant ask the question on the sea forum on there, you might get a wide variety of experiences and suggestions. Anyway enjoy your trip, sounds amazing.
 morbh 18 Apr 2012
In reply to climberuk:
Wholeheartedly recommend: http://www.seatoskyexperience.co.uk/
One of the big bonusses of their location is that no matter what the weather throws at you they can almost always find some suitable water conditions for your skill level, which can be a significant consideration if you are booking in advance.
I've been on 2 trips with Kintail Ranger Service (who provide the sea kayaking instructors for Sea to Skye) & both have been absolutely brilliant - great instructor able to tailor the trip to the capabilities of the group & happy to camp, bothy or utilise the outdoor centre at Morvich depending on the group wishes & the all important weather.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...