UKC

Climbing shoe spare rubber

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Hello, Does anybody know where to buy spare soles and rands for climbing shoes in the UK? The repair shops must buy it from somewhere. I haven't seen anywhere to buy online- the best I have found is that 5-10 paint, but i want whole soles and rands. Thanks in advance.

remus Global Crag Moderator 19 Apr 2012
In reply to MichaelGallimore: Perhaps contact a few resoling places and see what if they can sort you out with some?

Feetfirst and Cheshire Shoes are the 2 that spring to mind.
In reply to remus: I was thinking of resoling my shoes at home. Those companies will do it for you, but they don't supply spare soles or rands for fitting at home. I'm still finding these hard to source. Any other ideas?
 cha1n 22 Apr 2012
In reply to MichaelGallimore:

I think that if you explained to them that you wanted some spare rubber for emergency resole they would supply it to you. Feet first were certainly happy to supply me with some rand rubber when I asked.

It's expensive but I think the rubber costs them a lot to import.
 JimmAwelon 22 Apr 2012

This doesn't help you out but back in the day one of the originals (PA's. EB's or Boreal Fires) used to come with spare soles, something stupid thick like 7mm! I only know this because one of the chaps I used to climb with borrowed his dads pair and these were in the box and they were great for whacking your mates with!
 torquil 23 Apr 2012

Hi Michael, the short answer is that you can't buy rubber in the UK without being an established resoler.

I have just started up resoling based in Llanberis (Llanberis Resoles) and getting rubber was pretty difficult for me. You can only buy direct from the distributors for which you need a trade account with them, on top of that rubber (sole or rand) is sold in full sheets a bit under a meter square (and a sheet costs more than any new pair of boots!), then there is getting the right glue, primer, sander etc.

More to the point resoling is pretty tricky, I went through at least 10 junk pairs of shoes and a full sheet of rubber before I started producing a reasonable finish!

If that doesn't put you off then send me an email and next time I get a new order of rubber in I'll see if I can spare some.

Hope that helps. Otherwise i'm doing a cheap start-up price on resoles until the end of the month!
 Richard Wilson 24 Apr 2012
In reply to torquil:

Hi, Are you a shop & do you have opening hours?
(for dropping off & collection)

Could you do a while you wait repair?

Cheers Richard
 beardy mike 24 Apr 2012
In reply to torquil: Well don't just tell it's cheap, tell us HOW MUCH!
 beardy mike 24 Apr 2012
In reply to mike kann: Found it...

http://llanberisresoles.com/pages/pricing.html

Are you also doing normal shoes? I've got some guide tennies I'd like to do and some sportive B5's. Don't really care what rubber, as long as its sticky...
 ashley1_scott 24 Apr 2012
In reply to mike kann:
If you want your tennies resoled and Llanberisresoles are using Vibram rubber then this one would be the one to go for.
http://www.vibram.com/index.php/us/SPORTS/RockClimbing/Products/Approach/Su...
 torquil 24 Apr 2012
In reply to Richard Wilson: I don't have a shop, just a workshop behind my house not far from the high street, give me a ring if you want to drop off/pick up, details on the website.

As for a while you wait service again it would depend how busy I am. This week if you dropped them off in the morning I could have them done before the end of the day.

I'll hopefully sort out a local drop-off point soon, either one of the climbing shops or walls, I'll post here if that happens.

torquil 24 Apr 2012
In reply to mike kann: Hi Mike, I'm not doing approach shoes yet just as I don't have the rubber but will order some from Vibram this week as I have had so many people asking. Vibram have a standard 6 week delivery time though...
 beardy mike 24 Apr 2012
In reply to torquil: I see. Well as I say I've got two pairs, but also probably 2-3 pairs of rock boots that could do with a resole... Not worried about the 6 weeks if your keen?
 torquil 24 Apr 2012
In reply to mike kann: Hang on the approach shoes for the moment, send me an email and I can let you know when I have rubber in stock. If you have rock shoes that need doing do send them in.

Thanks.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...