UKC

road biking shorts? What to look for?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Captain Gear 23 Apr 2012
Hello,

I think I need a new pair of shorts to go with my new bike.

I've currently got a pair of cheap Polairis shorts that cost £30 6 years ago they've had a reasonably substantial amount of use in that time and could probably do with replacing.

Looking online cyllcing shorts can cost anything from £25-200+

Does anyone have any recommendations for a high quality pair of hard wearing shorts that don't break the bank?

Also what is the difference between a £30 pair of shorts, a £60 pair and £100 pair?

I've heard these are a good value pair: http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-track-bike/Nalini-BIB-SHORTS-Nalini-C...

Does anyone have any expirence of using them?

Cheers,

T
 ClimberEd 23 Apr 2012
In reply to Captain Gear:

I had a pair of £60 endura ones and had no complaints.

Then they fell apart and I was talked into buying some Assos.

Which are,quite simply, the dogs gonads. They are beyond comfortable. I never believed that sitting on a saddle could feel like that. And apparently they are 2% carbon fibre or something.

Okay, I'm gushing, but some of the best £££ I ever spent.
DEvans 23 Apr 2012

keep an eye out for skid marks as they can be a little off putting.

any other advice you need just ask.

dan
 andy 23 Apr 2012
In reply to ClimberEd: I was going to suggest looking for the word "Assos" is a good start. Rapha have a good name (and humungous price tag too).
 Tall Clare 23 Apr 2012

My boyfriend does quite a bit of cycling and there always seems to be a pair of £60 Endura bib shorts hanging out to dry. Don't think he has any complaints.
 Richard Carter 23 Apr 2012

I have some £20 cheapo ones (altura I think they're made by?), they do the job. I've never felt uncomfortable and have done a few 150+ mile rides, multiday rides etc. I think once you find a saddle that fits you well it's just about getting out on the bike.
 David Hooper 23 Apr 2012
In reply to ClimberEd: i had an operation for cancer in my bum, which has left residual nerve pain. So I invested in the Assos F1 mille bibs and the comfort is astounding. Worth every expensive penny. My partner who isn't at all interested ed in such things was really impressed with them next to my old Enduras.Got liners.

Check on line but I've seen the Assos from 114 to 169 so shop around
 Hat Dude 23 Apr 2012

The standard answer you'd probably get is how good Assos are; I've never bought them because I know that if I spent £120 plus, I'd fall off in the 1st half mile & put a hole in them.

I've had some Giordana for a couple of years which have been good and an older pair of Biemme (not sure you can still get them).

Recently got some made by Santini reduced to £50 & so far like them very much. Decided against the newer types with gel padding, don't think they'd last and like saddles soft is not necessarily best.
 Horse 23 Apr 2012
In reply to Tall Clare:

I also have a pair and they are pretty good. However, after about 4 hours in the saddle they do start to get a bit damp with sweat and thus one runs the risk of the dreaded saddle sores. This is down to the pad construction and how it handles moisture. For longer rides better shorts are required.

CrankCrimp 23 Apr 2012

although more to pay... look out for Skins! they are insane! I was kinda sceptical about all this scientifically proven gradient compression getting more oxygen to your muscles etc. Infact, I still am, but whether its scientifically proven, or just a placebo effect, they work for me Also seem to help with recovery
yay!
 Tall Clare 23 Apr 2012
In reply to Horse:

I think he's not had any problems with his but he's only doing 100 mile rides, not proper long ones - I think he might have an upgrade in mind for a longer race this summer. Actually, scratch that, he's a triathlete - he's *bound* to have an upgrade in mind
 nniff 23 Apr 2012

I just replaced a cheapo pair of Altura shorts with some Pearl Izumi ones and the difference is considerable. They were £45 and the bibs were about £15-£20 more, but the latter didn't feel right.

Judging by what others say, it would seem that you do get what you pay for, and cranking it up another notch might well be worthwhile.
 Horse 23 Apr 2012
In reply to Tall Clare:
> (In reply to Horse)
>
> - he's *bound* to have an upgrade in mind

Well if he is ever short of ideas I am sure we could make some suggestions that would show you in a good light
 AlisonSmiles 23 Apr 2012
A friend of mine whose experience I trust simply says buy the most expensive you can afford! I'm not name dropping, but you may know where I work.
 Toby_W 23 Apr 2012

My assos ones are the best of those I own by miles. I have cheap ones, mid price ones, expensive ones and my assos ones. I'd like another pair but they are now even more expensive.

I wear them more than most of my other clothes though so price per use is low. Not only are they the most comfortable, the fit is the best and the breathability.

Cheers

Toby

Rigid Raider 23 Apr 2012
dhb bib shorts from Wiggle; great value and very comfortable. All my road cycling kit is dhb now.

....and the female clothes model on the Wiggle website is pretty cool too....!
 Tiberius 23 Apr 2012

Assos if it's a long ride, worth the extra. I also have a cheap pair from Aldi, they're not Assos, but perfectly serviceable for a short - medium ride.
 AlisonSmiles 23 Apr 2012
In reply to Rigid Raider: The dhb women's shorts though I gave a second chance at the weekend. Wish I hadn't.

Got a pair of old Assos bibshorts ( synthetic chamois pad) from a stock clearance sale at a very good price and they are comfy - though I do tend to wear a pair of slightly padded Aldi undershorts on longer runs.

I also have a pair of Giordana bibshorts with profiled padding and they are really comfy.

For winter use I have a pair of Aldi bib longs, and they are great when you need the extra warmth - as they have some windproof panels on the upper thighs and fronts of the shins.

They're all a squillion times better than the woolen ones with the real chamois inserts I used to wear back in the '60's. Synthetic fibres were just appearing then -- at a price!
 RBK 23 Apr 2012
In reply to AlisonSmiles: I got some DHB shorts for shorter rides and day to day use and they were the worst thing I've ever used. The first 2 or 3 hour wet ride I did I got quite serious abrasions in places you really don't want abrading as they were so badly finished. I've had loads of shorts from quite cheap to very expensive before and since and never experienced anything like it. In fairness to Wiggle they gave me my money back pretty quickly but I'd never touch DHB again.
 bigbobbyking 23 Apr 2012

I've had two pairs of DHB shorts and they seemed fine to me. Admittedly I've owned no others to compare them to, but they seemed to do the job: much comfier than wearing anything else on the bike.
 ripper 23 Apr 2012
In reply to Captain Gear: I've done a 100-miler in my cheapo Aldi shorts with no discomfort at all - actually that's not quite accurate, I had discomfort in my neck, shoulders, lower back, just nowhere in the shorts area! basically I'm riding I'm not really aware of them, which surely is all you can hope for? never tried any pricey ones but it's hard to see how they could be ten times better.
 TobyA 24 Apr 2012
In reply to Captain Gear: Just get bibs so they stay up. I've bought all of mine (shorts and bib tights from Decathlon). The longest ride I've done - bit over 200 kms - was in my midrange Decathlon shorts and they were fine, that included a total soaking in rain and drying out in the saddle! In fact, like the other chap I might get aches in my back and legs on long rides (and a funny tummy from eating weird energy gels and bars) but the nether regions have always been fine, so I'd recommend Decathlon if you can get there.
 steveriley 24 Apr 2012
I've had a few different ones and am normally not *that* fussy, but strike the 30 quid Specialized from your list. Horrible even for 30 mins on the turbo. Liking the Endura bibs with the orange and blue inserts at the moment.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...