UKC

500d won't Auto focus! What am I doing wrong?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 richardhopton 23 Apr 2012
For some reason it just won't take a photo in any setting on Autofocus. It will on manual focus but I think I must have a setting wrong! It's brand newish and was fine last week?

Any ideas gratefully recieved!

Thanks

Rich
 Dan Lane 23 Apr 2012
In reply to richardhopton:

Have you accidentally flicked the switch on the lens to MF instead of AF?

failing that, try cleaning the lens contacts (carefully!).
OP richardhopton 23 Apr 2012
In reply to Dan Lane:

Nope, it's on AF but it just won't take!
KevinD 23 Apr 2012
In reply to richardhopton:

have you tried a different lens?
Beyond that, assuming its not much different from a 400d i dont think there is anything that switches off auto focus in the camera. only thing would be to check what the focus point is set to (eg multiple points or single point).
 UppityClimber 23 Apr 2012
In reply to richardhopton: Canon autofocus can fail if there is not enough contrast at the focus point. Does the lense try to focus when you half press the button?
 Damo 24 Apr 2012
In reply to djangopither:
> (In reply to richardhopton) Canon autofocus can fail if there is not enough contrast at the focus point.

Yep. This happens with my 350D, wearing an 18-200 Tamron.

It doesn't happen regularly or consistently, but it does happen sometimes. Try turning it off then on again. Also, shift and focus on something else the same distance away then recompose as per the original. Not ideal but works.
 another_mark 24 Apr 2012
In reply to richardhopton: Is there enough light?

What is the lens? Have you tried cleaning the lens/camera contacts?
 JimboWizbo 25 Apr 2012
In reply to richardhopton: This happened to me when the camera couldn't focus. Maybe something is dirty, a lens or a sensor.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...